Roman25

How headphones ruined my life

31 posts in this topic

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully over time it starts to improve. I was listening to music really loud in my car in the other day and was feeling great, but it did hit me right there how I take for granted that I am able to hear normally and how much it would suck to not be able to listen to music again. I immediately turned the volume down.

I've carefully read all of your comments and I'm surprised how there are a couple of people who have hearing problems as well. I liked the comment from Yonkon when he said that he uses his Tinnitus for spiritual growth. I've never thought of this before, and it sounds like a great idea. Obviously, there will be times when we are depressed from our hearing problems. They are problems after all. But keep in mind that it has a lot to do with your mood and mindset and you're not alone in this battle.

And thanks to all of you who are stopping by to give advice or to let me know that you care. You guys know who you are. This really means a lot to me and I hope you all the best. 

4 hours ago, axiom said:

@Roman25 Can / does the brain learn to compensate for the increased volume of ordinary sounds? 

I have tinnitus. I have learned to forget about it most of the time, but in a quiet room it can become quite annoying. I often wish I was able to hear absolute silence again.

It's very hard for me to understand what the brain does and doesn't do. For me personally, my brain doesn't compensate for anything or do me any favors for my hearing problem. There are days when I'm less sensitive to noise, but there are also days when I'm more sensitive to noise. It's very unpredictable and hard to understand. I have tried to avoid noise and purposefully expose myself to noise to see if it will go away. But these don't do anything. 

I have tinnitus. I feel you. Develop that sensitivity thing is unfortunate. I don’t have hyperacusis thankfully…

I went through a major depression and it made me pretty much give up on my music dream. I can still hear and play fine but… need to build my survival off something not hearing related because I realized how fragile my ears are. 

Music is my main passion for life. I still listen to it, I have no hearing loss. I will likely continue with music once I have more money in future. 

I am hopeful to find a cure in my life time. I no longer am bothered by it like I used to be. I do like silence and I will likely never experience is again. Luckily my tinnitus is a rather nice sound. 

I think stress plays a major role in tinnitus. I’m not fully convinced my tinnitus is due to sound I actually think it’s largely stress induced. 

I have to decide as I go forward whether music is something I will pursue. I mean, I already have tinnitus. As long as I use great care in keeping my ears healthy and do annual or semi annual hearing check ups I can’t see it being a problem. 

Really, is just means music has to be something I do once I break out of wage slavery. I’m still very passionate. I know I’m a good song writer and can be world class. I have some great songs. 

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

I think I have this condition too though not super severely, mild tinnitus too. I've also listened to headphones a lot every day for long periods. My previous pair of headphones had barely any isolation from outside noise so I had to crank the volume to hear it properly. Recently I switched to a pair of noise cancelling headphones, which have allowed me to listen at far quieter volumes which has been a fantastic upgrade.

Have you heard of the band The Magnetic Fields? their Songwriter Stephin Merritt has hyperacusis quite severely to the point where it affects how the band performs on stage, yet he's managed to have a successful career in music anyway.

Sorry to hear that you have tinnitus @Thought Art You seem to be making the best out of your situation. Continue pursuing your dream of music. It is nice to listen to after all lol. 

Hey @eggopm3. The guy who you're describing sounds like a soldier. Being at a band stage is the very last place I'd ever be. I have no idea how he pulls that off, that's just insane. 

On 3/5/2022 at 11:20 PM, Roman25 said:

Are headphones really the cause of my hearing problem? Yes, I am 99% sure they are.

i dont think you headphones might have been the cause. bc i would think that listening to music 10hrs a day would do the opposite which is decrease your hearing

@Roman25 btw tho what kind of headphones were you using and how loud were u playing music on a scale of 10/1 

im just concerned a audiobook listener that likes to always use pockets of free during commute to listen to audiobooks etc

On 3/6/2022 at 1:10 AM, Bobby_2021 said:

I recommend no one wear ear phones that has a bud sticking inside your ears. 

Instead wear head phones that doesn't have an ear plug that sticks inside your ear. 

Ears are very sensitive.

@Roman25 Music may have contributed to your condition in some way. But I am sure that's not the only reason. So don't be too hard on yourself. 

whats the difference between ear bud or no ear bud?

wouldnt noise canceling headphones be preferred? those tend to have ear buds you stick inside

I’m to sorry to hear that OP. :|

I actually started having some kind of tinnitus at some point, but then rationalized it to be “a pleasant side effect of meditation,” ha! 

I remember making a big deal out of it at first, but over time I’ve come to enjoy it, believe it or not!

Somehow it really seems to help focus whenever I pause to feel and take everything in. :x