no_name

Cognitive functions

202 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

You use a lot of Ti, Ne, and Ni.  Nemesis Te and Critial Ni seems to fit you?‍♂️

Why do you think I have a critical Ni? Sorry I am just really curious to see your reasoning :$.

Edited by no_name

17 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Right now I'm in studies mode, because that is what MBTI is lacking.

But you don’t show any understanding of these studies, you are just repeating the same thing over and over instead of trying to reason things out.

Edited by no_name

15 minutes ago, no_name said:

Hm, why do you think I have a critical Ni? 

INTPs have Ni in their "Critical Parent" function slot.  Ne sees many possibilities, and Ni narrows them down to "the one truth".  From what I saw in your post about Russian TV propaganda, it looked like Ni.

15 minutes ago, no_name said:

Sorry I am just really curious to see your reasoning :$

Ask anything you want.  I don't mind.

Edited by thisintegrated

Just now, thisintegrated said:

INTPs have Ni in their "Critical Parent" function slot.  Ne sees many possibilities, and Ni narrows them down to "the one truth".  From what I saw in your post about Russian TV propaganda, it looked like Ni.

But why it would be critical Ni? I am Ni dominant 

17 minutes ago, no_name said:

But why it would be critical Ni? I am Ni dominant 

It's possible.  All I know for sure is you're an NT.

I did consider INTJ, but INTJs are Te users, and are typically more "goal-oriented", not caring about theories or discussions without a specific end-goal.

INTJs, INTPs, and ENTPs are often mistaken for one another, and need more examination than most other types..

You could be an INFJ, but your Ti would seem too active for an INFJ.

Edited by thisintegrated

29 minutes ago, no_name said:

But you don’t show any understanding of these studies, you are just repeating the same thing over and over instead of trying to reason things out.

I keep repeating it because you keep refusing to engage with it. I've already acknowledged that my knowledge of things like statistics is limited, but I don't see how that should make you unable to recognize the existence of some stats. Can you atleast acknowledge the fact that if you search "MBTI is unscientific" on Google, it gives you pages upon pages of relevant articles? Is this fact not the least bit relevant?

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

17 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

I keep repeating it because you keep refusing to engage with it. To me it's starting to feel like you're intentionally steering away from the original topic and turning it into a meta-discussion. I've already acknowledged that my knowledge of things like statistics is limited, but I don't see how that should make you unable to recognize the existence of some stats. Without being evasive and trying to psychoanalyse me, can you atleast acknowledge the fact that if you search "MBTI is unscientific" on Google, it gives you pages upon pages of relevant articles? Is this fact not the least bit relevant?

I am not refusing to engage with it. I keep telling you MBTI test and cognitive functions are different things. @thisintegrated is also telling you that the test to find out what your personality type is, is flawed indeed, and you shouldn’t rely on a test to find out what your personality type is. I told you that there is a difference between depression and a test for depression. Yet you keep saying that MBTI is flawed because the test is not good. You are not willing to understand what I am saying, so I try to spoon feed it to you and break it down - like asking you to tell me what is big 5 predicting. 

Edited by no_name

18 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

It's possible.  All I know for sure is you're an NT.

But Ni users are Te users.  So assuming you're a Ti, you should be a Ne.

I did consider INTJ, but INTJs are Te users, and are typically more "goal-oriented", not caring about theories or discussions without a specific end-goal.

INTJs, INTPs, and ENTPs are often mistaken for one another, and need more examination than most other types..

I am an NF ?. I just have a strong Ti because of work. 

Just now, no_name said:

I am not refusing to engage with it. I keep telling you MBTI test and cognitive functions are different things. @thisintegrated is also telling you that the test to find out what your personality type is, is flawed indeed, and you shouldn’t rely on a test to find out what your personality type is. Yet you keep saying that MBTI is flawed because the test is not good. You are not willing to understand what I am saying, so I try to spoon feed it to you. 

MBTI were derived from the cognitive functions after all. Maybe this has something to do with it? How can you know if the cognitive functions are flawed or not?

8 minutes ago, no_name said:

I am an NF ?. I just have a strong Ti because of work. 

27 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

You could be an INFJ, but your Ti would seem too active for an INFJ.

haha, okay that makes sense.  I never think of INFJs as Ti users as usually it's their Fe nature that comes through more strongly.  It's an uncommon type.

Most of the time, xxFx types don't show their Ts very much, and xxTx types don't show their Fs very much.

Edited by thisintegrated

@no_name

On 4/14/2022 at 8:29 AM, no_name said:

I have been studying cognitive functions, first discovered by Carl Jung, and I am blown by them. I wanted to ask if anyone else here has had any experience with this? Which sources would you recommend for studying this further? How was it useful to you on your self improved journey? 

I would also like to hear any criticisms of these concepts? (Not mbti thought, I am interested in the functions themselves and not the tests) 

Discovering this has been as mind blowing, if not more, as SD. I am surprised that no one is talking about this and the concepts are still rather unpopular. 

Studying these concepts made me feel more cognitively smarter.

Edited by Danioover9000

1 minute ago, thisintegrated said:

haha, okay that makes sense.  I never think of INFJs as Ti users as usually it's their Fe that comes through more strongly.  It's an uncommon type.

Sorry to keep bugging you, what would be an example of an Fe coming out strongly? What, for example, would it be sounding like in this discussion or in the discussion about Russian propaganda? 

Just now, no_name said:

Sorry to keep bugging you, what would be an example of an Fe coming out strongly? What, for example, would it be sounding like in this discussion or in the discussion about Russian propaganda? 

INTPs have Fe, which is partly why I suspected you may be an INTP.  By saying things like "Sorry to keep bugging you", you're demonstrating a focus/awareness of someone else's mood.  I didn't consciously notice, I just get a feel for Fe/Fi, most of the time.

Also, xxFx types rarely engage in long Ti-heavy theory/debate, without some emotional cause.  They may talk about ideals, what's right, someone's feelings/experiences, and may use Ti to support all this, but rarely do they go all in on Ti for Ti's sake.

8 minutes ago, SriSriJustinBieber said:

@thisintegrated You would have Ti & Ne, right? ENTP most probably.

Did you just guess that? lol, go back a page, I posted my type when @no_name asked.

Also, xxFx types rarely engage in long Ti-heavy theory/debate, without some emotional cause.  They may talk about ideals, what's right, someone's feelings/experiences, and may use Ti to support all this, but rarely do they go all in on Ti for Ti's sake.

I am engaging because it’s annoying to me when someone is talking about something so convincingly and stubbornly when they don’t have much/any knowledge in it, I feel like it’s not right (so there is an emotional cause :$)

Did you just guess that? lol, go back a page, I posted my type when @no_name asked.

Oh I just checked, I got a feeling for it from the messages you posted on this page, I couldn't have said 7w8 however because I don't know the enneagram very well.

3 minutes ago, no_name said:

I am engaging because it’s annoying to me when someone is talking about something so convincingly and stubbornly when they don’t have much/any knowledge in it, I feel like it’s not right (so there is an emotional cause :$)

This would be critical Fi.  Meaning you are critical of people's personal views/beliefs/feelings.  So yeah I guess INFJ does fit you.

@no_name Let's try again:

So by MBTI, you're referring to the test developed by Myers and Briggs.

By cognitive functions, you're referring to the cognitive functions (e.g. Ne and Ti) and the way they combine to form types (e.g. ENTP).

If that's correct, then that clears things up. I thought all along that you separated the functions from the types. Combine that with the fact that when people say MBTI, they often refer to the types and not any particular test, it really screws things up. My bad.

Now, by which metrics, if not by using a test to find correlations with observed behavior, are the cognitive functions scientifically valid?

23 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

This would be critical Fi.  Meaning you are critical of people's personal views/beliefs/feelings.  So yeah I guess INFJ does fit you.

A related question - what can a person do with their critical function? Is there any hope to fix it? 

Edited by no_name