PurpleTree

what are the hypocrisies of the "west"

31 posts in this topic

Think it's a great thing that in the west we can talk about these things an criticise our own ways and governments etc.

There are obviously many places you can't really do that too much ( china, russia, saudi etc.)

-For example someone pointed out that Navalny is a kind of whistleblower in Russia and the West loves him, while for example Snowden and Assange are still facing extradition and charges in the US.

First thing that comes to mind is the US accusing countries like Russia, China of dictatorship while themselves blackmailing with sanctions other nations literally trying to force them to comply with the US interests or suffer if they won’t do what US wants them to do. Things like that :)

@K Ghoul

I am curious, you yourself are Russian and are living in US. I always wanted to ask someone this question, so I hope you can answer. 

Why won’t you move to Russia and live there if US is so shitty and evil and Russia is so “great”?

I am saying this because based on your posts, you seem to be shitting on US quite hard and are desperately trying to find any way to defend Putin and Russia’s horrific actions (that in my mind have no justifications).

Again, I am sorry if I sound harsh, but I am really curious of Russians who live in US, shit on US, Biden is horrible, US politics is horrible, everything is horrible, they always complain, but yet they remain living in US and won’t move back to Russia. Shouldn’t you be thankful to the country that “took you in”? This seems to be a common phenomenon of many Russians (especially older generations) living in US, yet hating US.

Edited by no_name

2 hours ago, PurpleTree said:

Think it's a great thing that in the west we can talk about these things an criticise our own ways and governments etc.

There are obviously many places you can't really do that too much ( china, russia, saudi etc.)

-For example someone pointed out that Navalny is a kind of whistleblower in Russia and the West loves him, while for example Snowden and Assange are still facing extradition and charges in the US.

Also the killings. The US would exert control over nations that are weaker economically and the civil populations would suffocate under their sanctions and literally die. Thus, US causing all these deaths indirectly but will proclaim anyone a terrorist organization if they try to do the same but with guns. Very sneaky. 

Also that the west (especially US) looks at Saudi Arabia as an ally when they have a horrible human rights record. They executed 81 men yesterday.

This is just geopolitics, Saudi Arabia is needed as an ally to protect Israel (from Iran etc.) and US hegemony (petro dollar etc)

But it's very hypocritical

Edited by PurpleTree

55 minutes ago, K Ghoul said:

First thing that comes to mind is the US accusing countries like Russia, China of dictatorship while themselves blackmailing with sanctions other nations literally trying to force them to comply with the US interests or suffer if they won’t do what US wants them to do. Things like that :)

So when the US sanctions China for their human rights abuses on the Uyghur population they are acting in their own interests?

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

1 hour ago, vizual said:

So when the US sanctions China for their human rights abuses on the Uyghur population they are acting in their own interests?

USA doesnt give a flying fuck about muslims.usa killed millions in yemen ,syria,iraq,libiya and afghanistan for oil and resources.the only reason usa sanctions china is because usa is trying its level best to stop chinese economic growth.chinese economy is growing fast and is said to beat usa in near future.so usa is trying level best to stop china from beating them economically .

When u follow media so much , u will end up in this type of grand delusion.i stopped following media and man i have so much peace of mind.

3 hours ago, itachi uchiha said:

IMG_20220314_202639.jpg

i don't think that's extremely hypocritical to be honest

obviously you can't care the same about everything

also i've seen many reports of tragedies etc. in subsaharan africa in western european tv

The single biggest hypocrisy of the "West" - which equates to the US and their vassal swarm, also referred to as NATO - is that they continue to invoke public international law in order to condemn the Russian invasion of Ukraine, when they themselves have repeatedly, knowingly and willingly broken international law, invaded other countries and killed millions of people, exported weapons to crisis regions, financed and trained terrorists to destabilize other nations, instigated military coups in foreign countries, spied on the entire world including even their European allies, dominated the entire globe due to their superiority in the air and on the sea, and generally, used every military, clandestine and economic tool at their disposal to further their own interests at the expense of other countries, especially those who refuse to bow down and play according to their rules.

Of course, it would be a great thing if all nations agreed to abide by international law, and stop bullying and invading other countries. But that's not how reality works right now. The countries who can afford it, especially the US, break it all the time without having to fear any consequences. If international law could actually be enforced, a whole host of American politicans would have had to be tried as war criminals over the course of the 20th century. Only it didn't happen, because international law is not enforceable. He who has the most power makes the rules, and at the moment, that's the US.

So to act like international law is this sacred thing that has to be abided by all nations at all times, to act like Russia is the only country in the world which has imperial ambitions and the audacity to break international law, is the ultimate hypocrisy. NATO propaganda wants to spin the narrative of "good vs. evil" and acts as if NATO was the true champion of the people, defender of international law and human rights, when nothing could be further from the truth. They don't give a flying frack about human rights or international law. If they did, they would have to immediately disband their alliance with Saudi Arabia and condemn the regime there in the same way as they do with Russia or China. Of course, they can't do that, because Saudi Arabia is an important ally for them in the Middle East, and what really matters to them is furthering their own interests, NOT enforcing international law and human rights.

Put it this way, when I get caught cheating repeatedly at a game of monopoly, and then, when somebody else cheats, I put on this show of self-righteous indignation - "How dare you cheat at monopoly! This will NOT stand!" - that would be utterly ridiculous and hypocritical. When I don't play by the rules, I lose every credibility to tell others that THEY should abide by the rules.

Just to be clear, I am not defending Russian aggression in Ukraine by saying this. Breaking international law is just as wrong for Russia as it is for the US.

23 minutes ago, K Ghoul said:

Biden is such a dinosaur. He is straight up old ass man in his mannerisms and how he moves. Wish we could get a young president that is like 43 years old in office. 

5 hours ago, Lyubov said:

Biden is such a dinosaur. He is straight up old ass man in his mannerisms and how he moves. Wish we could get a young president that is like 43 years old in office. 

He’s also a confirmed hypocrite.

lol , what about obama,bush, bill clinton. arent they  also war criminals

Condoning and silently supporting Israel's apartheid against Palestinians and Saudi Arabia's war in Yemen. If only the West had the same reaction towards these atrocities as it has now towards Russian invasion of Ukraine.

In a sense the hypocrisy of the West is not much worse than other countries.  A lot of it boils down to geopolitics by defending or ignoring the war crimes we commit while condemning those of our enemies.  China has a similar hypocrisy with saying the United States started COVID and spreading all kinds of lies and propaganda.  It looks like any country spreading propaganda about the enemy is usually a hypocrite.

those in power are usually hypocrites in many different nations. In the U.S.for example, the laws often don't apply to the rich and powerful.  This is probably true everywhere, but when the 18th amendment was passed to ban alcohol the only place it was legal was in the capital building.  My history teacher was confused as to why we would ban alcohol, so I told him that our representatives had too much to drink.  Another recent example is the stock market in which you are not allowed to trade stocks with insider information without disclosing the trades.  The law is not enforced at all for those in power, so they enrich themselves and cling to power to maintain all the money.

On reason this happens is because it takes a lot more work to convict someone in power.  This happens with your boss when he sexually harasses you, billionaires when they illegally evade taxes, or the president when the party in power refuses to impeach him.  They will only impeach the other party's president.

Another major point of hypocrisy would be that we pretend to be more advanced than we really are.  This can include leaving people with the impression that we are above racism thanks to MLK, but in fact there are over 600 white supremacist groups including the American freedom party.  A common quote by conservatives is "I have a dream that one day my four little children will be judged not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.". These are the same people who deny systemic racism while benefiting from it, scapegoat illegal immigrants for the failure of bad policy, move polling stations away from black communities, call COVID the kung-flu, dog whistle to white supremacists and the alt right including neo Nazis, and defend explicit racism in restaurants in spite of the civil rights act which forbids it.  Our country still denies civil rights to transgender people.

I could go on all day.

In no place reigns our hypocrisy more extreme than how well we desire life though do most in our power to prevent it.

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

@Knowledge Hoarder Just because someone is critical of NATO does not mean they automatically want to justify Russian aggression in doing so. What makes you think that? It is perfectly possible to be critical of BOTH Russian and NATO aggression without justifying one or the other. That is NOT whataboutism. I don't know how to make that any more explicit for you.

@Knowledge Hoarder yup

Russia committed war crimes and nato committed war crimes.but some people here think usa and nato=some kind of saintly figure

Edited by itachi uchiha