Striving for more

"Several years to get the benefits of meditation!" ...

38 posts in this topic

I do meditation for practical, reasons in order to improve myself. 

Leo on Overcoming Fear part 2 :

• "one way to overcome fear = to be in the present moment"" BUT ...
  • "It will take you several years just to have the ability to ground yourself in the present moment"
  • That's really uninspiring. I want my results in several months. 
  • If I was 16 this would be fine, but because I am at a prime biological age to be a human, I don't want any more of it to go to waste. 
  • I need fast results >> 3 - 6 months max. 

If I combine meditation with lots of other practices & work every day at it ... can I cut the process from "several years to months"?

I only care about the selfish results from meditation, I don't want to be jesus, just what probides higher emotional intelligence & success 

What will cut the process from several years to several months? 

(Fearless, present, calm, focused, attentive, fast learner, charimsatic, good listener, engaged & engaging, body awareness, observant, self control, mindful) 

Edited by Striving for more

Sometimes I wonder whether people on this forum even watch Leo's content. Haven't you ever heard him talk about the trap of trying to find shortcuts everywhere all the time? You're falling into that right now.

You can make faster progress if you practice more and use the most effective techniques. But I highly doubt you would be able to meditate effectively even for one minute with your attitude. If you meditate with the constant expectation of "quick results", you will be getting nowhere no matter how much you practice. That whole attitude is the exact opposite of what meditation is all about.

Meditate in stressful situations. Do pickup or public speaking and keep awareness of your body. Effective results in weeks. 

The problem, you probably don't want the hard, effective method 

19 minutes ago, Striving for more said:

If I was 16 this would be fine, but because I am at a prime biological age to be a human, I don't want any more of it to go to waste. 

As someone who is 16, this weirdly inspired me ?

23 minutes ago, Striving for more said:
  • I need fast results >> 3 - 6 months max. 

If I combine meditation with lots of other practices & work every day at it ... can I cut the process from "several years to months"?

I only care about the selfish results from meditation, I don't want to be jesus, just what probides higher emotional intelligence & success 

What will cut the process from several years to several months? 

(Fearless, present, calm, focused, attentive, fast learner, charimsatic, good listener, engaged & engaging, body awareness, observant, self control, mindful) 

For something close to what you probably want to hear, do a solo meditation retreat. 

But, I think you're going about this in the wrong way. This looks a lot like unhealthy Stage Orange; excessive fixation on results and progress. 

You're not going to be able to make much progress if most of your focus comes from the purported benefits of meditation. I say purported because you don't really know if you'll get those benefits and results to the degree you want it to. I'm not saying you won't have massive results from meditating for years, but in your current direct experience, it's just a theory in your head.

In theory, you can have those results from meditation, which is great, but do you see the problem with doing meditation only for the sake of those results? You'd probably get those results much faster if you stay fully present with your meditation and not treat it like a grind, but rather an enjoyable thing to do. 

Apply the principle of mastery to consciousness work. You will find that people that are masters of their craft, whether it be athletes, authors, artists, etc - are not fixated on the fruits and results of their practice, they are in love with the process of practice itself; they engage in deliberate practice for its own sake. They wouldn't be where they are if their motivation primarily came from extrinsic values like getting results, getting money, etc. 

So apply the same to your meditation practice, or any other form of consciousness work. If you can make it an enjoyable part of your lifestyle you'll progress much faster than if you were to do it solely to get the the top of the mountain. 

I think this forum has an obsession with being "anti - shortcut" because a lot of people just parrot Leo without thinking for themselves. 

Abusing concepts like spiral dynamics ect... 

Life is ALL ABOUT THE SHORTCUT. 

Because I have lost years of my life to doing things slowly. 

I am willing to work my ass off, but I want worthwhile results within the next few months, therefore I need the most effective method & I'm not willing to settle for waiting around for the results, I'll take them like a Pirate takes what he wants. 

Yes I'll meditate for years, but I want results next week & next month, because I want my year to be successful. 

Maybe meditation is just pointless because other things I do litterally give me inmediate results, like working hard today makes me feel good inmediatley. 

I see people here on the forum pre judging me but they don't truly understand my perspective, in your brain the alarm bell rings "SHORTCUT SHORTCUT"

In truth I agree with slow growth too, but I think inmediate results are very important for morale, + I just want to do stuff in the FASTEST POSSIBLE WAY, WHY IS THIS A PROBLEM? WOULD U RATHER DO SOMETHING EFFECTIVELY AS POSSIBLE OR JUST BE MEDIOCRE LOL. 

This is why leo has videos on learning, so u can learn more effectively, this is a SHORTCUT. 

Maybe the solution is to meditate 16 hours a day

Which basically means meditating whenever I'm doing what I'm doing, therefore I am meditating 16X more than everyone else. 

I could combine meditation with every other trick out there too. 

@Vision Loool! you're fucking 16, man you literally won the lottery. You can do the slow patient grind and then savour it all starting from your early 20's, while you are at the prime age, that combination is very fortunate. 

Even if you just did self help like 10% of the time but had a lot of fun ... You'd still be way ahead of the race by like 21 years old 

1 hour ago, KingCrimson said:

Sometimes I wonder whether people on this forum even watch Leo's content. Haven't you ever heard him talk about the trap of trying to find shortcuts everywhere all the time? You're falling into that right now.

You can make faster progress if you practice more and use the most effective techniques. But I highly doubt you would be able to meditate effectively even for one minute with your attitude.

Here we go, instantly making false assumptions. 

Yes I have seen all of leo's worthwhile videos. 

Most of my life though my oppositie problem has been me working too hard for too little results due to inefficiency. 

I actually need more "shortcuts". 

Many People on this forum are like parroting robots.  

Fuck meditation, the do-gooders and the proponents of slowness. Monks have been meditating for 40 years in monasteries and what have they achieved but dullness and stupid beliefs? You don't need meditation for most of this but concentration, discipline and inspiration. You need to be able to apply OCD-like levels of concentration when it matters, and have a good baseline of presence in general. You also don't need months of work to get results but several weeks at best depending on your cognition (you will probably not become a master at concentration but it doesn't matter). 

Here is an exercise that will do as a first step: visualize in detail a cloud every day for 15mn and imagine you are that cloud for 5mn (in 360°) and feel how it must feel like to be that cloud. It must be the same cloud every day more or less. Do this for a week upon waking up and try to carry that level of attention and concentration for the rest of the morning (don't beat yourself up). If you try this, update me about the results you get.

@SriSriJustinBieber Thank you bro, Visualization also brings benefits after several weeks, I'm gonna do visualization properly every day until I perish, I truly believe in its power ... I suppose some things work better for different people. 

So you don't think meditation is worth it? 
I've been doing it for months am I wasting my time? 

I think I am just too damaged for meditation to work, & it could be toxins that cause psy issues too. 

However principles like hard work, creativity, self belief, & practices like visualization ect.. 

I see these as Both short & long term gains. They are both. 

No you are not wasting your time with meditation but it's not a priority as you desire to be in achievement/performance mode. So you must include practices that sustain and empower the fire to achieve, and become good at them as you go (and abandon them if they become useless). I would say keep meditation but do it at night just before falling asleep.

Your anger is not supposed to decrease but to be leveraged in a positive way. Anger seems destructive only if it's blind, but if you look at it in essence it's simply the drive to change things, so you must learn to discriminate between the essence which is useful, and the destructiveness which comes from blindness. What is blindness but the inability to concentrate when high amounts of energy are released? Hence the relevance of concentration.

You are definitely not too damaged for this work, if your life right now depended on doing some urgent thing like going to the hospital because you are injured, would you start second-guessing yourself? "Oh, I can't do this, because I don't know who I am and I was hurt by my family when I was 7 and now I take antidepressants or stimulants (or whatever) and can't do shit without them" No, it wouldn't even cross your mind that you don't have a car or that you feel too much pain to walk, let alone that you are depressed or have social anxiety or something like that. Suddenly, all your will and all your energy would be concentrated upon doing that one thing. Suddenly all the cynicism and the anxiety and the scatteredness are gone as if they never existed. If you can do it in situations like that, it means you can learn to do it at will. The past in our minds always makes us think that we are not fit because of this or that circumstance, right? But you must learn to ignore that shit and concentrate on what matters. As you concentrate on what matters, those issues start spontaneously healing. It really is a matter of will and what you choose to focus on.

Edited by SriSriJustinBieber

Well, don't wanna burst your bubbles, but meditation is not something you can truly benefit from in a few months.

You have to bite the bullet and put in the work every single days for years without expectations. I mean, obviously you'll have some expectations, that's fine, but if you only meditate in order to obtain certain skills in a certain period of time, you're gonna have a bad time.

meditation is cranking up the awareness, can not be anything other than a lifelong activity

you might be able to ditch sitting on the mat

but i don't know about that

i just sit today ... should i be graced with a tomorrow i show my gladness and joy in sitting once more

@SriSriJustinBieber Horrible advice from someone who’s clearly not spent time with real monks or time in a high quality monastery or intensive retreat environment. 

@Striving for more If you want fast results with meditation, schedule monthly meditation retreats for the next 6 months with high quality teachers. By the end of those 6 months your experience would be radically transformed and your understanding of meditation and the path forever changed. This approach is extremely risky and will potentially be psychologically damaging you if you aren’t actually serious about enlightenment or meditation. 

A healthier more sustainable mindset would be to schedule 1 - 2 meditation retreats per year, ramp up daily meditation practice 1-2 hours per day, and ideally find a sangha of serious practitioners and an experienced teacher who’s actually walked the path and done the work, unlike random internet spirituality bros. 

@Striving for more , you should def listen to @Consilience on this topic, he has great advices and has traveled the path so he is experienced so to speak.

But also beware that every journey is highly individual and unique, but every journey do also have alot in common.

?

Let thy speech be better then silence, or be silent.

- Pseudo-dionysius 

I've been meditating for 5years now and I lost way more than I ever gained from it what am I doing wrong?! ?

Sailing on the ceiling 

13 minutes ago, Rigel said:

I've been meditating for 5years now and I lost way more than I ever gained from it what am I doing wrong?! ?

WHAT?? 

I'm not taking that risk any more then. There's clearly way more important habits then meditation, that I see inmediate benefit; journalling, building skills, setting goals. 

@Adamq8 That’s kind of you to say. Thank you friend. ❤️

2 minutes ago, Striving for more said:

WHAT?? 

I'm not taking that risk any more then. There's clearly way more important habits then meditation, that I see inmediate benefit; journalling, building skills, setting goals. 

?‍♂️

1 minute ago, Striving for more said:

WHAT?? 

if you don't see meditation as the most important priority of life, it means you are not ready for meditation ... then best spend time on other activities

17 minutes ago, Rigel said:

How many minutes do you practice per day?

How often have you stopped and restarted your daily habit/ how consistent have you been?

What’s your experience with psychedelics?

How often are you going on meditation retreats?

What’s your reading and studying of the dharma habit like?

Do you work with a realized teacher?

Do you surround yourself with other serious practitioners/do you have close friends who are serious about this work?  

What techniques or technique system are you working with? 

All of these and more can be used to leverage results with practice. 

56 minutes ago, Rigel said:

what did you lost, if i may ask?

3 minutes ago, Haribo said:

what did you lost, if i may ask?

here is what the Buddha lost

dh.jpg