dboyle

Strong Feelings To Drop Out Of University

10 posts in this topic

I'm a first year Math student at university.

I'm just hating my degree. I'm so bored of it. 

I used to enjoy math a few years ago, but right now I don't have that same spark that lead me to studying it at university level. 

I feel a little that that part of my life is over and done with, and that I need to move on to something new and fresh. Something like actually having real world experience and just earning some money for once. 

I think my intuition is telling me to leave. Emphasis on 'think' because I don't know when it's speaking to me or not. 

I'm not connected with my course. I don't care about the material at all. It's very abstract, and I can't see how this connects with my real life. And the thing is, the content itself is so difficult to understand, that me not being engaged is just making it a million times more difficult to get the work done. 

I'm not a materialistic person. I don't care much for having a big house, or a cool car, or whatever. I just wish to be happy and fulfilled. So money is not a big motivator for me in life. 

I think about leaving quite frequently, and cannot currently motivate myself to care about my studies.

But I'm scared of the consequences of leaving. I mean, what will I do if I leave? I'm currently in my 20's, and have had no work experience as of yet. And then there's the fear of what my parents and friends will think. This will be a huge decision if I leave.

And a big thing for me is that I don't want to move back home as it's very bad in my household and very abusive. Moving back would be a killer for my psyche, which is what would happen if I do dropout. 

I don't know what I want to do in the future, and can't see how slogging through algebra for another 2.5 years will help me realise what I wish to do. 

Employers value a math degree quite highly, so I guess I could be throwing away a great opportunity. 

But still, staying and doing this for another 2 and a half years is daunting. 

Advice?

Edited by dboyle

If you hate it, consider quitting it. Or you may end up several years later whining that you wasted years of your life on something you hate. Do figure out what would you enjoy to do in life. What skills do you wanna acquire?  What is important and meaningful to you? @dboyle There must be an area in which you could flourish, just ask yourself. How about changing majors to something more stimulating, interesting to you.. what would that be? 

@dboyle Hi! It seems in your post you've already decided, very clearly the best outcome is for you to leave or switch degrees The problem is if it's too Emotionally  difficult for you to leave you won't  do it. First of all it's normal to feel uncertain at your age, just realising you're in the same boat as so many others makes it more bearable. Remember you've got so much time left in your life to sort things out, as long as you have the intention of finding your passion eventually you'll get there. So take a bit of the pressure off. Now to make it easier there's a bunch of ways to overcome fears of if you leave university.

1: The work Byron Katie. I reccomend doing this. Question thoughts like "if I leave I'll be seen as a failure"

"if I leave I'll be poor for the rest of my life"

find out how to do it here

http://thework.com/

example

Doing just this is enough to stop any fears. So take it very seriously you looking into this could be the difference between you stopping your fears of the future or not doing anything and staying in a job you hate. If you only

get this working you should be fine but there's  some more things below to help if you want.

2: Incantations.

I was in a similar situation and found the tony Robbins technique of incantations to work. It's cheesy but incredibly useful. I used to be uncertain of my future I had no idea how to make money or what to do. After doing incantations where I yelled "I am fucking unstoppable" For thirty minutes a day after about three weeks I was able to have absolute certainty in myself. Where id normally think thoughts like "I'm not good enough" "I'm too scared" now I'd think of ways to break through obstacles and would feel excited. This is pretty much affirmations on steroids because 1: you'll do it for thirty minutes daily. Which is a much longer time, than most people do affirmations

2: It actually feels like you've accomplished whatever you're affirming as you do it because you use your body to create the emotions.

To learn how to do incantations watch this video, its very cheesy and may be uncomfortable when you first do it, but if you do it just once you'll  realise your life can change as you can control your emotions. Make sure you're alone when you do this and if you don't want to yell too loud just move like you would if you were yelling. If you want to I highly reccomend setting aside 30 mins to go through this video.

Once you've watched this apply the feeling of being unstoppable he walked you through around the twenty minute mark while you say "I am fucking unstoppable" for 30 mins a day, this is so much fun to do as well which is a bonus.

Edited by Callum Milner

I have already left my college. And started online business for earning and moved towards enlightenment with my own choice. Experiencing bliss.

My brother is in first year university and he's also considering whether he wants to stay or not. It's definitely a really tough decision. I didn't enjoy my first year either, but I listened to my intuition and ended up leaving and starting a completely different course at a completely different university. 

My advice is to trust your intuition. Your intuition is telling you that your current course isn't quite right, and that you want to be doing something else. Your logical mind is telling you that it's a risk to leave and that your better off playing it safe by sticking it out. So whilst you have to consider the practical implications of leaving university, I think you should trust your feelings (as hard as it may be) rather than your logical mind. 

If you don't want to move back home or work, consider starting a new course? If you're from the UK then this might be an expensive option (as it was for me) but I believe you're allowed 4 years worth of university loans. If you're from a country where the fees aren't an issue then i'd say absolutely change courses.

Goodluck!

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

Thanks for the replies everybody. 

Man, I may have to make a really tough decision. 

This is terrifying...

Maybe this is one of those bold life changing decisions that Leo talked about in one of his vids early last year.

The thing, I worked so hard to get here. So, so, so hard. Years of effort and intensity to get here. Perhaps I'll be throwing all that hardwork out of the window if I decide to leave and do something else. 

Just going through the work now in front of me is a little disheartening. 

Edited by dboyle

I was once in the same situation as you, but I failed to make a rapid switch and wasted a lot of time.

Just end it now and start an online business or do sth that you love instead. Forget about the hard work you invested in it, it does not matter. Don't waste more time with it.

Edited by Old Soul

Here's my key; Philosophy. A freak like me just needs Infinity.

You can only brute-force your way through university so much. If your intuition tells you no, listening to it will be the best choice you made  

I dropped out university first semester, and taking less classes at community college and the best strategic move for self-actualization and happiness. 

Experiences and pieces of my life miraculously came together I would have never thought. 

Take the leap, if you feel it's not right. 

If you regret it, you can go back next semester - none of your friends care. You'll grow either way. I grew the most in my life from dropping out  

Good luck, brother  

It's scary as fuck to drop 

One thing is clear from your post: you don't want to be doing that maths degree. Don't waste anymore time on it. 

I've gotten my self half way through a physics/maths degree only to realise it just wasn't where my passion lies and all my intrinsic drive was no longer there. Changing majors to a field which fascinated me was the best decision I ever made, academically.

Personally, I do not consider those years to be wasted. I can see that I learned a lot about myself and this was a necessary catalyst for growth and in orienting me to the current direction of my personal development. 

It seems to me that you realise it's time to take the next step. Don't continue to waste anymore time on this degree. Start strategically planning your next moves now.

Is there another degree you could transfer to which takes your interest or is university itself something you need to move away from?

Either way, don't move back in with your parents. You're old enough to be independent. If you leave university find a job to support yourself while you plan your next move, focus on your own personal growth, and find a life purpose. 

What will your parents think of you if you dropout? Who gives a fuck, that's there problem.