WenU

Moving to Germany, good idea or not?

12 posts in this topic

Hi everybody. I was wondering if I could have your opinion about something I want to do.

I’m planning to move to Germany for 1 year (at least) to move forward with my Life Purpose, improve my dating life and learning the language thoroughly (I studied it at the university but I’m not fluent at it yet). Currently I’m living in the south of Chile.

My question is this: do you think the war will reach Germany?

I’m travelling with the Working Holiday Visa, and I could potentially change destinations to Australia or Canada… in both places I could do what I want to do (except for learning german of course). This is a visa that, for most countries, you can only get until you are 30 years old. I’m 27 now, so I’m kind of close to the limit, that’s why I want to use for the next few years… but obviously I wouldn’t want to get involved in a war…

Let me know what you think and why!

Hey there! The war seems to be in Ukraine so far. There is no chance that Germany will get surprise attacked. Russia got to go through Poland and that will take a long time. So no worries. (I don't even think Putin wants other countries to be involved and go to the offense with them) IF anything serious would happen, you'd have enough time to play moving somewhere else or no time at all because we are all bombed. But I don't think all getting bombed is happening anytime soon.

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.

I’m 27 living in Austria. You should follow your heart. Don’t let fear or perceived darkness limit your journey. We will all die someday, you shouldn’t be afraid of something that isn’t happening. Live the life you want to live and own it. 

Is all that we see or seem

But a dream within a dream?

- Edgar Allen Poe 

Hey you 

i lived in germany for quit a while. 

To improve your dating there couldn't be a worse place. society has a "stick up its ass" as friends explained to me. (yes there is actually a saying for it)

most of them are very serious and hardly take a joke.

"its more about appearance than reality." (Also a saying I learned from friends) and I can confirm this.

Of course there are a lot of really cool people there.

War shouldn't be a problem in Germany but the economy. And it is very expensive to live there..

if you really do have these other countries to choose from, I really recommend that you reconsider..

After all I have never regretted coming here.  (Well, ...maybe just a few times ?)

Hope this can help!

I don’t know how it is compared to Chile, but Germany actually isn’t that expensive compared to other western european countries (especially food). Eg dutch peope regularly cross the border to buy groceries (although especially alcohol). The place matters a lot of course (If you stay in Munich it will get very expensive).  
I couldn’t imagine the war stretching as far as Germany.

When it comes to dating I would say the opposite of @NYMPHAI, its a good opportunity to get skills maybe especially because people come off a little cold. If you can do it there, you’re good. Also if you’re in a nice place there will be plenty of young, open and friendly people. 

9 hours ago, WenU said:

improve my dating life

Will be easier in Canada or Australia than Europe, if you want to find a girlfriend that is

Much more relaxed than Europe.

Europe is the most developed continent on earth, but don't let that fool you. My own experience is that English speaking countries are a lot more relaxed and social than everyone else, especially compared to Germany. I lived near Frankfurt for a couple of months, Germans don't go out for the sake of socializing as much as Australians, Americans, Canadians and the Brits...

This is just my experience and my perception, so I might be wrong. Even when somebody says "I'm 100% sure" they can still be 100% wrong because
1. perception
2. unconscious generalizations 
3. our first experience

Its no shocker tho, the more workaholic a country is the less social it is. I'm 100% sure :) 

As a biased german I really want to advertise this country in a good way. But to be totally honest, the dating game sucks in comparison to other countries. Socializing isn't as authentic, because people do not have that much experience in it. Hard work and family are more valued as it seems. This is especially true for the east (new part) of Germany. If I wanted to live in Germany for a year I would live in Freiburg (very left and young), Cologne (very open and tolerant), Munich (healthy, clean and beautiful city) or Leipzig (also young and not that expensive).

The war will never come to Germany, as Russia would have to declare war to all NATO states, including the US and Britain.

12 hours ago, WenU said:

Hi everybody. I was wondering if I could have your opinion about something I want to do.

I’m planning to move to Germany for 1 year (at least) to move forward with my Life Purpose, improve my dating life and learning the language thoroughly (I studied it at the university but I’m not fluent at it yet). Currently I’m living in the south of Chile.

My question is this: do you think the war will reach Germany?

I’m travelling with the Working Holiday Visa, and I could potentially change destinations to Australia or Canada… in both places I could do what I want to do (except for learning german of course). This is a visa that, for most countries, you can only get until you are 30 years old. I’m 27 now, so I’m kind of close to the limit, that’s why I want to use for the next few years… but obviously I wouldn’t want to get involved in a war…

Let me know what you think and why!

German here. I'll adress your points individually from my perspective:

If you want to improve your German, there obviously aren't many places where you could do so better. I'd recommend a place with many young people though (often cities in which University students make up a significant proportion of the total population), because being at least somewhat skilled or fluent in English (or even Spanish) is way more common among younger people than the older generations here.

Regarding the dating life: I'm not sure. I kinda agree with the people before me, many Germans seem to be rather stuck up, but I've also experienced the opposite. It really depends on where you go. There's also a lot of foreigners from all over the world here, especially in places where there's Universities, so you wouldn't be limited to Germans only.

When it comes to Life Purpose, I think I highly depends on what you want to do. There are many opportunities here, but you might also be better off elsewhere, I don't know what it is you want to do.

I deem it highly unlikely that the war will reach German ground, except if they decide to bomb everything into oblivion with nuclear missiles, then it's not safe here either, obviously.

Germany is also pretty damn crowded in my opinion, so there is hardly any untouched nature left. This doesn't mean there aren't beautiful places though, the country is really diverse landscape-wise.

That's it for now, you can ofc also DM me if you have further and/or more specific questions, maybe me and my gf could even help you with deciding where to go, we both enjoy the cultural exchange.

Edited by Kundalini Cataclysm

Thanks everybody for your replies.

It seems that everybody thinks that war is unlikely to come to Germany... that's nice to hear.

As I said before, I'm moving to advance my LP, but not directly. I want to make music, and the drums and other percussions instruments are my medium. I probably need to learn al least the basics of music production, but at least for now I don't see myself as a Music Producer, rather more of an instrumentalist and collaborator. Having said that, I know that there are better places to be to learn that. The reasoning behind making this move is that I think that speaking german fluently could help me get a better paid job that could maintain me until I can earn a living doing music... but I could be wrong, and learning german wouldn't do much for me in that aspect, after all there are always options, and choosing one oftentimes closes yourself to other options. I would also do my best to start to collaborate in the music scene in Germanyy (I'm thinkin about Leipzig) and hopefully getting paid by doing it.

When it comes to dating I also agree that Germany is probably not the best place to do it hahaha, and hearing that woman are overly rational, kinda cold, and with not a big sense of humour doesn't make it any more appealing... but well, they also probably date, I would just need to adapt.

What do you think? should I be more direct with my LP? which city would you recommend with a thriving music scene in the styles of: new jazz, jazz-fusion, funk, r&b, afrobeat, folktronic, deep house? I've heard that New Orleans is pretty good in that sense. Which country or city would you recommend when it comes to dating?

I really want to travel abroad this year; I've never done it and I had it planned before Covid started. I said Canada was an option for me too, but it happens that you sorta receive the Working Holiday Visa by chance: you're in a "pool" with other people and you're subject to a lottery system, so months might pass and you won't be selected... Getting a Visa to Australia is more expensive but it is easier, so that could be my other option.

If war reaches Germany, then it's a world war at that point. Every country in the EU will be involved. Australia will probably also be at war with China. So there won't really be a good or stable place on earth to be at that point.

I did a similar visa called the Youth Mobility Program to move from Canada to the UK for 3 years and it was definitely an experience worth having. Regardless of what country you go to, I think it'll really grow you as a person.

Personally I'd go with Germany over Australia since you know the language, and how strict Australia was with covid lockdowns. Since I'm in Canada I can't really get a good unbiased perspective. Seems like the safe but boring option.

For your dating life I think Germany would be best, although I don't know how Germans perceive foreigners. In Canada and Australia I feel like people will be just neutral about it. Maybe in Germany it'd be more of an asset. Otherwise I'd agree with the people above that it'd be harder unless you have "foreign-ness" as something to set you apart. People in Germany do seem more cold and distant, same as Scandinavian countries. But I imagine once you get into a group they're just as warm and friendly as anyone else. It's just breaking through.

Are there any other countries like Japan that you can get a similar visa for?

I am from germany. 

Lol Germany and war... You will definitively have ww3 then. 

Germany is a good place to live. Many  people in your age speak english.there are many foreign people here so you will not be an outsider. We are very friendly to All. Dating is also good here, so no problem

Edited by OBEler

Just do it. Very few people ever regret moving to Germany. It has a lot of economic opportunities and learning fluent German is like a superpower that will serve you well all your life. Dating is really different from place to place. Big cities are fine, small towns are horrific. You'll have to fish among leftover pensioners pretty much. But, the good news is, German girls are usually open to dating foreigners and they quite like the latin look. In a big city like Berlin, you should have a blast.

Also, if you should ever be hard up, Germany has a vast network of legal brothels.

If you look on youtube there are plenty of vloggers who document their lives in Germany, mostly Americans and they seem to prefer living in Germany as opposed to back home. I honestly think that in terms of long-term quality of life, Western Europe is pretty hard to beat, only the likes of Canada, Japan and New Zealand come close.