RMQualtrough

Leo featured in suicide cult article

392 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

I agree your damned either way but at the same time It's not defending its enlightening...shutting them out as trolls makes it worse then speaking to them directly in my opinion.  It takes 5 minutes to explain to someone what you just explained to us and move on. If they come on here and read it fine.   Totally your call.  Your work your business.  I just believe it is a total lack of communication that causes these things to come out.  But hey its no skin off my back if its no skin off yours.

I may engage with serious critics in the future. But I have to see that they are serious and really want to understand the work. Not just looking to stir outrage like Adeptus likes to do. He can't help himself. He's just ignorant about spirituality.

If someone like Curt Jaimungal wants to question me for 5 hours specifically about the dangers of my work, I am happy to answer.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

they are quoting Adeptus Psychonautica.

LMAO

The article in a nut shell:

Young depressed neurotic person still young and depressed and neurotic after watching YouTube videos. Blames others for his problems.

thoughts on article:

1. No mention of Leo’s attempt to warn people of the dangers of the work or to make the forum a safer place

2. no ownership of responsibility of the people coming to the forum who clearly already had mental health problems

3. People on the forum and Leo don’t know you. If you are having panic attacks and have done 0 spiritual work… chances are that has nothing to do with spirituality. You need to seek professional advice. Leo is a YouTube channel where he shares his philosophical and spiritual insights. He is not a healthcare worker.

4. Thousands of people watch Leo’s videos and some will kill themselves. But, people are killing themselves anyway. There are a lot of vulnerable and disturbed young people in our society. Simply doing nothing isn’t going to help anyone. Anyone with suicidal thoughts should seek medical attention and call suicide hotline. For me personally, Leo’s work is about HONOURING YOUR LIFE! Suicide is not promoted here and never will be. However, it’s acknowledged the difficulty around assisted suicide for people in extreme suffering. Again, if you are suicidal call a help line. That’s what I did. I don’t blame others. 

5. The subject matter here can be mentally destabilizing. Leo, mods and leaders of the forum should do their best to be responsible in how we talk about things like death, suicide etc… but we also have to be able to share our honest views of deep spiritual truths. It’s a complicated situation.

6. The article makes it seem like we don’t care about one another’s well being here. This is completely false. However, not everyone here is well educated, we don’t know one another, and this isn’t a place to find definitive advice on anything.

Forums are not a place of truth, or solid mental health advice. Please use a professional for mental health advice not other people on a forum.  

Reality is imaginary. Death is imaginary. However, imagination is all that there is! Imagination is reality. 

Honour your life, take care of your body and mental health. Things being imaginary is no reason to harm yourself or others. 

This work is dangerous. So, tread lightly. Take full responsibility if your gonna partake in this work. 

7. Please write articles that are balanced. It’s simply foolish to only take one side. Clearly tens of thousands of people are listening. How are they doing??

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

15 minutes ago, Yarco said:

If you guys want a real laugh, check out his RationalWiki page

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Leo_Gura

Imagine writing this shit and not being able to see your own bias

The best part of the article:

Just look at the smug face on the front page of the website. "Give me money today."

:D :D :D

Rationality eating its own tail

14 minutes ago, Yarco said:

If you guys want a real laugh, check out his RationalWiki page

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Leo_Gura

Imagine writing this shit and not being able to see your own bias

@Leo Gura you do know who wrote that right?  Your favorite person...

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

1 minute ago, Inliytened1 said:

I suspected as much.

Obviously the first bit. When you break through the manners people shield themselves with to justify whatever they are doing to others or themselves, people can perceive themselves as aholes because they were cloaking themselves in that identity. Depends if that identity is built on anything more solid than 'manners' or learned behavior I guess

As for the rest. I think its even simpler than you say Leo. If ten thousand come through your forum seeking help, often when they are in a bad place, a few aren't going to make it. Sad as that is, and having been there myself more than once. Just the way it is.

I think because your audience is a bit broader than say Seven's, its harder to talk life and death. Same with Teal's audience, she got a huge backlash. Religions like to keep that their domain and they only get away with that because it was drilled into people's entire identity since birth and reinforced through popular mythos or stories.

If I can give an opposite perspective. People who want to learn benefit from you. So do people who want a great big beam shined on their head when they need to realise something. Rather than dodge it, as we all tend to do when threatened. If we dodge, dodge, or put our head in the sand, then eventually it gets painful to hear something, even if that's everyone's first reaction. Also I suppose those who can deal with the pain of that, or the fear of losing their identity.

Anyway just my musing. Teal went through this for what its worth, you can probably reach out for advice, check in spiritually, or study what happened there over youtube. I'm sure its all in the collective mind now to tap into if you have that ability within you.

Also thanks, for going through this. For what its worth. Means a lot.

6 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

A creative mind wasting its potential.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

Just now, Gesundheit2 said:

A creative mind wasting its potential.

Totally :)

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Someone here please promise me that you will screenshot that entire RationalWiki page and read it in full at my funeral.

This will make my life complete.

Just now, Leo Gura said:

Someone here please promise me that you will screen shot that entire RationalWiki page and read it in full at my funeral when it die.

@Someone here

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

@Leo Gura Some people are absolute clowns. Its just something you wont be able to get away from. Just keep doing you.

“Life is just a break from an Infinite Orgasm. Prolong your break for as long as you want. Ride that wave. But don’t forget where you're headed.”

2 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Someone here please promise me that you will screen shot that entire RationalWiki page and read it in full at my funeral when it die.

That will be fun, many of us will be willing to sing it in a Choir. I'll make the music.

Or do you want it just read and not sang ?

Edited by Yog

We are working in a very challenging space. I’ve suffered from suicidal thoughts long before find Leo’s work. Reality is hard, brutal and scary in general. I’m not gonna blame other people for my own immaturity though. 

I have spoken to other people who watch Leo… and yeah they can seem a bit condescending and combative. This is a negative aspect of some of Leo’s work that he is sort of a warrior… but people are like that anyway. 

Sort of like speaking to a parrot. Leo’s videos don’t instantly make you more conscious. Unconscious people will take things and do… unconscious things with them…

Leo’s work can be confusing. Newbies need to be taught how to go about this work at a safe pace…

As a community we need to create a safe space. Perhaps contemplating what a video lecture is, what a forum is is crucial.

These things are not medical professionals or medical services. They can be used healthily in conjunction with each other. 

It’s like looking at a map, then driving into a wall and blaming the map you don’t know how to drive. Take responsibility!

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

Someone please clue me in, who wrote the RationalWiki article?? Adeptus? Please no

Reminds me of Dr.K and Reckful.

Youtube Leo Gura is perfect the way he is, but forum Leo Gura has been irresponsible in my opinion.

Yes, people with serious mental illness should not come here, but they do, it's just inevitable, its expected that people that want to escape their suffering are more prone to discover actualized.org and gobble it all up, most normal happy people just don't find this subject matter interesting.. . Leo should have been VERY aware of this, but the way he speaks about death in this forum is very prone to misunderstanding, which leads to this dangerous idealization that death = god.

The dangers are lessened in youtube videos, because Leo carefully explains everything he means, there is less room for misinterpretation. That doesn't happen in the forums as Leo's cryptic messages are very short and vague, and this combined with the meddling of other users chiming on their own biases can be VERY disorienting for those in need of serious help.

The forums have a big problem, I don't think most here want to acknowledge it, and shit needs to change.

Maybe more of a clear message somewhere on the forum and website that the place for people with thoughts of suicide should be one of these help numbers or organisations, then list the ones/one you think is most helpful in the immediate moment.

I got that idea when I revisted teals website again the other day, its at the bottom of her page, she's obviously been through it and found that answer. It helps direct the people in the most danger or pain to a solid physical support system that's immediately there for them.

Edited by BlueOak

8 minutes ago, Mafortu said:

Youtube Leo Gura is perfect the way he is, but forum Leo Gura has been irresponsible in my opinion.

Leo can communicate better on forum…

But the forum covers a wide range of conversation… as does the video catalogue. 

It’s a blessing and a curse

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"