caelanb

Elon Musk nearly donated 6 billion in November to help solve world hunger

5 posts in this topic

@thisintegrated Yeah I feel like you're right. He's actually a real sweetheart deep down. Forging a path towards a rosier future. 

Edited by BuddhistLover

"Reality is a Love Simulator"-Leo Gura

Honestly, I feel like he could do more with what he has. Even if he did hypothetically donate 6 billion, that's like 2.3% of his wealth, which is very small. There is no doubt he's done some good things and is helping all of humanity go in a positive direction, but much more of his wealth, in my opinion, could be funnelled towards more urgent issues that we are facing. But, what do I know? I'm not a billionaire. There are likely many things that I have not considered which would significantly impact his spending. However, if you compare him to Bill Gates or Warren Buffet, he could do more.

:D

1 minute ago, caelanb said:

However, if you compare him to Bill Gates or Warren Buffet, he could do more.

The question is where should he donate and how much and why. Becuase he could donate for a 1000 different issues, but is donateing will solve the systemic problems why things are arising or it will just make things a little better for a while?

I think the thing is, if he would donate 75% of his money to try to mitigate the world's hunger, then there would be critics who would say "okay, but what about kids who have cancer,Isn't that more important? or "What about donateing for virus research, isn't that more important to protect humanity from potential pandemics?" etcetc.

Most global problems wouldn't be solved, even if he would donate 100% of his money and assets. That does not mean that donateing don't have any purpose i don't want to make it look like that. But i think that he is contributing a very large percentages of his money for humanity. Just look at his companies and what he is working on.

Could he do more? For sure, but compared to me or any normal person he is doing 100000% more. Then we can get into arguments like, yes he can do a lot because he has money etcetc. But i don't think that money is the only medium we could use to contribute with.