Terell Kirby

Balancing physical fitness with sedentary spiritual practices.

15 posts in this topic

I have not been able to successfully strike a balance .. yet.

I meditate A LOT, I contemplate A LOT .. both require me to isolate myself and spend much of my time in an inactive, sedentary state. This has done wonders for my consciousness and understanding of reality in the last two years, however the lack of physical activity has left me with a not so great fitness level (5’10 height, ~ 170 lbs). My BMI is considered healthy and I eat decent, but I have lost a lot of muscle mass by not regularly exercising.

I want to continue my spiritual practice but at the same time get back into the pragmatics of fitness (awakening has drilled in me the shallowness of gym rat culture, which I don’t want to backfire). Any tips to balance would be helpful. Thanks.

Edited by Terell Kirby

Good question! I have wondered the same. 
Best I have for you is, try weaving in meditation, contemplation with your exercises.

For example: I go run in the woods, a lot during summer times. I do breath work during running, also fall in a very meditative state when im in the moment and observing the scenery, the trees, the beautiful terrain, the warmth and the fresh air, “my legs” running, without any effort or control, and so on.
On the way home from the woods, I get blasted with insights and answers to my deepest questions.

During the most cold months, I take longer “contemplation” / meditative walks and focus on eating cleaner.

Balance is really hard, but its the most important thing to master in every field of life.

“Life is just a break from an Infinite Orgasm. Prolong your break for as long as you want. Ride that wave. But don’t forget where you're headed.”

8 minutes ago, Vincent S said:

For example: I go run in the woods, a lot during summer times. I do breath work during running, also fall in a very meditative state when im in the moment and observing the scenery, the trees, the beautiful terrain, the warmth and the fresh air, “my legs” running, without any effort or control, and so on.

Love this example. I am wondering if these stable meditative states could actually lead to physical fitness and resistance training being more enjoyable. Guess I’ll have to put it into practice to find out. Thanks for the feedback.

1 minute ago, Terell Kirby said:

Love this example. I am wondering if these stable meditative states could actually lead to physical fitness and resistance training being more enjoyable. Guess I’ll have to put it into practice to find out. Thanks for the feedback.

You’re welcome! Definitely, I was amazed at how good “I” got at running.   
Everything you do, will be blessed if you do it with a still mind. ??‍♂️ ⚖️

“Life is just a break from an Infinite Orgasm. Prolong your break for as long as you want. Ride that wave. But don’t forget where you're headed.”

I've been getting into jumping (trampoline) recently, I feel good after and it can be meditative too

Been there too.

You have awakened to the shallowness of gym rat life, good. But next you need to overcome that concept.

Gym rat shit is probably something you're just used to, but that doesn't mean it has to be that. Gym can be about whatever you want it be. There are people there who have diverse and different motives but you can't see that cause you are used to look through only one lens.

Crucial is to be clear about your motives. Why are you doing it specifically? If it's health, then you come up with a strong conclusion that you want to go to the gym because you want to remain healthy, and that should motivate you if you want it enough. By contemplating that, you might also find out a sneaky lurking motive, that has something to do with the old life and your old motives that you want to get rid of.

10k steps = 100 minutes of walking ... is what works for me ... i split into three sessions, morning afternoon evening ... i really enjoy these

in addition i do 100 x sits ups push ups toe touches every time i take a bathroom beverage break which is about 6 x a day

10 minutes ago, gettoefl said:

in addition i do 100 x sits ups push ups toe touches every time i take a bathroom beverage break which is about 6 x a day

Push-ups + squats would be way more effective, or if you want them combined/cardio, burpees. Keep in mind that you need a pull movement as well, otherwise your body will be out of balance (push-ups being a push movement)

@bliss54 @Snader @gettoefl @Kshantivadin thanks for the responses guys.

4 hours ago, Snader said:

Crucial is to be clear about your motives. Why are you doing it specifically? If it's health, then you come up with a strong conclusion that you want to go to the gym because you want to remain healthy, and that should motivate you if you want it enough.

True!

Running meditation!

It's like walking meditation but instead of walking you're, well, running.

I love swimming.. especially when I'm on my back and the noise is canceled out. There's just something about being in the water makes it really meditative too maybe that would suit you.

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ . ♪ 星空のディスタンス ♫┆彡 what are you dreaming today?

天国が来る | 私は道であり、真実であり、命であり。

Try meditative walks, or breathwork as well while going out. If you live in a place with nature you can try going in the forest and run, it's very fun+ you practice coordination and balance.

There are many different ways to move your body than just going to the gym, try focusing on the body/mind connection instead, and find a type of movement that you enjoy that allows you to do this. Can be strength training, dancing, swimming, running. If you are very mentally active you probably need to get into your body more and find this connection, very important for aa healthy balance.

Many people here have already mentioned exercise as a form of meditation or contemplation, running, walking, swimming and so on..

Also have mentioned becoming very clear on WHY you want to go to the gym/exercise, all are very good points.

When I go to the gym, I put in earplugs and focus on how amazing it feels to push my body, doing heavy squats or bench press, or even cardio afterwards, or I just experience the pain and suffering :P  I see it as primarily a mental exercise, and the physical benefits are like the leaves of a health tree in spring.

I turn it into a conversation with myself, as I walk up to the squat rack, "okay Paul, are you ready? You are strong, listen to your body, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, liftoff, Push, Keep going, watch your knees, press into the bar, 2 more, keep going... GREAT JOB!" 

Its such special time, more and more its becoming so zoned in I feel nearly alone in a crowded gym, as I focus on the inner world of weightlifting.

Music is Love in disguise.

Imagine a future where Self Integration, Exploration and Creation is  normalized and encouraged.

https://wakingcall.com/

@Terell Kirby  Working out is ancient spiritual practice (read the philosophers) 

so in essence how about you contemplate while working out -  youre in excuse mode my dear

BUT

since I dont wanna repeat what´s already been given to you:

Exercise  and then do a 20min cooldown where you sit cross legged eyes closed, exhausted and find contemplative time

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

On 4/12/2022 at 6:31 AM, UDT said:

@Terell Kirby  Working out is ancient spiritual practice (read the philosophers) 

so in essence how about you contemplate while working out -  youre in excuse mode my dear

BUT

since I dont wanna repeat what´s already been given to you:

Exercise  and then do a 20min cooldown where you sit cross legged eyes closed, exhausted and find contemplative time

Thank you ??