Tyler Durden

The Truman Show metaphor

7 posts in this topic

I always enjoyed watching The Truman Show but since I discovered spirituality I began looking it through different eyes. 

Cristoff (Ed Harris) is the creator of a television show and represents God. Truman (Jim Carrey) is its human avatar unaware that his entire reality is completely imaginary, created and controled by Cristoff.

All people in his life, including his parents, wife and friends, are not real and just play their roles and act according with the script.

In the end he realises that everything is fake but what film doesn't show is the final realisation that Truman and Cristoff are the same being - God.

What do you thing about this explanation?

Edited by Tyler Durden

@Tyler Durden

I think that even when they gave you clear hint in a movie format and you still ask the question from me - the one who is scripted to your "reality" - is pretty weird, isn't it?

Edited by Kksd74628

Who told you that "others" are real?

@Kksd74628 Well, there is always a chance to get a deeper understanding of things even from other parts of myself. I guess that is how reality works. That makes it more interesting.

@Tyler Durden

I mean if you understand that you are right NOW talking to no one and this reply you read is only thing about "me" which exists NOW then I am okay with you talking to me about the dream you are having right NOW. Yeah, you can have deeper understanding from the dream characters, but your own opinion about things is the most important thing and, if you ask this question in order you to process your own opininion then that is reasonable.

Who told you that "others" are real?

@Kksd74628 I understand what you're saying but I guess this forum and its dream characters have a certain role in helping me awake.

Edited by Tyler Durden

23 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

In the end he realises that everything is fake but what film doesn't show is the final realisation that Truman and Cristoff are the same being - God.

What do you thing about this explanation?

That ending was already taken by Fight Club.

Isn't that ironic? @Tyler Durden

:) 

@JosephKnecht Yes, good observation. But in Fight Club it was just a person with multiple personality disorder. In The Truman Show it would imply that it was God who has it. I guess it would be too much for many people.