John Paul

when is it normal to feel sleepy? after meal?

12 posts in this topic

when is it normal for the mind to be tired? after food normal? after certain hours, maybe 3 hours of creative work normal to be sleepy? is it healthy to feel sleepy in the day at all, is it possible to not be sleepy in the day at all?

how sleepy is normal for these or other situations? on how much sleep?

In my experience carbs make me sleepy. When I'm doing keto I wake up fresh and I'm not sleepy after meals. I ate oatmeal two hours ago and feel terrible - sleepiness + brain fog.

Oatmeal is the worst I'm lit more productive after eating chocolate & ice cream lol. 

I can't see how fruits would cause brain fog. I don't have problems eatings dates, bananas, oranges ect.., but fuck grains.  

Edited by Striving for more

If your circadian rhythm is aligned with the cycle of the day, it is normal to start getting sleepy with loss of natural light....well in ideal world at least where there is no blue light and never-ending screen time. 

It would be considered normal to start feeling that sleepiness about 2 hours before your typical bedtime and that feeling should gradually increase if you don't expose yourself to stimulants or excessive amount of blue light. 

You shouldn't feel sleepy during the day although it is normal to feel tired after an exhaustive mental or physical work ) or sex) 

It is not normal to feel sleepy after food and it is not normal to feel sleepy and low in the morning other than the buffer time it takes to fully wake up. Also for a healthy young person, one should not feel tired at random points of the day if there was no previous exhaustive task. 

Some people nap in the afternoon but if the reason for nap is that one is completely shattered by lunch meal then something needs to change (often it is the meal consistency especially the amount of processed carbohydrates and low fibre content). A meal should be energising not sedating 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

15 hours ago, Michael569 said:

It is not normal to feel sleepy after food and it is not normal to feel sleepy and low in the morning other than the buffer time it takes to fully wake up.

what are some possible causes of sleepiness after food? too many calories? allergy? most likely cause?

Average buffer time to fully wake up? just curious for answer, doesn't sound like a biggie for me.

thanks for your help

15 hours ago, Michael569 said:

(often it is the meal consistency especially the amount of processed carbohydrates and low fibre content).

so the ideal meal is like...

@Username @Striving for more i like oats... sometimes i get tired but usually it gives me a steady energy feeling and no stomach problem with oats.. i can't eat bread and pasta i know

11 hours ago, John Paul said:

so the ideal meal is like...

mostly fat, then protein. Some carbs are fine, try eating carbs that come with fiber, like blueberries, carbs from whole foods basically

If you eat something like an avocado, you won't feel any decline in energy levels or a feeling of heaviness in your body. There are some meals you can eat and you'll still feel like you can run a marathon after eating them. Just pay attention to how your body feels. Salmon is great too. Maybe salmon, avocado, and some greens might be the move. Careful with greens though, you probably wanna cook them, if you eat them raw they can have oxalates which cause digestive problems, the oxalates get reduced when you cook them.

11 hours ago, John Paul said:

what are some possible causes of sleepiness after food?

Could be an insulin response messing with blood sugar levels, either too high or too low. Blood sugar can control energy levels like that. Or maybe, for whatever reason, the food isn't being digested properly. You can try paying attention to foods that do and don't make you feel this way, maybe pay attention to the nutritional profile and look for patterns regarding that.

Edited by Osaid

You are what you currently desire. ❤️

@John Paul  Its not normal, usually a sign you didnt balance carb:fat:protein ratio in your meals or you ate things triggering your immune system

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

Stay away from grains as much of possible. I used to eat a lot of bread, bread makes you sleepy and bloated. Oatmeal, nobody likes it, we serve with yogurt or milk to cover the palid taste. Avoid carbs if u don't want to be sleepy ?

If you combine carbs and fat you'll be sleepy of course after dinner.

I remember I ate cottage cheese with honey as a dessert, and I was finished.

Like some other people said it's the carbs especially grains that make you sleepy. I used to experience this a lot and gradually cut down on carbs until I felt better. I'm usually under 10g of carbs per day now and my energy and mood is very stable. Kudos for trying to figure this out as being sleepy after a meal is very normalized nowadays.

On 28/02/2022 at 9:59 PM, John Paul said:

when is it normal for the mind to be tired? after food normal? after certain hours, maybe 3 hours of creative work normal to be sleepy? is it healthy to feel sleepy in the day at all, is it possible to not be sleepy in the day at all?

how sleepy is normal for these or other situations? on how much sleep?

If you feel sleepy after a meal you ate the wrong mix of the macro nutrients (most likely to fatty)
You need 8 hours of quality sleep every night. Get an Oura Ring to check your HRV and resting pulse, Respiratory levels etc. to see how restful your sleep actually is.

I teach this in my masterclass. 

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?