Gabriel Joy

Short Profound Quotes

20 posts in this topic

I've been trying to think of quotes that are short but profound, something you'd be able to memorise easily. However, I haven't been able to come up with any in the past few days. Therefore, I turn to the community.

Do you know any short but profound quotes? It could be about any topic. If you know any, please post them below.

“Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions.”
― David Hume

Inaccurate by my Scottish favorite, I would say though that instead reason is always a slave of emotions, but not only.

"In symbols one observes an advantage in discovery which is greatest when they express the exact nature of a thing briefly and, as it were, picture it; then indeed the labor of thought is wonderfully diminished."

― Leibniz

It is ridiculous the way expressions (symbols, words) are never quite accurate, yet super efficient in a given moment in which you impose on them their perfect context. The downside is that trough time this may enforce undue self-criticism.

Edited by Reciprocality

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

Just some I’ve gathered the past couple years, not much. Just the ones that stick with me. The hashtags are for search function

B9AB33BC-A3EE-4ECF-AD11-EFF5894E30A1.png

5F221F61-E7E4-4033-8FDD-2480D49FF30B.png

Beyond ideas of right and wrong there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi

"Sometimes when it's dark - we have to be the light in our own tunnel"

How I wish, how I wish you were here

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl

Year after year

Running over the same old ground

What have we found?

The same old fears

Wish you were here

"Life is a game that must be played with dead seriousness."

-Leo Gura

"Nothing is hard or easy. Competition for survival is the condition of life. It is our Dharma to fight the battle of life courageously and righteously."

-Chin-Ning Chu

“We have two ears and one mouth so we can listen twice as much as we speak." -Epictetus

'The way we see a problem, IS the problem.'

- Stephan covey

Music is Love in disguise.

Imagine a future where Self Integration, Exploration and Creation is  normalized and encouraged.

https://wakingcall.com/

Love is only authentic only when it gives freedom

Osho

Edited by Dan502
I misquoted

Profound Familiarity
An Audio Journal

Thank you everyone for replying! I appreciate all the quotes you gave me. :)

My intention was for inspiration of what profound quote I could put in my yearbook that would resonate with me for the rest of my life and perhaps make my friends curious of the quote. I ended up picking the following:

Nothing can make you happy until Nothing can make you happy - Jeff Foster

I wasn't originally planning on using your quotes, but this one resonated with me so much that I wouldn't be as authentic if I put anything else, so thank you for the quote!

@SamC

On 4/30/2022 at 3:01 AM, SamC said:

Beyond ideas of right and wrong there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi

a song that I believe was inspired by this quote.

https://youtu.be/ElUMn9exqyg

Edited by Adodd

I have a few that I would like to share, some of my faves! Not that short but... :P

We are no longer facing a material crisis. We have plenty of resources: TVs and clothes and goods that we don't need. The problem we face is existential and spiritual. We have so much stuff and so many opportunities that we don't know what to give a fuck about anymore. - Mark Manson

The desire for a more positive experience is itself a negative experience. And, paradoxically, the acceptance of one's negative experience is itself a positive experience. - Mark Manson

There's too much money here. No one should be hitting the lotto for $36 million and we got people starving in the streets. That's not idealistic, that's just real. There's no way Michael Jackson, or whoever, should have $100 million dollars and there are people starving, there's no way. There's no way these people own planes and there are people who don't own houses, apartments, shacks, drawers. - Tupac

"It's all about love... making someone else's existence just a little easier. Nothing else matters, I know this now." - Terence McKenna

It's clearly a crisis of two things: of consciousness and conditioning. We have the technological power, the engineering skills to save the planet, to cure disease, to feed the hungry, to end war; but we lack the intellectual vision, the ability to change our minds. We must decondition ourselves from 10,000 years of bad behavior. And, it's not easy. - Terence McKenna

“We are caged by our cultural programming. Culture is a mass hallucination, and when you step outside the mass hallucination you see it for what it’s worth.” - Terence McKenna

"Man sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."

"You are a focal point of aware consciousness"

- Eckhart Tolle.

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

"The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young"

-Oscar Wilde