Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
itachi uchiha

hollywood programs you to hate arabs

6 posts in this topic

https://ia800302.us.archive.org/34/items/TheArrivals_201405/TheArrivalsPt.15hollywoodAndThePromisedLand.mp4

Hollywood since 1950s portray arabs as some backward ,foolish , barbaric,psychopathic people.as a result when arabs are slaughtered ,raped ,tortured and killed we do not feel anything towards them.this video was released in 2009.it predicted that usa will attack iran and syria

Edited by itachi uchiha

Ahhhh! The Arrivals! It was my only contact with conspiracy theories, and since I was an Arab Muslim, I totally bought it. I was 15-16 years old at the time. Looking back, I just feel dumb for taking them seriously.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

Not true for me. As a teenager and into my 20's I was very interested in creative writing ,all through my adulthood  I focused or drew inspiration from the region. 

Growing up I remember things like salahuddin portrayed in the Kingdom of Heaven Film as wise, strong, merciful and tempered. That particular film portrayed the christians in the complete opposite light (almost).

Or Morgan freeman in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, by far the best character in that film.

Another one I remember, though the character had to go through adjustment to his surroundings and inside himself, he ended up the star of the show.

Here is a list of some good examples:

https://mvslim.com/10-blockbusters-feature-positive-muslim-characters/

I think in more recent years what you say is more true but certainly not pre Iraq. I grew up with these sorts of Arab stereotypes. Not always accurate of course because this is fantasy, but as a kid this sort of heroic fantasy image of a wise or brave warrior was given to us.

Edited by BlueOak

I think also 'the other' you speak of is not a bad thing in western culture. Other in collective societies is demonized by being separate. In western individualist societies everyone is 'the other', being the other or your own person, your own man, culture, city etc, is seen as a bonus to individualists.

Edited by BlueOak

On 4/5/2022 at 5:55 PM, BlueOak said:

I think also 'the other' you speak of is not a bad thing in western culture. Other in collective societies is demonized by being separate. In western individualist societies everyone is 'the other', being the other or your own person, your own man, culture, city etc, is seen as a bonus to individualists.

But being othered can be damaging, and lead to some awful, and outright dangerous stereotypes....it leads to xenophobia.