emmafarquhar

Resistance to quitting addictions

4 posts in this topic

So I've been a smoker for roughly 25 years...

I quit smoking cigarettes about 2 months ago but took up vaping in its place. Any advice on how to get rid of the vaping too?? I don't even like doing it. The fact that it makes me feel ill isn't even enough of a deterrent. 

I've listened to Allen Carrs quit smoking book about 100 times repeating different chapters ect trying to sort of try and hypnotize my mind into quitting lol it hasn't worked yet. 

I spose I need to introspect more about it. Any tips out there? 

Try IFS therapy

Try learning meditation. For a free online meditation training try unified mindfulness.

Meditation has been shown to strengthen the part of the brain associated with willpower and quiet the part associated with impulsive urges over time.

It can also be used to directly handle urges.

https://www.shinzen.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/art_urges.pdf

Thankyou ? 

I've never heard of IFS therapy, I just googled it lol it sounds interesting 

Addictions are emotional coping strategies, so try inquiring into just what it is that you're coping with the next time you feel the impulse to vape, and just notice what sorts of feelings come up; notice, too, where you might be feeling tight and tense in your body, and allow those areas to relax and breathe.

'When you look outside yourself for something to make you feel complete, you never get to know the fullness of your essential nature.' - Amoda Maa Jeevan