The0Self

Angelo Dilullo MD (extremely direct and comprehensive teacher of liberation)

33 posts in this topic

Upon discovering that he isn't already well known here, I am pleased to introduce this gem of a teacher to the forum. He's only been around as a public teacher for like a year -- so it makes sense that this is the first time you're hearing of him -- but he's been awake for many years. Even if you're awake yourself he's still a great guide for the absolute highest stages and embodiment of these most rarified perceptual shifts in identity.

If one is interested in awakening, he's the best teacher I've found, in my opinion. And he's an anesthesiologist which is pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/c/SimplyAlwaysAwake/featured

https://simplyalwaysawake.com/

His first book "Awake" is available.

At least one of his students authentically woke up at just age 23:

Probably the best introduction to awakening; first video of a highly recommended 5 part series on another channel called ZDoggMD:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=zdogg+awakening%2C+explained

Edited by The0Self

watched briefly... I see they are talking about self-inquiry.
when I was a child I used to have experiences where I'd feel like my ego is collapsing as I start questioning  'where am I' ' form where did I come'  'who am I really' ? and It was so scary for me that I had to calm myself down and tell myself to forget these question, and I'll forget about it and they'll disappear.

I'm not sure if I was going somewhere there with this kind of self inquiry, but I've been trying to figure out this self-inquiry business for myself, and that 'zone' seems to be the closest thing I have in my direct experience of really questioning who I'm. Idk how to reproduce anymore or who if can, but it stuck with me how powerful these inquires where and how just asking myself these questions triggered terror in me at that time.

I listened to it. It's standard neo-Advaita stuff. A great example of not God-realization.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

12 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I listened to it. It's standard neo-Advaita stuff. A great example of not God-realization.

The interview convo on ZDoggMD? He’s not going to talk that advanced in a mere introduction to awakening / “awakening, explained” video.

But yeah, this is not the same thing as God-realization, which basically requires psychedelics, relatively speaking. This is abiding nondual awareness. I believe in the following video, but certainly in several others as well, it is very clear they’re talking about the equivalent of self inquiry and spiritual autolysis. But not just the technique like any other good source on the topic, the actual experience report of what stripping layers of self away actually looked like for a person waking up from the dream of separation from everything — that's not exactly new, Jed McKenna is a good example too, but variety certainly can’t be found very easily.

Edited by The0Self

1 hour ago, The0Self said:

The interview convo on ZDoggMD?

Well, that's what my judgment was based on.

I really like this dude, clear pointers!

Let thy speech be better then silence, or be silent.

- Pseudo-dionysius 

45 minutes ago, Twentyfirst said:

what's the difference between god realization and abiding in non dual awareness? and what else is there besides those two things?

God realization is the direct experience that (and how) you're imagining the entire universe, brought on by an explosion of conscious power, generally with psychedelics but not necessarily -- it's unity consciousness taken as far as possible, basically.

Abiding nondual awareness is liberation; the irreversible collapse of separate identity; the seeing-through of other and the illusory ego byproduct (separation from everything), brought on by stripping away all layers of the ego structure/apparatus.

Edited by The0Self

2 minutes ago, Twentyfirst said:

but for god realization who is it that realizes they are imagining the universe? awareness?

God. All there is. That's just a good word for what you really are.

Edited by The0Self

8 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Well, that's what my judgment was based on.

It's some of the other videos that I was impressed by. He seems to have more success actually getting people to wake up than most other teachers. When Dr Zubin mentioned Mooji as an example of a good teacher and Dilullo nodded with him... with the greater context of having seen certain other videos of Dilullo, I'm quite certain he was just being polite. He doesn't really care too much about teachers, and just focuses on describing the daunting (while making it simple) technique of unknowing the false self. My overall impression is that his style is very much not weak-sauce. It appears ZDoggMD served to promote Angelo's book and channel -- Dr Zubin is just starting the path basically.

Edited by The0Self

1 minute ago, Twentyfirst said:

so can you have both non abiding realization and god realization ? or is one a deeper version of the other?

Three distinct awakenings I can remember: God realization, nondual recognition, liberation. Nondual recognition will always come before liberation, but other than that any of those can happen without the others -- though again liberation won't happen until after nondual recognition; liberation isn't a one and done thing like nonduality (collapse of identity), but the additional stripping away of the layers that hide the indescribable intimacy that's really going on.

6 minutes ago, Twentyfirst said:

thanks!

do you have any YouTube, blog, or writings that I can check out?

;)

I don't actually. That's maybe down the pipeline, but I'm not a teacher.

1 hour ago, Yousif said:

@The0Self you don’t necessarily need psychedelics for god realization 

That's exactly what I said; bold not in original comment:

3 hours ago, The0Self said:

God realization is the direct experience that (and how) you're imagining the entire universe, brought on by an explosion of conscious power, generally with psychedelics but not necessarily -- it's unity consciousness taken as far as possible, basically.

Abiding nondual awareness is liberation; the irreversible collapse of separate identity; the seeing-through of other and the illusory ego byproduct (separation from everything), brought on by stripping away all layers of the ego structure/apparatus.

Edited by The0Self

Self inquiry is not a good technique at least you are very advanced, otherwise it becomes mind masturbation imho

1 hour ago, RedLine said:

Self inquiry is not a good technique at least you are very advanced, otherwise it becomes mind masturbation imho

Definitely can be true. It greatly depends on the intensity of one's desire to wake up though -- If it's the #1 most important thing, then self inquiry can work even without super-high consciousness; advanced insights; deep meditative concentration skill. But you don't even have to call it self inquiry, that's just one way the path can manifest. It's a non-technique, as there's no goal to concoct experiences -- simply the intention to wake up to the true nature of everything by turning towards what can't be thought or described. There's a lot of ways it can go but they might get glimpses of no-separate-self and increasingly turn toward that -- the main conflict at that point will be the two opposing pressures of 1. fear of no-separate-self and 2. desire to wake up from untruth.

The inquiry can be done at any time. It can be useful to regard it as a pointer rather than a technique. Enlightenment is right where you left it, which is exactly the last place you'd look. The intimacy of the appearance makes it incredibly engrossing and possible to get identified with a particular part of it, namely your body / materiality. But there's no evidence for a doer / individual existence / boundaries, it's merely claimed/assumed, so you just look for that one (which is doing something i.e. being aware) constantly, and strip away perceptual layers of thought / duality / other / knowing (same with Jed's "spiritual autolysis").

Edited by The0Self

On 5/4/2022 at 6:41 PM, Leo Gura said:

Great example of not understanding what enlightenment actually is. 

Watch 100 of his videos and realize that he understands mind, consciousness, and reality so much more deeply than you do.  (I've watched almost all of them and read his book.)  Angelo is legit, deeply realized, very intelligent, and intuitive.  His videos all are aimed at directly un-knotting the myriad facets of mind-identification and perceptual filters which seemingly block THIS.  If you watch one, you might think it's surface-level advaita stuff.  It isn't.

Your work is wonderful at the level of conceptual and up.  His work is wonderful at undoing the entire construct of conceptual in direct continuous experience, and revealing what is beyond mind (which isn't no-mind!).  Only one of those is freedom, peace, love, and truth.  You can literally see this in his eyes, look for yourself.

Edited by Flyboy

@Flyboy You do not understand God-realization.

None of that stuff is it. Keep going down that road and you will never realize you are God.

13 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@Flyboy You do not understand God-realization.

None of that stuff is it. Keep going down that road and you will never realize you are God.

I want liberation, in this moment, for the rest of my life.  I want to be permanently and completely free from subject-object duality in my direct experience of every sensation.  I want to be free of the continuous suffering that referencing a "self" creates in moment-to-moment experience.  I've done enough work to see this suffering very clearly, and from here there is simply no other choice.  The deepest love is the acceptance of this moment exactly as it is.  That's the purpose of this life, and the meaning of happiness and freedom.

If I can get that far, I'll be happy to do all the psychedelics in the world and let you know what I find.  But they are dubious shortcuts, and frankly not the real work.  I've been to the Source on 60mg of DMT, and yes it was a transcendent experience.  But I'm still me, and I still suffer.  I want to BE that, not reference memories about it from tripping.  

What Angelo is talking about undoing is something so much more subtle than anything you ever talk about.  It is right at the gateway of perception.  It is in the finest details of thought and knowing and the subtle construction of time, space, frame, view, real-ness, self, etc.  If you don't undo this, literally everything is filtered by it, including psychedelic trips.  There is a reason people say psychedelics have nothing to do with enlightenment--this becomes simply obvious.  Reality is already becoming luminous for me, and this is wonderful.  Things shine with consciousness, and still there is something underneath that.  I really hope you go back and look for this when the dissatisfaction really starts to eat at you, because on your path you can never escape that.

8 hours ago, Bandman said:

@Leo Gura

But shouldn't any inquiry into Truth ultimately lead to God-Realization?

Nope

So how can you say for sure a certain path won't ever lead to God realization?

Watching cartoons could lead to God-realization, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Why am I so pessmistic about self-inquiry? Because I barely see any such people know what God is. I have met and seen a lot of neo-advaita self-inquirers -- students and teachers -- and it's just obvious they aren't fully awake.

If it is true we should be able to find it out without aiming for it but just by inquiring into Truth.

In practice that is not good enough.

1 hour ago, Flyboy said:

I want liberation, in this moment, for the rest of my life.  I want to be permanently and completely free from subject-object duality in my direct experience of every sensation.  I want to be free of the continuous suffering that referencing a "self" creates in moment-to-moment experience.  I've done enough work to see this suffering very clearly, and from here there is simply no other choice.  The deepest love is the acceptance of this moment exactly as it is.  That's the purpose of this life, and the meaning of happiness and freedom.

If I can get that far, I'll be happy to do all the psychedelics in the world and let you know what I find.  But they are dubious shortcuts, and frankly not the real work.  I've been to the Source on 60mg of DMT, and yes it was a transcendent experience.  But I'm still me, and I still suffer.  I want to BE that, not reference memories about it from tripping.

That's fine. But in focusing on that you miss God.

1 hour ago, Flyboy said:

What Angelo is talking about undoing is something so much more subtle than anything you ever talk about.

Please, spare me the BS.

Angelo and enlightenment are fictions of your mind. And you do not understand that!

But carry on with your dreams.