Vercingetorix

High consciousness fiction books?

8 posts in this topic

I would like to find books to read or hear for my recreative time that are also highly conscious. 

My favorite genre is fantasy and my favorite book series as I grew up was "The wheel of time". Recently i started listening again to the series and even thought I still enjoyed it a lot, I felt that it impacts my mentality in a negative way - it makes me feel various negative emotions compared to listening to high consciousness resources. 

I wonder if there are good fiction books that elevate you? and which :)

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are made for"    - John A. Shedd

1 hour ago, Vercingetorix said:

I felt that it impacts my mentality in a negative way - it makes me feel various negative emotions compared to listening to high consciousness resources. 

Can you elaborate on this? I haven't read The Wheel of Time

“We have two ears and one mouth so we can listen twice as much as we speak." -Epictetus

If you're looking for high consciousness sci-fi / fantasy, I'd highly recommend Ursula K Le Guinn

If you're looking for sword fights you won't find it in her work, but if using fantasy as a unique lense to explore sociological and philosophical ideas, Le Guinn is one of the best.

1397606865.0.x.jpg

images.jpeg

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

@lostingenosmaze

Wheel of time is great fantasy book series. I enjoy it a lot. But still the way many characters behave, think, do - is pretty low consciousness behavior that I feel brings my consciousness "vibration" down. compared to listening to Leo or other inspiring videos/audios that lift it - I can see the emotion impact it has on me.

@DocWatts

Thanks. I've listened to A wizard of Earthsea. which book of her did you enjoy most?

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are made for"    - John A. Shedd

11 hours ago, Vercingetorix said:

I would like to find books to read or hear for my recreative time that are also highly conscious. 

My favorite genre is fantasy and my favorite book series as I grew up was "The wheel of time". Recently i started listening again to the series and even thought I still enjoyed it a lot, I felt that it impacts my mentality in a negative way - it makes me feel various negative emotions compared to listening to high consciousness resources. 

I wonder if there are good fiction books that elevate you? and which :)

For me 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 were really really good.

But if you don't like negative emotions, don't read 1984. But it's still an amazing book, though.

Edited by mojsterr

@Vercingetorix For me it's a tossup between The Left Hand of Darkness and The Dispossessed.

The former deconstructs the sociological implications of gender and how survival challenges shape socio-political institutions. It takes place on a planet where the male/female dichotomy doesn't exist, and where brutal survival conditions impact every area of life and society. The book is also a very moving and sincere portrayal of friendship.

The latter is a loose Cold War analogy that explores the strengths and weaknesses of both socio-economic systems in a nuanced way, that also shows how science proceeds in a divided world. The main character is a scientist who's trying to cross the Iron Divide to work with his colleagues from the other society.

Both take place in a shared sci-fi setting, with varients of the human species spread out across different planets.

Her short stories are also really good. Those Who Walked Away From Omelus is a relatively short read / listen, and is a really thought provoking and relevant philosophical thought experiment.

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/