Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
forest

Intuition Vs Ego

5 posts in this topic

I am struggling with differentiating between my ego and my intuition.

Generally speaking, I’ve been pretty good at feeling and trusting my intuition, but lately I have had a hard time determining if it is truly my intuition guiding me, or if it is my ego confusing me.

The conflict regards an urge to move cities. A couple of years ago my partner and I were planning to move from the east coast of the US to the west coast, to live in a city we both really loved. Long story short, she decided at the beginning of 2016 that she didn’t want to move there anymore, and I decided that it was fine with me to stay.  Moving there wasn’t the most important thing to me, but I was originally excited to make the move. After all, I am very well established in my current city (which I moved to about 11 years ago, currently 30 yrs old), I have a pretty great job in a creative field (I’ve been with the company 7 years now and have moved up a lot), great social circle…my only complaint is that my life feels a bit stagnant after all this time. Lately I have been having daily thoughts creep up regarding moving to the city we were planning to move to a couple of years ago, but I am unsure if it is my ego trying to run from a stable environment (I deal with anxiety and occasional depressive episodes)…perhaps some sort of self-sabatoge, or if it is truly my intuition urging me to take the leap and essentially start a new path. I have no connections there, no job prospects at the moment, and my gf has said she does not want to move there. We haven’t discussed it in about 10 months.  I have been having daydream fantasies of us following through with our original plan and relocating together.

The only reason I can think of to move there, besides loving the city, is that it would be a fresh start...which sounds pretty nice in some ways.

Reasons not to move: my girlfriend probably wont move with me,  I don’t have any job prospects, I don’t have any friends there, it is across the country and far away from any family, I have a great job and stability in my current city that is only 2 hours from family.  As I mentioned before, overall things are pretty good for me, I just feel a bit stagnant.

So, any ideas of how I can determine if I am being guided by intuition or confused by ego?

Thanks in advance for your perspective!

I do not know. myself, I have observed to be more intuitive all my life... developing into a logical person after the fact... and my logic and emotion go hand in hand... 

I saw a video talking about how "breaks" are great to increase productivity, where a break is not stopping work to go on face book - but rather, taking time to rest, nap, walk in nature. it was said that these types of breaks allow the brain to loosely connect things we do not see.... something about two types of focus or something... but the idea came to me then, to think. when I have felt inspired by intuition before, it is in these moments. and not only that, but this sort of sounds like a form of meditation that those who aren't very aware can respect as meaningful... if that makes sense in a way that isn't rude lol. 

I am sorry for rambling... but I guess my main point is, that often when I've felt lost or irritated over a problem at work. I would pace, go for a walk... get away from distractions, to allow me to think. but my thinking would not be focused thinking... in this "mode" of focus it is difficult to stay focused because our mind wanders. it is like when you're reading a book and keep re-reading the same paragraph because your brain is thinking about other things, and to be honest your memory of what you were thinking about is vague, but yet at the same time you feel good, relaxed, sort of "focused" even tho you are not at all focused xD it is hard to explain. 

I do not think this answers your question. but it is the point from which I myself am approaching the same question. 

I heard Leo say in a video, that when it is ego it tries to defend itself. but when it is intuition it is silent, or calmly returns to the same thought, draws you back to it. I am unsure how I myself could make use of that advice... I feel as if when I am inspired by intuition, thoughts lead one into another - not as if to defend, but as if to explore. and I am unaware so far... if that is indeed intuition, or if I am actually masking intuition with too much ego... hm.... 

@aryberry  I have the same difficulties with applying that intuition insight explained in that video. Naturally, one thought leads to another so is that ego or intuiton.. 

23 hours ago, forest said:

So, any ideas of how I can determine if I am being guided by intuition or confused by ego?

Yes, are you excited by where you are? Do you have appreciation for the space you're in? Are you in a charged, yet gentle anticipation of the good things to come? If you have answered yes to these questions, you are doing well to be led by your intuition. 

If a choice is made out of fear, anxiety, stress, a state of lack, or any state of resistance, then this is the ego. These choices always lead to more of these feelings.

To experience the voice of your intuition, relax yourself fully. Take the time to sit. Breathe deeply and fully for 1-2 minutes, then you may propose a question, or simply invoke higher guidance. 

Release all expectation, and simply receive. There is no effort to be involved here. If what you receive feels clear, and comes with a subtle (or not so subtle) joy, then that is your intuition. Listen to it, write it down, and follow it. Usually it will come in that sitting session, but if it doesn't, continue to relax and go about your day. The answer will come soon enough, usually in an interesting way, and when it does, you will know it. Wherever it takes you is the next step. Do not doubt it. Intuition is birthright, but it is also like a muscle that needs to be exercised. You must work against the conditioning of life that causes us to ignore our intuition 99.9% of the time. Practice builds faith, faith creates more ease in hearing and following intuition. Even if where your intuition leads you doesn't look like you expected, you must continue to follow until you see why. The next step leads to the next step, which leads to the next step. Good things happen, expansion occurs, and stagnation turns into movement. 

Rephrasing:

If it feels good and clear, this is your intuition.

If there is resistance and confusion, that is the ego.

That's it, it is that simple, there is no need to complicate it any further. The only exception to this rule is when there is a subject or direction of significance which you feel excitement for but there is also some fear that you suspect may be holding you back. In this case, take action regardless of fear (the action doesn't have to be large, it could be something as simple as exploring the subject more, discussing it with someone, or taking relevant physical actions) then re-feel and check your emotional compass. You will then know clearly if it is the right path or not. 

Edited by Arman

Thank you all for the feedback.

@Arman This is so helpful. I truly appreciate the insight!