Someone here

What's the best book you ever read ?

42 posts in this topic

Recommend to me the best book you have ever read. :)

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

A Course in Miracles.

But i admit i have i bias toward it, because it is my spiritual path...

Mastery by george leonard

Mastery by robert greene

Tiny habits by bj fogg

One thing by gary keller and  jay papasan

7 habits of highly effective people

The path of least resistance by robert fritz

3 hours ago, Callum Milner said:

Letting go by David Hawkins 

Yes, any book by the doctor. 

Nonfiction: Adyashanti, Jed McKenna, Castaneda, McKee, Joseph Campbell, Vernon Howard; The Book of Not Knowing, Think and Grow Rich, The Religion of Tomorrow, The Doors of Perception

Fiction: Lolita, Philosopher's Stone, The Alchemist, City of Thieves

Edited by The Mystical Man

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

The one that had the most impact on me was The Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

I recently read 1984 and that one also left a big imprint on me.

anything by bernadette roberts or david hawkins, all their books i intend to keep reading over and over throughout my life

Most Influential:

- The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.

- Spinoza's Ethics.

- Conversations with God By Neale Donald Walsch.

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

I really liked the Walt Disney biography by Neal Gabler. For me biographies are the most memorable and something I think back on a lot. They are also enjoyable to read. 

I have read a lot of books that have change my life in many different ways. So just picking one would be quite hard. A lot of them are on Leo's book list, so I am not going to plaster all of them here. 

14 hours ago, Benton said:

For me, the Stormlight archive.

Yours is the latest in a string of recommendations about Sanderson and The Stormlight Archive 1- 3 will be my next book order.

Thanks!

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha: An Unusually Hardcore Dharma Book (Second Edition) by Daniel Ingram

“Guerilla Warfare” by Ernesto Che Guevara.   The technology is way out of date, but it is an interesting historical text that it is still widely studied in US counterinsurgency schools and military academies.  

Vincit omnia Veritas.

On 16/04/2022 at 2:52 PM, itachi uchiha said:

Mastery by george leonard

Mastery by robert greene

Tiny habits by bj fogg

One thing by gary keller and  jay papasan

7 habits of highly effective people

The path of least resistance by robert fritz

What about the quran ?;)

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

I wouldn't say it was the best, but it was a good starting point for my existential crisis. The book is written in my native language, and I'm not sure if it's translated to any other language. Anyway, the name of the book is something like "The absurdity of the human mind". It basically talks about how illogical religion is, and so for me at that point (probably about 8 years ago) it was mind-blowing since I was super religious.

Then, some years later, after a year or so of getting into spirituality, I started reading from Jed McKenna. Specifically, the book called "Spiritual Enlightenment - The Damnest Thing". And it was very enlightening for sure.

Of course, I recommend any book that talks about logical fallacies for every human being, but that's like just basic.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe,  considered by some to be the Uylessys of the sci-fi genre for its depth and originality.

The book is set in a far off future where the sun is dying and human society has regressed from an interstellar empire to a Stage Red feudal society trapped on a dying world.

The story is written from the point of view of an unreliable narrator, as an in-universe political memoir of how a lowly executioner ascended to the throne.

The work explores spiritual and metaphysical ideas, while also being a deconstruction of the Hero's Journey. In addition it's as chock full of literary allusions and references as a Herman Melville book.

That said I wouldn't recommend this book to everybody, as it's not a by any means light reading. It's a thought provoking and challenging book that rewards paying close attention, and rereading. If I had to try and think of a comparable work it would probably be Frank Herbert's Dune.

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

1 hour ago, Someone here said:

What about the quran ?;)not enough for self actualization

Did not read its meaning completly.imo it is not enough for self actualization unless u r some super outlier

Edited by itachi uchiha