Brenzo2

MDMA: Healing, Harmful, Both, or Neither?

15 posts in this topic

I have been researching the safety of MDMA in humans, short-term & long-term. And there isn't too much solid consenus. I've just basically done a lot of googling, reddit, trip-reports.

The basics I've worked out to keep health optimal are:

• Ensure you're taking supplements to minimise comedown symptoms.
  • Take a minimal dose, but effective, i.e. in the 80/90/100mg range.
  • Don't fall into repeat usage under any circumstances. (At most once a year).
  • Ensure your stuff is clean and tested.

I don't plan on using this substance purely recreationally and will probably do this in a controlled apartment setting focusing on areas I feel I am blocked emotionally, mentally, psychologically.

My main intention is to access states of healing that I've not yet experienced using LSD, shrooms, or other psychedelics. 

I did have one experience a few years back in a non-optimal setting & uncontrolled dosage due to a friend 'wanting me to have a good time'. This resulted in a couple weeks long imbalance, chemically induced feelings of sadness, and small amounts of anxiety.

I have never experienced any negative longer-term effects since the comedown had worn off. And it had definitely been a larger dose as I had found out from my friend afterwards.

This was incredibly teaching and while I did learn a lot from the mdma-induced 2 week long comedown; I would not like to repeat this.

I know there are posts about MDMA but nothing too recent and up to date.

Can anyone provide any info on how to take this more safely or is it pretty Impossible to judge? I'm a newbie when it comes to MDMA.

Just don't want to do any long term damage to myself as that would contradict the self-actualisation aspect to the point of this whole experiment.

Literally any help will be appreciated if you're willing.

Edited by Brenzo2

MDMA gets demonized a bit because of its potential for abuse and supposed neurotoxicity. People who take too much, too high of a dosage, too frequently and sometimes already have a mentally unstable mind are going to be at a higher risk of a bad experience.  If you use it responsibly you can avoid almost all of that.

I have taken it several times a year for the last 5 years without a bad experience. My last time was a few weeks ago and was ground breaking for me in terms of my connection to reality. I'm the happiest I've ever been. Not saying I'm immune from a bad experience, but I take basic some precautions. 

1) Keep the dosage reasonable. I don't cross 120 mg, I actually prefer to stay closer 100 mg. 

2) Stay away from redosing. You will feel a noticeable difference in your physical and mental state the next day and I think this is honestly where a lot of comedowns stem from.

3) Test your shit of course, make sure it's actually MDMA. 

4) Exercise, eat well, meditate. Take care of yourself and don't rely on the drug alone to create a positive experience for you. I'm usually already beaming with joy before even taking it. 

I personally have run trial sessions with methodical use of MDMA, to explore its potential benefits for personal development. After only a few sessions, spanning across 3 months, my conclusions where, to sum it up, "Not useful for personal development due to strong negative side effects that follow use." MDMA can cause neurotoxicity, and depression. It will definitely unbalance your neurochemistry for a few days as you already experienced. It Inhibits motivation and progress in other areas of your life. This is unsustainable long term. The high overwhelms your receptors and leaves your dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin levels drained, all which influence emotions and psychology. Interesting insights were achieved but at high cost, the reduction in normal mental functioning. It delivered no long term useful benefit. MDMA can open up the emotions and potentially bring mystical experiences but I would suggest limited use. Once a year max, for experimental purposes only, however if you do do more you can directly experience for yourself why this substance is not useful. The backlash makes it not worth it.

The blocks your referring to will only be temporarily removed during the high itself and will most likely return and possible be worse than they began, because now your neurochemistry is disrupted and you have a significant contrast reference experience to how you normally feel. That high state cannot be maintained from consistent MDMA use over time and will not raise your baseline as an outcome. Although potential "healing" is possible in certain cases, depending on the individual. It is damaging normal brain functioning during the process. You cant notice the harmful effects till it wears off. An unavoidable outcome. Its kind of like raising the voltage on a light bulb, Yes you'll be burning brighter and maybe get to see things you didn't expect to see but your also degrading the integrity of the filament faster. MDMA works the same way on your receptors. 

However but not recommended combining with LSD and Psilocybin Mushrooms, with proper dose and timing, In 3 different combinations brought insights into the nature of reality and state changes in consciousness that proved to be beneficial experiences in understanding nuances of consciousness.  You can learn more about "what consciousness is doing"  But these insights are due primarily to the psychedelic addition and I would suggest that using those is what actually delivered the insights I gained during the sessions they were implemented along side MDMA. MDMA itself may show you what higher states of consciousness may be like but it will only hinder true progress into actually getting there. To address your question more directly, You said you feel "blocked" emotionally, mentally, and psychologically, All 3 of these are influenced by and dependent upon healthy neurochemical levels, which MDMA will absolutely alter, I would suggest MDMA is not a viable method to "unblock" these and will most certainly cause more damage. I might add a quick analogy, If your baseline is a 5 it will raise you to an 8 then drop you to a 3.

Hope this was useful to you.  Always keep in mind "Set, Setting, Safety and Dosage"

Focus on the solution, not the problem

Ive also heard that you should eat lots of animal foods the day of and during the trip. Also heard that taking any psychedelic when nutrient deficient is not good for the brain. makes sense to me.

9 hours ago, kamwalker said:

MDMA gets demonized a bit because of its potential for abuse and supposed neurotoxicity. People who take too much, too high of a dosage, too frequently and sometimes already have a mentally unstable mind are going to be at a higher risk of a bad experience.  If you use it responsibly you can avoid almost all of that.

I have taken it several times a year for the last 5 years without a bad experience. My last time was a few weeks ago and was ground breaking for me in terms of my connection to reality. I'm the happiest I've ever been. Not saying I'm immune from a bad experience, but I take basic some precautions. 

1) Keep the dosage reasonable. I don't cross 120 mg, I actually prefer to stay closer 100 mg. 

2) Stay away from redosing. You will feel a noticeable difference in your physical and mental state the next day and I think this is honestly where a lot of comedowns stem from.

3) Test your shit of course, make sure it's actually MDMA. 

4) Exercise, eat well, meditate. Take care of yourself and don't rely on the drug alone to create a positive experience for you. I'm usually already beaming with joy before even taking it. 

Thanks for the reply! Means a lot!

11 hours ago, Brenzo2 said:

My main intention is to access states of healing that I've not yet experienced using LSD, shrooms, or other psychedelics. 

MDMA gives you temporary access to the Love

From personal experience, MDMA for me feels like you are releasing all the serotonin that you have built up in your body. This is why the first few MDMA experiences feel the best. After the 3rd experience of MDMA, the love experience tends to decrease in intensity. This however depends on your base state. 

Do not take MDMA more than once per month.  Try to keep it to a few times per year.

Accompany the experience with great music for better vibrations. :) 

Coming down from MDMA might feel bad the next day or two. Don't take too much the first time you try it.

On 3/15/2022 at 5:19 PM, Brenzo2 said:
  • Ensure you're taking supplements to minimise comedown symptoms.
  • Take a minimal dose, but effective, i.e. in the 80/90/100mg range.
  • Don't fall into repeat usage under any circumstances. (At most once a year).
  • Ensure your stuff is clean and tested.

Sounds like you’ve got it! Be careful with supplements. I know 5htp is a popular one to take after a trip and I heard that if taken during the trip it can cause more damage. Plus those brain supplements can be potent so I would tread very carefully. 

"You Create Magic" 

@Brenzo2

If it's your first time on MDMA and you're taking low doses you can also take Magnesium tablets to help relax the muscles in your face. MDMA tends to make the jaw rattle or 'gurn' as we put it in the UK. Chewing gum is also helpful. I've never done MDMA in a controlled low dose healing/spiritual manner, only in an uncontrolled high dose recreational manner. Either way, I would still suggest keeping some chewing gum nearby and making sure you've got a good uplifting or soothing electronic music playlist. Doesn't have to be heavy music, in fact, avoid music with a lot of lyrics. As you never know how the dose will effect you I'd  still say keep the music ready. It could be a part of your healing process and help you ride the waves of the MDMA more smoothly and gracefully, including the comedown.

Be open to an afterglow. Comedowns aren't always bad, sometimes they're beautiful, especially if you're inexperienced. The more you do it and the higher the dose, the worse the comedowns get.

Also it usually takes around 45 minutes from the moment you drop it to start to feel the effects. Make sure you wait at least an hour before you even consider taking any more, you don't wanna accidentally double dose and then get smacked in the face. It will not be pleasant.

I wish I could take MDMA in a spiritual healing manner, but once you abuse it, it's no longer an option. So be grateful for your opportunity and respect the drug or it won't respect you.

Anyways goodluck, stay safe and enjoy the journey. Hope it brings you what you're seeking and I wish you a happy afterglow without any following addiction and compulsions towards the drug.

Peace.

Edited by Spence94

Helped me and didn't seem very harmful.

Get them tested. You can buy drug testibg kits online specific to mdma and that test the presence of other drugs.

See if your city has any free or paid drug testing services.  In Vancouver there is a place you can literally just walk up to the counter, you give them your drugs, and they test them and call you with the results all for free.  

Buy from a trusted source.

Do it like any other psychedelic trip: plan a few days off, set and setting, alone or with a sitter, clean your room or apartment, etc.. however you like it to deel comfy.

Id recommend water, some food, and vitamins as this can help prevent "the crash" afterwards.   I know for me, i did it twice and the first time i did it without food and the second time with a decent meal an hohr or two afterwards (cant remember) and i felt no crash after.  Maybe fruit too.

120mg is the recommended starter from my sources.

I did 120mg and then a booster dose of 80mg an hour or so afterwards.... or just when i felt the effects wearing off.

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

There is only one trick to avoid come down on a trip! 

Don't get high if you don't want to fall 

Use it only for existential reasons! 

Party afterwards

Make a set and setting as you are going to date the most important person in your life for a discussion and that is your self.

Don't invite a third person in your date!

Don't discuss about football, you have only a few hours. 

You can arrange many dates up to 3 4 weeks distance. 

Make something light for food

Best early in the morning when you are fresh 

Edited by Insane butterfly

On 16/03/2022 at 8:44 AM, Benton said:

When I did mdma I took a tab of acid with it. I took a lot of mdma and had no come down effects I experienced infinite love and I considered it to be the best day of my life for a while. My friend however took less mdma than me plus a tab. She was so depressed over the next three months she had to get a therapist and such. 
I wonder if having the breakthrough into higher consciousness mitigates negative effects? Maybe she didn’t have enough water during the trip? Or was nutrient deficient? I don’t know. It’s more damaging to the brain than most psychedelics regardless. I could tell it was harder on my body than any psychedelic I’d done before while on it. Plus mushrooms and acid aren’t really chemically toxic. MDMA is. Dmt takes its toll too  I’ve noticed. But also at the same time seems to cure certain brain issues. My friend said she thinks dmt cured her autism??‍♂️ And another one said it cured his adhd. I don’t know about any of that. I just like, awakened to God and infinite consciousness you know. + aliens. I wouldn’t say it healed my bipolar per say. But my bipolar hasn’t been an issue for a long time. I don’t know if that can be specifically attributed to psychedelics though. I’ve been doing yoga and all that as well. Also I realized I’m imagining bipolar?

I think that’s what really did it.

O

On 16/03/2022 at 3:09 AM, Kamo said:

I personally have run trial sessions with methodical use of MDMA, to explore its potential benefits for personal development. After only a few sessions, spanning across 3 months, my conclusions where, to sum it up, "Not useful for personal development due to strong negative side effects that follow use." MDMA can cause neurotoxicity, and depression. It will definitely unbalance your neurochemistry for a few days as you already experienced. It Inhibits motivation and progress in other areas of your life. This is unsustainable long term. The high overwhelms your receptors and leaves your dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin levels drained, all which influence emotions and psychology. Interesting insights were achieved but at high cost, the reduction in normal mental functioning. It delivered no long term useful benefit. MDMA can open up the emotions and potentially bring mystical experiences but I would suggest limited use. Once a year max, for experimental purposes only, however if you do do more you can directly experience for yourself why this substance is not useful. The backlash makes it not worth it.

The blocks your referring to will only be temporarily removed during the high itself and will most likely return and possible be worse than they began, because now your neurochemistry is disrupted and you have a significant contrast reference experience to how you normally feel. That high state cannot be maintained from consistent MDMA use over time and will not raise your baseline as an outcome. Although potential "healing" is possible in certain cases, depending on the individual. It is damaging normal brain functioning during the process. You cant notice the harmful effects till it wears off. An unavoidable outcome. Its kind of like raising the voltage on a light bulb, Yes you'll be burning brighter and maybe get to see things you didn't expect to see but your also degrading the integrity of the filament faster. MDMA works the same way on your receptors. 

However but not recommended combining with LSD and Psilocybin Mushrooms, with proper dose and timing, In 3 different combinations brought insights into the nature of reality and state changes in consciousness that proved to be beneficial experiences in understanding nuances of consciousness.  You can learn more about "what consciousness is doing"  But these insights are due primarily to the psychedelic addition and I would suggest that using those is what actually delivered the insights I gained during the sessions they were implemented along side MDMA. MDMA itself may show you what higher states of consciousness may be like but it will only hinder true progress into actually getting there. To address your question more directly, You said you feel "blocked" emotionally, mentally, and psychologically, All 3 of these are influenced by and dependent upon healthy neurochemical levels, which MDMA will absolutely alter, I would suggest MDMA is not a viable method to "unblock" these and will most certainly cause more damage. I might add a quick analogy, If your baseline is a 5 it will raise you to an 8 then drop you to a 3.

Hope this was useful to you.  Always keep in mind "Set, Setting, Safety and Dosage"

Thank you for clearly articulating this! I think this is what I needed to hear. Really useful information ?! Such a nice way to explain the ideas. ❤️

Thanks everyone who replied. Really will take into consideration what you've all said! :x love ya's!

Thanks for your compassion & amazing answers.

Edited by Brenzo2

You can also look up "trip killers".  They'll help you come down from a trip relatively quickly... though i dunno if there are any for mdma.

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

@Brenzo2 Your Welcome, Glad to help. 

Focus on the solution, not the problem

On 19/03/2022 at 1:17 AM, Matt23 said:

You can also look up "trip killers".  They'll help you come down from a trip relatively quickly... though i dunno if there are any for mdma.

Thanks for the advice, i probably wouldn't ever use a trip killer. My most healing trips have been from being able to exert control and 'land the plane' if you get my metaphor.

Just controlled breathing and reassurance from myself that the experience is temporary even if the experience of time has gone haywire.