Lise

When life gives you lemons...

6 posts in this topic

WARNING: Massive first world problem ahead

Hello actualized.org forum!

A couple of weeks ago I bought my first apartment, a new one that's being built, and will be ready in a couple of years. I was super excited, and for weeks I couldn't stop dreaming about how wonderful it would be to live there, compared to the low standard shared apartments that I'm used to. Well, just found out that they are planning to build a skatepark there with multiple bowls. It's going to be noisy. Super noisy. I feel utterly devastated, in fact I'm crying as I'm typing this.

This is just one of thousand small shit situations I've been through in the past few years. I know that this, even in the first world, is a really unproblematic problem, but what does one concretely do when one, for years, have been feeling like the problems in life seem to just pile up. Everything is difficult. Nothing is easy. There's always something unexpected that one needs to deal with. Life is a steeper and steeper hill. Just when you feel like things are finally going your way, nope! 

Please only semi-serious replies. My ego is fragile.

If you are going to reply "be grateful", please give an argument for why I shouldn't be a whiny little bitch.

As an old skater, all I can say is that I doubt that it will be as noisy as you may imagine it will be. Regular traffic is in general much louder I would say. One thing with skate bowls, is that there can't even be alot of people skating in them at once, and those who do skate in them don't make alot of loud noises. People who skate are  very chill in general as well, even the younger. 

You mentioned apartment, so what floor will you live on then?

Edited by ZzzleepingBear

10 minutes ago, ZzzleepingBear said:

As an old skater, all I can say is that I doubt that it will be as noisy as you may imagine it will be. Regular traffic is in general much louder I would say. One thing with skate bowls, is that there can't even be alot of people skating in them at once, and those who do skate in them don't make alot of loud noises. People who skate are  very chill in general as well, even the younger. 

You mentioned apartment, so what floor will you live on then?

6th. Pff that's a relief. Now I don't have to be as worried for the next couple of years until I move in. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Lise said:

6th. Pff that's a relief. Now I don't have to be as worried for the next couple of years until I move in. Thanks.

Thats nice. Yeah no need to stress over it. Another thing I forgot to mention, is that new built apartments tends to be built to be more sound proof than older renovated apartments. But that may differ from country to country, but I would assume that it improves in general in modern citys across the globe. You're welcome!

11 hours ago, Lise said:

WARNING: Massive first world problem ahead

Hello actualized.org forum!

A couple of weeks ago I bought my first apartment, a new one that's being built, and will be ready in a couple of years. I was super excited, and for weeks I couldn't stop dreaming about how wonderful it would be to live there, compared to the low standard shared apartments that I'm used to. Well, just found out that they are planning to build a skatepark there with multiple bowls. It's going to be noisy. Super noisy. I feel utterly devastated, in fact I'm crying as I'm typing this.

This is just one of thousand small shit situations I've been through in the past few years. I know that this, even in the first world, is a really unproblematic problem, but what does one concretely do when one, for years, have been feeling like the problems in life seem to just pile up. Everything is difficult. Nothing is easy. There's always something unexpected that one needs to deal with. Life is a steeper and steeper hill. Just when you feel like things are finally going your way, nope! 

Please only semi-serious replies. My ego is fragile.

If you are going to reply "be grateful", please give an argument for why I shouldn't be a whiny little bitch.

Gratitude journal and death meditation might be options

As stated in your post, it seems your problem isn't the apartment at all. It sound more like as you are going through life, you feel repeatedly taken advantage of by society, powerless to do anything about it. That is a problem, an existential one, not a first world one.

I would highly recommend Leo's video on scams if you haven't seen it :