Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Meditationdude

% theory vs. practice

6 posts in this topic

In all honesty how much thinking and theorizing do you do vs. actual practice?(observing direct experience, being present, meditation, contemplation, etc..)

I started out around 90% theory and 10 practice but after 5 years in the game it slowly flipped. 

I would consider being on this forum theory, obviously. 

99,99999% theory. The rest is also theory with some practice mixed in. Psychedelic awakening showed me how hopelessly unconscious I really am. I'm completely honest. Today I was probably less conscious than in 5 minutes of my last LSD experience. Here some seconds, there some seconds. Staying focused and aware for more than 15 seconds happens like once a day. 

Edited by Vynce

@Vynce well yeah, but an awakening level of consciousness is not what I’m referring to as practice. I think you know what practice is 

8 minutes ago, Meditationdude said:

well yeah, but an awakening level of consciousness is not what I’m referring to as practice.

I don't want to get too technical but there is no "practice for consciousness". Either you are conscious right now or not. It's completely irrelevant if you sit in a "practice room" or have "practice timer" running. None of this can help you with being aware of what is. Even in the most non-practicable environment you can be conscious of what is. 

Spirituality is endlessly paradoxical if thinking is involved :D So I stop my texting (thinking) here to be more conscious. 

If I am considering theory these days, it is altering my state, usually quite significantly. It wasn’t always this way. 

I combine theory with practice. A thought is a portal into a certain state if you have the experience with practice to make proper use of it. 

There’s not really any radically new theory I come across these days. At most, it’s usually just a bit of a different spin on something I’ve already gone over quite a bit. States are what is new. They are eternally new, with some varying more than others. I value the states themselves far above the theory nowadays. The theory is like a hammer to help drive in a nail. 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY