ethanb121

Is actualized.org a cult

65 posts in this topic

I dont know i think it just might be my ocd but before Leo helped me change my whole life and now im thinking am i ... I have followed alot of his teachings and they have actually changed my life ... Now i have this irrational fear that i might be in a cult .. How do I deal with this... Sorry if this seems alittle bit silly

Edited by ethanb121

@ethanb121 You think you're in a cult because it changed your life??

“We have two ears and one mouth so we can listen twice as much as we speak." -Epictetus

22 minutes ago, ethanb121 said:

I dont know i think it just might be my ocd but before Leo helped me change my whole life and now im thinking am i ... I have followed alot of his teachings and they have actually changed my life ... Now i have this irrational fear that i might be in a cult .. How do I deal with this... Sorry if this seems alittle bit silly

Criticize Leo if you do not get banned all is fine and dandy.
Check posting history of guys like me. Does it read cultish?
Right maybe we are controlled opposition. Damn that is tricky.

9 minutes ago, Epikur said:

That's true why haven't you been banned yet? Very suspicious ? cult confirmed 

I don't think it is, but just to be sure I'm not somehow fooling myself, I diversify my focus to a wide variety of sources, never putting one of them above others on a pedestal. If I were in a cult, I would put a higher authority on one source over others. To avoid this I don't give much authority to any one source, and I especially don't put actualized or Leo above others in terms of authority.

Only use these sources as pointers to discover things for yourself, not to be devoted to any one source. That's how you get the most benefit anyway. 

So, just avoid 1. beliefs and 2. giving over your authority to others, and this way you can steer clear from almost any cults or cult-like dynamics in life. 

Edited by TheAlchemist

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

I've called Leo a fool or worse on my journal multiple times and I'm still here

56 minutes ago, Epikur said:

Legitimately genius point xD

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

I might make a thread about what a real online cult looks like, recounting my personal experiences from a couple of years ago. Spoiler: this ain't it.

1 hour ago, TheAlchemist said:

I don't think it is, but just to be sure I'm not somehow fooling myself, I diversify my focus to a wide variety of sources, never putting one of them above others on a pedestal. If I were in a cult, I would put a higher authority on one source over others. To avoid this I don't give much authority to any one source, and I especially don't put actualized or Leo above others in terms of authority.

Only use these sources as pointers to discover things for yourself, not to be devoted to any one source. That's how you get the most benefit anyway. 

So, just avoid 1. beliefs and 2. giving over your authority to others, and this way you can steer clear from almost any cults or cult-like dynamics in life. 

true

22 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

I might make a thread about what a real online cult looks like, recounting my personal experiences from a couple of years ago. Spoiler: this ain't it.

22 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

you should

What if this actually is a cult but we are so brainwashed we don’t even realize it…

*dum dum dum*

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

No.

I'm free to leave at any time. I'm free to leave at any time. I'm free to leave at any time...

All stories and explanations are false.

2 minutes ago, LastThursday said:

No.

I'm free to leave at any time. I'm free to leave at any time. I'm free to leave at any time...

Why r u saying that over and over

2 minutes ago, ethanb121 said:

Why r u saying that over and over

I'm trying to convince myself that I have free will?

Ok I'll stop joking around. If you were in a cult, leaving the cult would be very difficult. But people come and go here all the time, ergo it's not a cult.

All stories and explanations are false.

1. Do you believe in something because of a general consensus on this forum stemming from a desire to be validated in your opposition to a wider culture? 2. What if you made out your own mind in an opposition to a given culture and from there found like minded people on the given forum?

If you do not care about your ideas unless they can be validated by like minded people, then that can be a symptom of query 1. 

So far as this symptom is considered evidence for the idea you have of cults, and you find good evidence for this in the forum then there you have your answer. 

To go even more meta on it would be to define cult by the symptom itself such that you can easily compare this forum with other strata of society, and end up with a theory on how much instead of whether or not actualized is a cult, or for that matter how much society is a cult.

Hint: actualized is a cult, but society at large is even more so. 

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

29 minutes ago, LastThursday said:

If you were in a cult, leaving the cult would be very difficult. But people come and go here all the time, ergo it's not a cult.

It's tricky when it comes to online spiritual cults, because it's technically very easy to leave, but there is some underlying narrative that coerces you to stay, e.g. "we're now in a spiritual war between good and evil. Some of our members are harboring negative entities and have been plotting to betray us, and they have to be stopped. The fate of the world depends on it." It's a kind of existential terrorism. In this case, all it requires is a charismatic leader who suddenly develops a messiah complex and eschatological visions.