Kamo

Does anyone have any good Tofu recipes?

20 posts in this topic

Anyone have any good Tofu recipes to share?

What you season or marinade with?

I've been experimenting with different stuff and thought Id ask the forum. 

Open to any suggestions, I even tried peanut butter powder so lay em on me. lol

Focus on the solution, not the problem

I like them in a cold dish.

A very simple/accessible one is just chopped-up squares (raw) seasoned with some salt and sliced green onions!

And if you want more elaborate.. look up cold tofu dish (hiyayakko, chinese cold tofu salad)

I like them in miso soups too. 

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ . ♪ 星空のディスタンス ♫┆彡 what are you dreaming today?

天国が来る | 私は道であり、真実であり、命であり。

I put mine in a an air fryer. It is extremely painful cooking them on the stove top.  I get them to start browning, then put some hot sauce on them, then cook it onto them. 

I use this hot sauce:

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/arizona-pepper-products-organic-jalapeno-pepper-sauce-5-fl-oz-liquid?SourceCode=INTL4071&showPopup=f&DFA=1&UTM_Medium=PaidSearch&UTM_Source=GOOGLE&UTM_Campaign=SWAN_National_Gen_Shopping_Null_Null_Healthy_Food_Smart+Healthy+Food&UTM_Content=PRODUCT_GROUP&SourceCode=INTL4071&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgMqSBhDCARIsAIIVN1UUzqczEekpEoQ_LKilekGgeXg4Ge1JUalhZ7CjwWOdRDztyfnWCGkaAjkwEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have not found any other sauces that meet what I want. I find most have added sugars and junk. The one I linked is super clean and it tastes good. 

Derek Simnet has tons on his YouTube channel

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 4/10/2022 at 8:24 PM, puporing said:

I like them in a cold dish.

A very simple/accessible one is just chopped-up squares (raw) seasoned with some salt and sliced green onions!

And if you want more elaborate.. look up cold tofu dish (hiyayakko, chinese cold tofu salad)

I like them in miso soups too. 

Awesome I will try this, Thank You!

On 4/10/2022 at 8:31 PM, Average Investor said:

I put mine in a an air fryer. It is extremely painful cooking them on the stove top.  I get them to start browning, then put some hot sauce on them, then cook it onto them. 

I use this hot sauce:

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/arizona-pepper-products-organic-jalapeno-pepper-sauce-5-fl-oz-liquid?SourceCode=INTL4071&showPopup=f&DFA=1&UTM_Medium=PaidSearch&UTM_Source=GOOGLE&UTM_Campaign=SWAN_National_Gen_Shopping_Null_Null_Healthy_Food_Smart+Healthy+Food&UTM_Content=PRODUCT_GROUP&SourceCode=INTL4071&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgMqSBhDCARIsAIIVN1UUzqczEekpEoQ_LKilekGgeXg4Ge1JUalhZ7CjwWOdRDztyfnWCGkaAjkwEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have not found any other sauces that meet what I want. I find most have added sugars and junk. The one I linked is super clean and it tastes good. 

I dont have an airfryer, so looks like something ill have to check out using, I have a friend who owns one, so ill hit him up about that. Thank you for your input!

I ate a meal just like 30 minutes ago that's from the guy that @Michael569 recommended above. It was amazing and took less than an hour to make. It starts at 15:45 if you want to give it a try.

@Kamo If you are looking to only air fry, then I have been looking at this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0725YRBX2/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

This seems to have some of the least toxic material, but I am not sure what the trays are made of. It is also quite cheap, but to be fair it does not have a lot of functions, so the price seems about right. 

Most of the companies actually do not say what any of them are made out of lol. However, this one is not loaded with a bunch of non stick stuff. I have been thinking about that one for larger capacity. I want to be able to cook 3 blocks of tofu at once or close to it. so this might be something I will invest in. I have considered a few of the more expensive oven style ones though too.

I currently use a instant pot duo crip with different stainless steel rack for the air frying. It is quite good, but I can only cook about 1 block at a time. It takes about 20 minutes to fully cook and I have to adjust the tofu 5 times. 

On 4/11/2022 at 6:44 AM, Michael569 said:

Derek Simnet has tons on his YouTube channel

Perfect! Ill look there for some ideas, Thank You!

2 hours ago, Snader said:

I ate a meal just like 30 minutes ago that's from the guy that @Michael569 recommended above. It was amazing and took less than an hour to make. It starts at 15:45 if you want to give it a try.

Great! Yeah im gonna check that out, Thank You!

1 hour ago, Average Investor said:

@Kamo If you are looking to only air fry, then I have been looking at this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0725YRBX2/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

This seems to have some of the least toxic material, but I am not sure what the trays are made of. It is also quite cheap, but to be fair it does not have a lot of functions, so the price seems about right. 

Most of the companies actually do not say what any of them are made out of lol. However, this one is not loaded with a bunch of non stick stuff. I have been thinking about that one for larger capacity. I want to be able to cook 3 blocks of tofu at once or close to it. so this might be something I will invest in. I have considered a few of the more expensive oven style ones though too.

I currently use a instant pot duo crip with different stainless steel rack for the air frying. It is quite good, but I can only cook about 1 block at a time. It takes about 20 minutes to fully cook and I have to adjust the tofu 5 times. 

Yeah it seems like an air fryer will be useful for multiple dishes to meal prep. 3 blocks at a time sounds legit. I only every purchase one block at a time as it is, since im newly getting into it. 

@Kamo I am not sure how I managed for so long without meal prep lol. I easily save several hours or more a week. I am quite easy to satisfy though too. I basically eat the same thing every day with a bit of variations and changes here and there. 

The instant pot route might be good if you want some of the other functions with the air fryer. It makes amazing rice for me. 

Mapo Tofu or Shui Zhu tofu are two dishes that I absolutely loved when I was vegan and ate a lot of tofu. If you like Szechuan pepper and spicy food you would likely love it. The tofu really absorbs the flavor well in those oily and spicy dishes. The only problem is that it's not the easiest food to cook yourself, takes some ingredients that you need to look for in Chinese stores or online to make the broth. But if you want to treat yourself to some good food sometime you should look up a recipe for one of those dishes online and go ahead and make it. Alternatively you can order it from a good Chinese restaurant but that won't really help you much if you're looing for a recipe lol.

@modmyth I baked it, after springing peanut butter powder on lol. I like the idea of soups/ chilis/curries. Im going to try that. I thought I had to just bake it. Thank You!

Edited by Kamo

@Asayake  Oh yeah I love spicy! Im going to try Mapo Tofu or Shui Zhu tofu.Thanks for the suggestion.

Here is an easy one for you

Mix it with some mustard, tahini, black pepper, herbal spices and tiny hit of soy sauce and bake for 20 mins. Make sure those tofu slicces are covered all round. Pretty easy and tasty!

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Siracha, soy sauce, olive oil, smoked paprika, oven for 20 min, flip them halfway through. Add rice and veggies, yummmm haha

I always enjoyed making a vegetable stir fry with tofu added. I’d just put some soy sauce on for flavor. Some cooking oil, margarine, or butter would be added when I did it just to make things not stick to the pan. 

I’d usually do broccoli, mushrooms with other things added depending on what I had on hand and sounded good. It was very simple to make and impressed some people with how good it tasted. 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

I think the best thing you can do is to encourage your friend to discard the idea of tofu as a meat/protein substitute (tofu cheese, tofu weiners, etc.) and think of it on its own terms. Try to take advantage of the inherent creaminess and silkiness of good quality fresh tofu, along the lines of fresh mozzarella or ricotta. Hopefully there is a good producer of fresh tofu in your area.

In addition to standbys like ma po tofu, hiya yakko and of course miso soup, I will often crumble medium tofu into a salad with greens and tomatoes. Would go well with virtually any dressing.

Hiya yakko can also be made in any of a zillion ways by varying the toppings. Anything from traditional bonito flakes to minced fried garlic, crumbled bacon, fried minced pork, etc. (Obviously some of the latter would not do for a vegetarian.) And you can vary the "sauce" to your hearts desire, from plain old soy sauce to Chinese- or Korean-style sauces.