Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Space

r/Place - Unifying White Light Prevails

2 posts in this topic

In the final hours of r/Place, a unifying white 'anti-void' fills the chaotic, divisive and separated canvas.
https://www.reddit.com/r/place/comments/twljrm/antivoid_the_end_of_rplace/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

If you don't know what this is, its a special sub reddit which has allowed reddit users to place a coloured block on a large digital canvas every 5 minutes. I think it's been editable for a week or a few days i'm not sure how long. It finished earlier today.

I wanted to share this because to me, its a perfect digital mirror of society at large. Throughout the event, huge communities of people from all over the world came together to make artwork (flags, icons, characters , logos, etc) and take control of a particular area on the canvas. They would then be attacked by other communities wanting their spot on the canvas. Sometimes they would be able to defend themselves, other times they were wiped out completely. The whole canvas morphed and shape-shifted in a way that seems so similar to our history as a species. Country flags emerging and then being wiped out by neighbouring communities. 

Then occasionally you'll see a 'black void', an almost cancerous black shape emerge in one part of the canvas, like a toxic infection taking over and destroying everything in its part. But then, this too, would be 'healed' and taken over by new artwork.

The canvas became incredibly tribalistic. I listened to popular french and spanish streamers, who had literally hundreds of thousands of people following them and editing the canvas, having genuine arguments about their territory, defending their spot on the canvas and making threats of counter attack if their artwork were to be taken over.

At the end, as you can see in the video above, users can only place white blocks, which unifies and dissolves all boundaries, nations and tribes. Such a beautiful ending.

Timelapse of days 1-3:

https://www.reddit.com/r/place/comments/twfljx/rplace_timelapse_from_13_day_with_chill_music_in/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski