DefinitelyNotARobot

How do you get your epistemology "right"?

10 posts in this topic

I'm not quiet sure how I'm supposed to articulate this question. I'm making so many assumptions even just by asking it. I feel like they're going to taint the quality of the question itself.

It's scary to think about all the assumptions that I make throughout the day without knowing. Assumptions, in a way, are like the bedrock of my personal sense of reality. Even right now it feels like there is a "me" asking this questions, like as if this question is coming from "somewhere". That's an assumption. ONE assumption existing within a sea of assumptions that all come together to form a very complex framework of what I consider to be reality if that makes sense. Even just thinking about untangling this network seems so ridiculous to me that it makes me laugh. BUT THAT'S ANOTHER ASSUMPTION. What if it isn't ridiculous? What if it's genuinely possible? Or what if it isn't even necessary? 

Okay I actually don't even know what the damn question is at this point. This is so paralyzing and I feel like I need to vent. There is a question somewhere deep down within me, but I don't fucking get it. Just thinking about this stuff makes it feel like my brain is melting. Maybe that's the point but how would I know. It just frustrates me.

Where do I even start with any of this? There are so many directions that I could go with this, but I don't know which direction is the right direction. I don't know if there even is a "right direction"? Hell I don't even know if there any directions at all. I don't even know where any of this is leading. What's the point of writing this here? I don't know, I just hope that something will happen. I feel like a scientist throwing some shit at a wall to see what sticks, but everything seems to be going straight through the wall. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so stressful.

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

beep boop

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

Okay I actually don't even know what the damn question is at this point. This is so paralyzing and I feel like I need to vent. There is a question somewhere deep down within me, but I don't fucking get it. Just thinking about this stuff makes it feel like my brain is melting. Maybe that's the point but how would I know. It just frustrates me.

Embrace the absurdity and let go.  Your mind is trying to cope with Infinity and it simply can’t.  Learn to let go and let reality unfold as it is, or you will go mad.  

Or as it is put in the Bible:

”Be still and know that I am God.” ~ Psalm 46:10

or maybe surrender already

i don't know, is the beginning of wisdom

and i don't mean saying it i mean living it

imagine if you went about your day not relying on any memory whatsoever

everything fresh vivid wondrous child-like magical

when you speak to someone, imagine that this topic is being discussed for the first time

Here's the process I use :

1. Identify things in life that cause me pain
  2. Contemplate on those things until I have observed them from every angle possible
  3. The pain usually comes from a mismatch between an assumption I have and reality
  4. Contemplate the assumption until I have observed it from every angle possible (what survival goal does it serve, etc...)
  5. Accept assumption and let it go, now I have increased my awareness of it and can see it influencing me on a day to day basis
  6. Repeat infinitely

@DefinitelyNotARobot Good! You are recognizing the depth of the epistemic problem. You are seeing the truth in this case: which is that you really don't know/understand. This is a good starting point. You have to wonder, Is any understanding possible at all? Maybe not, but also maybe yes. After all, you do understand how to open a door. So maybe you can understand some deep stuff.

You can start here: What can you say is absolutely true for you? And keep contemplating that question.

Hint: Rather than trying to have the answers quickly, focus on asking good questions to yourself and observing the process of consciousness which struggles with the questions. Be patient and enjoy contemplating reality rather than trying to reach some imagined end.

Also huge hint: Contemplate on psychedelics. You will save yourself 30 years.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

3 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@DefinitelyNotARobot Good! You are recognizing the depth of the epistemic problem. You are seeing the truth in this case: which is that you really don't know/understand. This is a good starting point. You have to wonder, Is any understanding possible at all? Maybe not, but also maybe yes. After all, you do understand how to open a door. So maybe you can understand some deep stuff.

You can start here: What can you say is absolutely true for you? And keep contemplating that question.

Hint: Rather than trying to have the answers quickly, focus on asking good questions to yourself and observing the process of consciousness which struggles with the questions. Be patient and enjoy contemplating reality rather than trying to reach some imagined end.

Also huge hint: Contemplate on psychedelics. You will save yourself 30 years.

On a meta level, everything is so different. Then there are relative truths and then there are absolute truths. But the only way right now is relative.. So umm. But then for everyone relative is also different. That is. There is no fixed definition of ehst you see. Then you can't try to define it. But you have to live through proper understanding of the nature of ehst you see

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

It's honestly still very confusing but maybe that's just part of the contemplation process or maybe it's just life, I don't know. I'll try my best to follow the advice I've gotten here and see where it leads though I don't know what to expect which makes it a little scary. I guess that's also part of it. Thanks!

beep boop

22 hours ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

It's honestly still very confusing but maybe that's just part of the contemplation process or maybe it's just life, I don't know. I'll try my best to follow the advice I've gotten here and see where it leads though I don't know what to expect which makes it a little scary. I guess that's also part of it. Thanks!

Yes, for maximum growth start contemplating on the confusion. What am I trying to find the answer to ? Why am I confused about it ? Where does the difficulty to find the answer come from ?