StarStruck

What is the meaning of meaning?

7 posts in this topic

According to the dictionary it is the relationship between two things, or the intention (of the relationship of the phenomena for the individual?). 

My mind gets stuck at this point. Is the meaning we give things secondary and consequential? If that is so how does that fit into cause and effect? If “meaning” is the effect, what is the cause?

In Tate we trust

Meaning is a story we project into reality and specific situations based on how it relates to us

For someone having a family is meaningful for someone else it isnt for example.. 

So "cause" of meaning would be to create value for us.. Other wise we would not do shit in life i guess

Edited by DecemberFlower

“Meaning” is much broader than that. Think about it in terms of there being a means to some end. So yeah.. “intention” or will is essential.

Meaning is the work. If something is meaningful that means it's working. Me typing this text for the sake of conveying a message is a means to an end. And it will prove meaningful if you get the message; prove somewhat meaningless if you don't get what I'm saying here.

However, since everything is energy, total meaninglessness can only exist at the relative level, from the individual's POV. The Creator within can see exactly how everything is a means to an end, that is.. how all is meaningful.

5 hours ago, StarStruck said:

Is the meaning we give things secondary and consequential? If that is so how does that fit into cause and effect? If “meaning” is the effect, what is the cause?

When we supposedly ‘give things meaning' what we're actually doing is attempting to discern purpose. In this, we can be right or wrong about the meaning of something. 

@A Fellow Lighter

“When we supposedly ‘give things meaning' what we're actually doing is attempting to discern purpose. In this, we can be right or wrong about the meaning of something. ”

so could we say intention is the cause, meaning is the effect? 

In Tate we trust

1 hour ago, StarStruck said:

Both the cause and the effect is meaning that you have discerned, in this case. 

2 hours ago, StarStruck said:

Exactly. Whenever you have an intention, meaning arises out of that intention. Everything that helps you to fulfill this intention becomes meaningful, or in other words, a means to an end, as @A Fellow Lighter has put it. 

Or in other words, if you don't have goals, life becomes meaningless.