thisintegrated

What has been your experience with mods/admins in general?

40 posts in this topic

ime, positions of power on the internet tend to attract the absolute worst kinds of people.  Sure mods/admins can be good/normal, but often it's as if they expect you to treat them differently just because of their status.  On this forum, most the old mods (who are now banned) were just awful and overbearing.  Most discords I've been on have had even worse mods, as the power structure is even more evident on discord's name-list hierarchy.  And I just got banned on two discords just because I proved the admin wrong.  What's even weirder is the members of the group seemed to enjoy simping for the admin, and stroking their ego.  This is a common human behavior that always confuses me.

What's been your experience?  Do you simp for people in positions of power?  Are the ubiquitous social hierarchical structures we find on the internet logical and fair?

To be fair it's impossible to moderate a forum. 

Forums like these should have a one on one communication methods. And small groups. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

i got attacked by an admin becuase i hurt his ego. i put some  controvorsial advice to help some guy on a discord server and one of the admin didnt like it . he atttacked me and all the guys joined to his side , started simping and attacked me.i noticed that in another discord server all the guys kiss the ass of the higher up ranked guy and if that higher up guy attack u then all of them team up and kiss his ass and start to attack u

Good so far. Read and follow the Guidelines and you should be fine.  ?

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ . ♪ 星空のディスタンス ♫┆彡 what are you dreaming today?

天国が来る | 私は道であり、真実であり、命であり。

I’ve never had any problem with mods on the internet. But I behave myself pretty damn well. 

"You Create Magic" 

Granted this is the only forum I'm really on but I will say that I feel like I'm pretty cool with the mods here and that they usually have well balanced interactions. I know one of my friends irl who has been on a variety of internet forums and is a mod in many of them and this person has shared me stories about what somethings they have to put up with behind the scenes which I found intriguing. This is also a person who I considered well balanced and takes well thought out action so as a result, I suppose from my positive experiences with mods on and offline that I do have a good image of them. I think depending on who is chosing the mods and what forums you're on, the quality of mods can vary but generally speaking, there is a reason why some people are mods and why some aren't and it's perfectly understandable to have some form of regulation on a forum. 

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

2 minutes ago, soos_mite_ah said:

it's perfectly understandable to have some form of regulation on a forum. 

Reminds me...I think even 4chan is moderated.

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

I don’t mind strict moderating but there are a lot of double standards on this forum. I have warning points on my account for things that the mods engage in themselves. It’s like mods giving out warning points and bans is dependent on their mood of the day.

Discord I learned the hard way to stay away from that cesspool. Only worth it if you have a dedicated group of friends to engage with.

Edited by vizual

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

Yeah it is usually not a good experience as I usually mind my own business but suddenly I get a warning point or two. It becomes a battle of the egos. Hey I didn't deserve this. "Hey, you do" Then, you realise everything is the result of your own thoughts and interpretation and it becomes the battle of your own ego with yourself.

Anyway, it doesn't matter because you would still physically die within 120 years from now.

14 minutes ago, hyruga said:

you would still physically die within 120 years from now.

You don't know me!

Edited by mojsterr

@thisintegrated my experience has mostly been good so far with only minor difficulties. It isn’t their day job and that’s what people need to remember. We may think “mod” and just assume they’ve come out of 3+ years of bootcamp like it was for me and nursing school though it’s simply not the case. They live regular lives like all of us lol, if there’s an issue with anyone first show some empathy and only go further if you need to from there after you’ve really reflected on a situation. When I’m at work I’m in “professional mode” and when I’m done I’m in no desire to tick any work boxes and do those duties to the same effort, so to ask them to do that to the same level as their job is a bit much to ask. Trust in their natural drive to do the right thing and follow your nose to the end ^_^.

Edited by Esilda

@thisintegrated

15 hours ago, thisintegrated said:

ime, positions of power on the internet tend to attract the absolute worst kinds of people.  Sure mods/admins can be good/normal, but often it's as if they expect you to treat them differently just because of their status.  On this forum, most the old mods (who are now banned) were just awful and overbearing.  Most discords I've been on have had even worse mods, as the power structure is even more evident on discord's name-list hierarchy.  And I just got banned on two discords just because I proved the admin wrong.  What's even weirder is the members of the group seemed to enjoy simping for the admin, and stroking their ego.  This is a common human behavior that always confuses me.

What's been your experience?  Do you simp for people in positions of power?  Are the ubiquitous social hierarchical structures we find on the internet logical and fair?

Actualized.org has if not one of the best teams of mods and moderation policies I've ever come across compared to typical social media forums.

Yes, I'm biased as this forum is my first, and more time and energy spent here than in other forums, but seriously good moderating had here.

Only few problems with mods in the past were misunderstandings and my sense of humour, that's mostly it. If you behave yourself and conduct yourself the right way, very few mod related problems if ever would happen.

Edited by Danioover9000

Do you simp for people in positions of power?

Yes, mostly cause they control my survival. I like surviving.

Although, I do have standards. I'm not gonna simp for a discord admin lol.

Are the ubiquitous social hierarchical structures we find on the internet logical and fair?

It seems to be a natural consequence of creating internet groups, they're like miniature societies. Hierarchy and moderation needs to be created to sustain it. Whether it's fair or not depends on the group and how it is moderated, I'd say.

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, 'This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful.' The moment you see it, the head stops running thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts running. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

Friendly reminder that someone got banned because they questioned about Leo during one of his strict retreats lol

Edited by lostingenosmaze

“We have two ears and one mouth so we can listen twice as much as we speak." -Epictetus

16 hours ago, thisintegrated said:

ime, positions of power on the internet tend to attract the absolute worst kinds of people.

Do you think this varies based on if the mods in question had actively applied for their position or if they were merely approached and given the offer?

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

4 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Do you think this varies based on if the mods in question had actively applied for their position or if they were merely approached and given the offer?

I feel your struggles. Something of voluntary nature and then being misunderstood on a constant basis. It's more than what most can handle. 

16 hours ago, Esilda said:

@thisintegrated my experience has mostly been good so far with only minor difficulties. It isn’t their day job and that’s what people need to remember. We may think “mod” and just assume they’ve come out of 3+ years of bootcamp like it was for me and nursing school though it’s simply not the case. They live regular lives like all of us lol, if there’s an issue with anyone first show some empathy and only go further if you need to from there after you’ve really reflected on a situation. When I’m at work I’m in “professional mode” and when I’m done I’m in no desire to tick any work boxes and do those duties to the same effort, so to ask them to do that to the same level as their job is a bit much to ask. Trust in their natural drive to do the right thing and follow your nose to the end ^_^.

Except they get to be in a position of power, which is what they want.  It's not like they're doing volunteer work and we should appreciate them for it.  They like feeling like kings, and should be held to a high standard for being allowed to have the privilege.  

23 hours ago, itachi uchiha said:

i got attacked by an admin becuase i hurt his ego. i put some  controvorsial advice to help some guy on a discord server and one of the admin didnt like it . he atttacked me and all the guys joined to his side , started simping and attacked me.i noticed that in another discord server all the guys kiss the ass of the higher up ranked guy and if that higher up guy attack u then all of them team up and kiss his ass and start to attack u

haha, yes, word-for-word my experience.

21 hours ago, vizual said:

I don’t mind strict moderating but there are a lot of double standards on this forum. I have warning points on my account for things that the mods engage in themselves. It’s like mods giving out warning points and bans is dependent on their mood of the day.

That's the biggest problem with moderators in general.  Good moderators are the nerds of the world.  The engineers, mathematicians, etc., "logical" people.  But how commonly are moderators of such personality types?  It's those with the best "people skills" that are most likely to get moderator positions, and not the systematic thinkers / nerds who can always act rationally and prioritize logic over personal feelings.

21 hours ago, vizual said:

Discord I learned the hard way to stay away from that cesspool. Only worth it if you have a dedicated group of friends to engage with.

Yes, I think I've finally learned that lesson.  Sad that there is no real alternative to discord, but I think being alone is the better option.

8 hours ago, Benton said:

They have all been friendly and reasonable mostly. We all have bad days 

If a bad day is enough for a moderator to make a mistake, they are unfit to be a moderator.

8 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@thisintegrated

Actualized.org has if not one of the best teams of mods and moderation policies I've ever come across compared to typical social media forums.

Yes, I'm biased as this forum is my first, and more time and energy spent here than in other forums, but seriously good moderating had here.

Only few problems with mods in the past were misunderstandings and my sense of humour, that's mostly it. If you behave yourself and conduct yourself the right way, very few mod related problems if ever would happen.

I agree the moderating here is above average.  Though, the mods not understanding humor is a real issue, it's like they're all boomers of something.  And if they misunderstand your humor, they can insta-ban you.

8 hours ago, Osaid said:

Yes, mostly cause they control my survival. I like surviving.

ngl, this way of thinking makes me sick.  I would never be someone's bitch just to gain their favor.  But I guess not all men are meant to be leaders.

7 hours ago, lostingenosmaze said:

Friendly reminder that someone got banned because they questioned about Leo during one of his strict retreats lol

LOL.  I hope Leo's grown a bit since then ..or else I'd say he needs another retreat?

7 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

Oh sure.  Though power does tend to corrupt / expose one's true nature.

22 hours ago, Flowerfaeiry said:

I’ve never had any problem with mods on the internet. But I behave myself pretty damn well. 

tbh I've never seen you write anything controversial.  But the way you write this makes it sound like the mods have beaten you into submission and you've learned to keep your mouth shut??

Edited by thisintegrated

33 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

Except they get to be in a position of power, which is what they want.  It's not like they're doing volunteer work and we should appreciate them for it.  They like feeling like kings, and should be held to a high standard for being allowed to have the privilege.  

haha, yes, word-for-word my experience.

That's the biggest problem with moderators in general.  Good moderators are the nerds of the world.  The engineers, mathematicians, etc., "logical" people.  But how commonly are moderators of such personality types?  It's those with the best "people skills" that are most likely to get moderator positions, and not the systematic thinkers / nerds who can always act rationally and prioritize logic over personal feelings.

Yes, I think I've finally learned that lesson.  Sad that there is no real alternative to discord, but I think being alone is the better option.

If a bad day is enough for a moderator to make a mistake, they are unfit to be a moderator.

I agree the moderating here is above average.  Though, the mods not understanding humor is a real issue, it's like they're all boomers of something.  And if they misunderstand your humor, they can insta-ban you.

ngl, this way of thinking makes me sick.  I would never be someone's bitch just to gain their favor.  But I guess not all men are meant to be leaders.

LOL.  I hope Leo's grown a bit since then ..or else I'd say he needs another retreat?

Oh sure.  Though power does tend to corrupt / expose one's true nature.

tbh I've never seen you write anything controversial.  But the way you write this makes it sound like the mods have beaten you into submission and you've learned to keep your mouth shut??

In reply to your comment here I feel like you’re reading too much into mod behaviour. It’s important to let your feelings out and process things in a healthy way though ^_^. It’s all case by case though I suppose. Hope you’re doing okay :D.

Edited by Esilda

3 hours ago, thisintegrated said:

I would never be someone's bitch just to gain their favor.

Doubt that, although I wouldn't describe it so provocatively. It's more like serving someone purely because of the position they hold. Like a boss to an employer. This is what I consider within my definition of "simping", which is a somewhat vague term, admittedly. I get that you're probably annoyed or angry cause of your experiences, though. 

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, 'This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful.' The moment you see it, the head stops running thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts running. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho