Striving for more

The concept of IQ is demoralising

53 posts in this topic

Would you say, that a bare minimum IQ is required for almost any job, or thats a wrong argument? The reason why i ask, because i have read about it somewhere, and i am curious, because you seem to know a lot about this.

Well, as I said in my first post, very low IQ (which is below 70) is a valid prediction tool for mental retardation. But thats not because the IQ-test itself is specifically designed to measure that - its more a general loss of  mental capacity that would show in any other function. At some point, you will reach a point where being mentally challenged will make it impossible to follow easiest intructions or executive directions. However, to draw a simple line where this would happen is impossible because, again -the IQ-measurement sucks, is only marginally correlative and leaves out all the complexity of our reality. 

I mean, if you know exactly what is required for that particular job, you can construct a set of metrics, and that can be used and that can somewhat automatize the hiring process or it can reveal some important stuff ,for that special job. Of course the whole process shouldn't be automatized.

Testing with  certain kind of Intelligent metrics lets be it IQ or EQ or something other can be useful. That does not mean though, that it can show overall how intelligent you are, because its all depends on the context, and on what you want to do. So given the necessary context, Intelligent metrics can be utilized.

If we are specifically talking about an overall intelligence of a human, then i am agreeing with you ,that only using IQ for it, is really dumb.

I mean, there are algorytims who already kinda do this in (for example) dating apps but I highly doubt that implementing such ideas in the business sector (at a large scale) will have any meaningful benefits. Quiet the contrairy, I think it might put the focus on shitty parameters like IQ  & EQ, which could make business outcomes worse. However, this doesnt mean that we cant have better metrics in the future, certainly connected with AI-technology - so iam defintely open to that! I also think that the job market kinda auto-selects the right people for certain job. 

Yeah, i am sure there is much more to intelligence, than just IQ, there is no agrument there.

It would be interesting, if we could make a set of metrics that could could reveal the geniuses and the outside of the box thinkers. Maybe assuming it can be done with a set of metrics is dumb in an of itself, because its too reductionistic, and there are things that can't be put in a box, but maybe there could be something, if enough number of metrics is used.

There is a proposed metric, and I forgot where I read this, that predicts out of the box thinkers with a pretty decent accuracy.
One of the qualities those thinkers usually have is the ability to actively seek out alternative viewpoints without getting sucked into them while coming up with some sort of sythesis between them.

Edited by undeather

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

20 minutes ago, undeather said:

There is a proposed metric, and I forgot where I read this, that predicts out of the box thinkers with a pretty decent accuracy.
One of the qualities those thinkers usually have is the ability to actively seek out alternative viewpoints without getting sucked into them while coming up with some sort of sythesis between them.

Yeah, i have heard about that one too, it is an interesting one.

Thank you for your detailed explanations and answers, and for your time!

19 hours ago, Karmadhi said:

You develop it through stuff like meditation, contemplation, self-inquiry, reading good books, maybe bit of psychadelics, opening your mind, emotioanl mastery. Stuff like these right?

Yes, but I also just have innately high holistic intelligence. It's just not measurable by IQ.

There is definitely a big genetic factor to intelligence. Like I said, if you had the genetics of a mule, you'd be stupid.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Yes, but I also just have innately high holistic intelligence. It's just not measurable by IQ.

There is definitely a big genetic factor to intelligence. Like I said, if you had the genetics of a mule, you'd be stupid.

How do you know that it is innate vs as a result of the work? just based on your natural epistemic curiosity in your teens?

52 minutes ago, louhad said:

How do you know that it is innate vs as a result of the work? just based on your natural epistemic curiosity in your teens?

It's a combination. There were strong innate capacities which tend required years of cultivation.

I just know that my core intelligence is not something anyone taught me. It's also effortless, like breathing. It's not something I trained per se. It's something I applied in my self-education.

I've also always felt more intelligent/wiser than everyone around me. I didn't understand why until I realized that I'm just more conscious as a baseline than most people. This is not something I trained. I was born with it.

Innate intelligence is like height. It is what it is and you won't change it. However you can do a lot to cultivate and make whatever intelligence you got shine. You can also practice good health in order to maintain and maximize it. For example, if you consume metal metals your intelligence will drop.

@Leo Gura

my core intelligence

Aren't there lines of intelligence? Which line are you referring to?

Edited by Yali

7 hours ago, Yali said:

@Leo Gura

Aren't there lines of intelligence? Which line are you referring to?

I am refering to pure Intelligence. Intelligence is God's capacity for self-understanding.

Imagine for a moment being so intelligent that you can create the entire universe from nothing. That's what intelligence is at its highest level. Then there are sub-degrees of it which are less than omnipotent.

Omnipotence is simply a function of intelligence. When your intelligence reaches infinity you become omnipotent.

God is pure Intelligence. Intelligence cannot be defined because it is infinite.

15 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Innate intelligence is like height. It is what it is and you won't change it.

Excuse me for my edgy emo comment, but god another example for how awful this world is we live in. Imagine someone wanting something so badly but being limited by genetic factors. I genuinely cannot comprehend why it is like this. 

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

On 16/03/2022 at 0:48 PM, ValiantSalvatore said:

Found this. Unsure if this helps though.

On 16/03/2022 at 1:16 PM, Carl-Richard said:

Interesting, thank you guys. 

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

Dude this days people are more lazy than ever, if you just be able to put 20% + effort in something even with below average"IQ" you will outperform anyone in any topic like work, business, dates or anything.

Just focus on be more productive and increase focus and you will be ok.

Also you need to hoard more general knowledge, this is the difference between sabious people and the rest of people, you just keep acumulate knowledge, IQ does not matter here.

Edited by Alex_R

On 3/15/2022 at 7:56 PM, Karmadhi said:

IQ has nothing to do with wisdom.

What is important to live a good life is wisdom, not IQ.

Plus tbh even for the more shallow materialistic type of Orange success, EQ and social skills matter WAY MORE than IQ.

I would say wisdom and EQ both outmatch IQ by a mile.

Funny thing is that if your EQ and wisdom are well-developed, people will automatically assume you are smart. Happens to me all the time. I never took an IQ test and never plan to, however i think i might be slightly above average but nothing crazy (I scored around 1200 on the SAT). However, because my EQ and wisdom are well developed for someone my age (im 23), people automaically tell me stuff like you are smart etc. It is quite funny, almost like good marketing :P 

So yeah, do not worry about this bullshit. Focus on improving your social skills, meditate, read books and develop EQ. 

IQ obession fundamentally is caused by lazy people who do not want to do any work to improve and grow themselves because IQ is mostly set in stone and cannot be changed. 

Ironically usually Incels that obsesses about facial aesthetics also tend to focus about IQ a lot. Why? Because they have a deterministic attitude towards everything in life. Do not become such a person.

This is the point, if you are able to get the same or better results as someone with high IQ, why you care about it so much??

Apparently, being exposed to highly complex music from ages 5 months to 2 years will significantly develop your language ability and memory recall.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.