Avi

Sex Vs. Sexual Intimacy - Maslow's Hierarchy Of Needs

14 posts in this topic

In Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs we see on the bottom level of "Physiological" - sex and on the level of "Love/Belonging" - sexual intimacy. 

The answer might be obvious but what's the difference between sex and sexual intimacy? 

EDIT: I thought out putting it in the Dating, Relationships, and Sexuality page but I felt like this was more appropriate here since it deals with Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. It's all about being actualized. Let me know, I can move it. 

Edited by Avi

I can't believe myself sometimes. 

@AviSex is physical for propagation of the species.   Sexual intimacy is an interpersonal need related to a sense of belonging.  If the intimacy need goes unmet, it can lead to depression, anxiety, loneliness, etc.  

As to the latter I am uncertain so I assume that if someone wants it moved the tech "Gods" will move it or let us know. ;)

2 hours ago, Avi said:

In Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs we see on the bottom level of "Physiological" - sex and on the level of "Love/Belonging" - sexual intimacy. 

The answer might be obvious but what's the difference between sex and sexual intimacy? 

EDIT: I thought out putting it in the Dating, Relationships, and Sexuality page but I felt like this was more appropriate here since it deals with Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. It's all about being actualized. Let me know, I can move it. 

It's the difference between jerking off, versus having an actual human connection.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

For females, as animals, homosephian, is brain, hormonal, driven need to not only procreate but also keep the male around for the benefit of the offspring. Though some say, I don't want to have a child, the many other natural driven forces, leads one to want to attach to somebody and be recognized as important. To be loved and be needed. For we held an important part on the development of humanity. It doesn't matter if we are different, way, promiscuous... Deep inside we hold a gem. One we can not refuse. You can try, you can be a cat lady, spinter, a sister wife, open... Yet only one can know where we fit in. What works and doesn't in the development and implementation of our genetics.

Oh, @Leo Gura yes... I would say that there is a difference between masturbation and being intimate with someone else. Although one releases urges and physical needs, the other feeds primal needs.... The kind that builds committed relationship. Both coexist in balance. 

My observation is that sometimes people can engage in sexual activity with one another and not necessarily be "intimate" with one another.   I prefer intimacy to "mutual masturbation" my reference to sex without intimacy.   I was being somewhat funny and realize in hindsight my joke lacked clarity or context for those who don't know me.  

I call it mutual masturbation as, say the one night stand can be sex without intimacy.  If someone wants to have sex without intimacy I have no judgment at all about that.  I just think folks should be honest about it.  LOL  I kind of came up with it related to those guys that tell you they love you to get some and then never call again.   I would have respected them more if they had just said, "I want to masturbate with you and never see you again."  That would be honest.  Anyhow, I see my lack of clarity in my comment. LOL

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It's the difference between jerking off, versus having an actual human connection.

Yeah I think that pretty much says it all

Sex is just to feel good, nothing more. Sexual intimacy is Love and passion between two people. I find sexual intimacy to be out of this world amazing, then just to have empty sex.

11 hours ago, MIA.RIVEL said:

Sex is just to feel good, nothing more. Sexual intimacy is Love and passion between two people. I find sexual intimacy to be out of this world amazing, then just to have empty sex.

"When you made LOVE to a woman for the first time you never want to go back to regular sex." - Coach Corey Wayne. He said regular sex is just glorified masturbation, but with intimacy and love and passion it is a whole other thing.

From what I experienced myself I can agree with this.

14 hours ago, Kelley White said:

My observation is that sometimes people can engage in sexual activity with one another and not necessarily be "intimate" with one another.   I prefer intimacy to "mutual masturbation" my reference to sex without intimacy.   I was being somewhat funny and realize in hindsight my joke lacked clarity or context for those who don't know me.  

I call it mutual masturbation as, say the one night stand can be sex without intimacy.  If someone wants to have sex without intimacy I have no judgment at all about that.  I just think folks should be honest about it.  LOL  I kind of came up with it related to those guys that tell you they love you to get some and then never call again.   I would have respected them more if they had just said, "I want to masturbate with you and never see you again."  That would be honest.  Anyhow, I see my lack of clarity in my comment. LOL

It was clear to me. So true. It either has to be just sex or intimate. In-between is destructive I've found in many ways. A healthy interdependentcy takes wisdom and dedication!

The harm comes when one or both parties even begin to falter by sharing emotional intimacy outside of their bond. So few people accept this or acknowledge it that this is usually what destroys things. Some of us sense it even as it happens. And without communication there's just nothing that can be done except to go away. It is so painful when you find it and loose it. Even if it was only a taste. I think people can spend years even getting there once it is realized. It seems some people just wander off into other realities. Guess we all reserve the right to change our minds.

19 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@Leo Gura  

hahahahahaha

I found this to be so funny 

@The Alchemist Coach Corey is good, hes very straight to the point. Even though he focuses on males with his coaching, i learn alot from him from a male point of view on relationships. And i agree with everything you said ?