RMQualtrough

Leo featured in suicide cult article

392 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Tim R said:

Someone please clue me in, who wrote the RationalWiki article?? Adeptus? Please no

@Joseph Maynor

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

The worst part about these is that it takes away all the reasoning and pain behind why the person really committed suicide, of this we have no definitive understanding of the events that lead up to it.

As someone who has been suicidal in the past, and has mostly worked through it - if I had killed myself and someone said it was because of this website - it would undermine my entire story.  The whole reasoning - I think that people look for answers as to why people take their own lives and they want a quick easy answer, someone to blame, something, anything - but it's never that simple.

That said, when it comes to this topic, I would be a bit more sensitive about it then you have been Leo, I know the fact that people have done this really bothered you a lot - but in the future, when people come here because of those reasons, try to give them some warmth if you can - you don't owe them anything, but it does go a long way, some people view you as their hero, or just some guy who "knows best".  So take to heart that people look up to you, even sick people.

Back to what I was discussing.  I think this article does a disservice to the people who have killed themselves, because not only does it paint this place with a tarnish that it doesn't have, but it demolishes any attempt at genuinely understanding the pain someone must be in to end their life and I find that kind of behaviour to be "sick".

To really understand why these two people ended their lives, we would need to understand their whole story.  Don't cut off someone's reasons and place your own over it - it's so cheap, tacky, rude, disgusting.  Not a well thought out article at all...

I did a poll a few months ago about how many people have mental health issues on the forum. Over half of the people who responded had some relationship with mental health issues. It’s important to keep in mind that many people come here dealing with stuff already. Actualized.org has probably helped way more than three people avoid suicide. 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

2 minutes ago, BipolarGrowth said:

I did a poll a few months ago about how many people have mental health issues on the forum. Over half of the people who responded had some relationship with mental health issues. It’s important to keep in mind that many people come here dealing with stuff already. Actualized.org has probably helped way more than three people avoid suicide. 

You could do a sample of your average millennial and younger population and find roughly the same thing. About half of all people under the age of 35 will probably report struggling with some kind of mental illness at some point in their life. Might even be higher

I don't think this forum necessarily attracts a higher percentage of people who struggle with mental health

28 minutes ago, Loba said:

The worst part about these is that it takes away all the reasoning and pain behind why the person really committed suicide, of this we have no definitive understanding of the events that lead up to it.

As someone who has been suicidal in the past, and has mostly worked through it - if I had killed myself and someone said it was because of this website - it would undermine my entire story.  The whole reasoning - I think that people look for answers as to why people take their own lives and they want a quick easy answer, someone to blame, something, anything - but it's never that simple.

That said, when it comes to this topic, I would be a bit more sensitive about it then you have been Leo, I know the fact that people have done this really bothered you a lot - but in the future, when people come here because of those reasons, try to give them some warmth if you can - you don't owe them anything, but it does go a long way, some people view you as their hero, or just some guy who "knows best".  So take to heart that people look up to you, even sick people.

Back to what I was discussing.  I think this article does a disservice to the people who have killed themselves, because not only does it paint this place with a tarnish that it doesn't have, but it demolishes any attempt at genuinely understanding the pain someone must be in to end their life and I find that kind of behaviour to be "sick".

To really understand why these two people ended their lives, we would need to understand their whole story.  Don't cut off someone's reasons and place your own over it - it's so cheap, tacky, rude, disgusting.  Not a well thought out article at all...

True… sort of gross that people just jump on ‘website bad’ instead of all the various reasons things happen…

A wise person can be intelligently honest 

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

It is one Journalist who wants to get high click Rates. So he looks for things which can fit in the Story of a shocking cult. 

I laughted how he just lists every thing that sounds creepy without commenting it. So it should speak for itself (like Leo is releasing Videos how to make a girl squirl). 

It is so stupid and my comment he will interpret also as a blind believer of this cult. Glad there is more senstibility out there about fake news (Thanks to trump) 

Edited by OBEler

Sorry @Leo Gura I am fearful and worried about you too. And also about your health too as you have physical health issues . Is it getting better ? 

1 hour ago, Tim R said:

Someone please clue me in, who wrote the RationalWiki article?? Adeptus? Please no

lmao

1 hour ago, Thought Art said:

Leo can communicate better on forum…

But the forum covers a wide range of conversation… as does the video catalogue. 

It’s a blessing and a curse

As I remember he mentioned that both the forum and blog posts were meant to be raw and unpolished.

Many just do not take this into account while reading him, thence all the unnecessary friction.

Also his writing style is short and direct, unlike the videos he does. The pros are obvious, but one of the cons would be that people will be drawn to project their stuff onto it more easily.

1 hour ago, Inliytened1 said:

He wrote that whole article? Why would he do that, you'd expect a guy with over 15,000 comments on this forum to have some type of loyalty, im surprised he's not banned lmao

19 minutes ago, Bando said:

He wrote that whole article? Why would he do that, you'd expect a guy with over 15,000 comments on this forum to have some type of loyalty, im surprised he's not banned lmao

He was banned years ago.

He is unsufferabley dense and egotistical.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 hours ago, Inliytened1 said:

@Leo Gura you do know who wrote that right?  Your favorite person...

What's up with Adeptus? Why is he obsessed with Leo? All I see is him wanting to demonize one person and it's like his whole purpose on his youtube channel and now this article is to demonize someone else.

Personally when I see something I don't like, most of the time I just move on and find something/someone that is in alignment with my values/beliefs...

Why doesn't he focus on how he can improve himself and not be this bitter person who keeps hating and tarnishing someone else's reputation?

@somegirl 'Cause some people genuinely get a kick out of it... trolls and so forth, they feel justified to crusade against what they consider to be wrong.
Sometimes people who have a lot of flaws project it onto others because doing the actual work is hard, while it is easy to hide behind an image and make someone else out to be a monster.  Literally, some people just spend their lives doing this, it's super sad in a way.

@somegirl  Not true though, he only has a couple of videos dedicated to Leo. And he probably made those for some spiritual Youtube clout chasing. Gotta build your channel somehow

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

1 hour ago, somegirl said:

What's up with Adeptus? Why is he obsessed with Leo?

Why doesn't he focus on how he can improve himself and not be this bitter person who keeps hating and tarnishing someone else's reputation?

To be fair to him, he has stopped uploading videos about Leo since the "Top Dangers of Psychedelics" episode, six months ago. He has even called out on his fans causing gossip over WaveInTheOcean's suicide saying it's not close to comparable to Soonhei's incident. I don't think a troll would ever do that.

Edited by lostingenosmaze

“We have two ears and one mouth so we can listen twice as much as we speak." -Epictetus

2 minutes ago, LSD-Rumi said:

This member @WaveInTheOcean comitted suicide after soonhi? Why didn't we discuss it?

We discussed it plenty.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura I tried searching but there was no thread for it. Can someone give me a link for the thread