thisintegrated

The Journal

894 posts in this topic

Just now, AtheisticNonduality said:

Multi-perspectivalism may also recognize that some perspectives are better than others, so there is no reason to uphold every perspective as good, just, righteous, and pure. We might as well suggest that all but the best are bad, unjust, unrighteous, and impure. So what then makes anime worth watching?

Anime isn't unique.  Nothing makes it worse than films.  In fact, for the same budget the possibilities are much greater in an anime.

Almost no one can afford to make proper scifi tv shows / film, yet any anime studio can do this no problem.  Wanna make the setting an alien planet?  Well, the series budget better be at least 100/200 million USD, so 99% of stories can't be told on any filmed format.  For anime something like this isn't even constraint.  Set the anime a million years in the future if you want, it's not gonna impact the budget.

Thus, we can conclude that, if anything, anime is an objectively superior medium for storytelling.  So if you're already happy with the inferior mediums you're familiar with, then you must watch anime.

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

Anime isn't unique.  Nothing makes it worse than films.  In fact, for the same budget the possibilities are much greater in an anime.

Almost no one can afford to make proper scifi tv shows / film, yet any anime studio can do this no problem.  Wanna make the setting an alien planet?  Well, the series budget better be at least 100/200 million USD, so 99% of stories can't be told on any filmed format.  For anime something like this isn't even constraint.  Set the anime a million years in the future if you want, it's not gonna impact the budget.

Thus, we can conclude that, if anything, anime is an objectively superior medium for storytelling.  So if you're already happy with the inferior mediums you're familiar with, then you must watch anime.

xD You just proved anime has a lower commodity-value than live action because of how inexpensive it is in terms of production, labor, money as representing labor. There's a reason diamonds and other precious gems are expensive and dirt is worthless, even though it's conceivable to have a show made out of diamond and a show made out of dirt portraying the same things.

Edited by AtheisticNonduality

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

xD You just proved anime has a lower commodity-value than live action because of how inexpensive it is. There's a reason diamonds and other precious gems are expensive and dirt is worthless, even though it's conceivable to have a show made out of diamond and a show made out of dirt portraying the same things.

How is being more expensive to produce an advantage?  There's no benefit.  It's just more wasteful.

You pay more, get lower artistic value, and the extra costs get passed onto consumers.  It's a lose-lose situation.

Edited by thisintegrated

Posted (edited)

@thisintegrated Because being more expensive correlates with a certain finished product. Because diamonds are so difficult to obtain, they are more expensive both to mine and to buy and are valuable due to their rarity. Whereas, jewelry made of dirt is inexpensive to create and also to purchase due to its common status. But to make this analogy more complete, we have to think of the beauty of it. The true reason diamonds are more valued than dirtiness is because of the beautiful quality, which as a pattern of life is often more difficult to get ahold of than what fails to meet that standard.

So, you have to actually bring good arguments for the high quality of it, since you may be able to portray more things with the same budget but with dirt rather than precious gem quality.

Just now, AtheisticNonduality said:

@thisintegrated Because being more expensive correlates with a certain finished product. Because diamonds are so difficult to obtain, they are more expensive both to mine and to buy are valuable due to their rarity. Whereas, jewelry made of dirt is inexpensive to create and also to purchase due to its common status. But to make this analogy more complete, we have to think of the beauty of it. The true reason diamonds are more valued than dirtiness is because of the beautiful quality, which as a pattern of life is often more difficult to get ahold of than what fails to meet that standard.

So, you have to actually bring good arguments for the high quality of it, since you may be able to portray more things with the same budget but with dirt rather than precious gem quality.

The only reason diamonds are valuable is because of corruption amongst diamond mining companies.  Their price says nothing of their ability to perform any practical task.  They're not even the shiniest stones, so they even lose out in terms of aesthetics.

Caviar is expensive, but it tastes like shit.  Whale vomit is more expensive than diamonds, but for your aims it's useless.  The price they're able to charge for something means little to nothing.

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

@thisintegrated Name reasons to watch anime.

Imagine if suddenly all your memories of every movie you've ever watched were erased, and movies just didn't exist.

You'd be left with:

Documentaries.  Series.

And that's basically it.  Without movies, 33% of your visual media is gone.  By not watching anime, that's basically what you're doing.  You're deleting a significant chunk of your entertainment.

Every medium has its own Game of Thrones & Breaking Bad.  The 10/10 classics that are a must watch.  This goes for books, music, films, series, AND anime.  Even if you weren't into series and only watched movies, you'd surely agree that there are a handful of series that are worth watching.  Well you'd be saying the same about anime if you were more aware of what it has to offer.

Edited by thisintegrated

Posted (edited)

@thisintegrated NOT ALL MEDIUMS ARE EQUAL. TV shows > movies > stick figure animations > anime (probably). Your job is explain why anime is good SPECIFICALLY and not just in the same universe as other mediums as something under the pretense of being equally valid just since it's equally one medium among many alternatives.

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

@thisintegrated NOT ALL MEDIUMS ARE EQUAL. TV shows > movies > stick figure animations > anime (probably). Your job is explain why anime is good SPECIFICALLY and not just in the same universe as other mediums as something under the pretense of being equally valid just since it's equally one medium among many alternatives.

You haven't given a reason for why anime is inferior to tv shows.  The diamond argument was just silly.

A medium should be judged on how well it achieves its purpose.  And anime achieves the purpose of storytelling more efficiently than filmed mediums.

If your medium doesn't allow the telling of a certain kind of story, or if you're having to write your story around the constraints of what you can do with filming, then your medium is objectively inferior.

Edited by thisintegrated

@thisintegrated Telling more types of stories does not mean you tell them better. The low budget format of two-dimensionality could easily degrade the character of the story told. This should be obvious, but you have yet to offer a single reason for why anybody should watch it.

But I understand what you mean by certain formats being able to tell greater stories with less budget. The entire spirit of some segment of humanity may be caught here.

2 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

@thisintegrated Telling more types of stories does not mean you tell them better. The low budget format of two-dimensionality could easily degrade the character of the story told. This should be obvious, but you have yet to offer a single reason for why anybody should watch it.

But I understand what you mean by certain formats being able to tell greater stories with less budget. The entire spirit of some segment of humanity may be caught here.

I only started watching anime like 6 years ago.  I was always a movie and TV shows person.  And to me anime is the superior medium.  But they all have their place.  TV shows do some things better, but rarely.

Among the best things I've seen in my life, over half of them are from anime.  Anime can take risks, and so you end up having a lot more exceptionally good stories in the form of anime.

55 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

And to me anime is the superior medium. TV shows do some things better, but rarely.

Okay, I'm going to need some examples of what you mean by this besides the ability to depict more things since you have a lower budget for certain things because it's very lo-fi graphics, which is basically what I've been asking for the whole time.

7 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

Okay, I'm going to need some examples of what you mean by this besides the ability to depict more things since you have a lower budget for certain things because it's very lo-fi graphics, which is basically what I've been asking for the whole time.

Well, not only are more things possible in an anime, but on average anime are more entertaining too.  Americans aren't super imaginative and their superhero tv shows are a bit shit tbh.

@thisintegrated Horrible night last night. Didn't sleep due to constant overthinking. I seem to have the knowledge that the brain can self-damage and has no need of an external power like a concussive blow to wipe itself out.

On 23/05/2022 at 6:59 PM, AtheisticNonduality said:

@thisintegrated Horrible night last night. Didn't sleep due to constant overthinking. I seem to have the knowledge that the brain can self-damage and has no need of an external power like a concussive blow to wipe itself out.

?‍??‍??‍?

1 hour ago, thisintegrated said:

?‍??‍??‍?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, why must God have forsaken me?

12 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, why must God have forsaken me?

Come here, my son, there is nothing to worry.

Posted (edited)

Looking back, I think @lmfao was a Red/Orange INTJ.  Would explain his violent tendencies.  Although an INTJ, like Atheistic, they could not be any more different.  RIP.  Good riddance.

Edited by thisintegrated

23 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

Looking back, I think @lmfao was a Red/Orange INTJ.  Would explain his violent tendencies.  Although an INTJ, like Atheistic, they could not be any more different.  RIP.  Good riddance.

He had some demon issues, as you can see.