Arielle

Really Good Question That I Don't Think Anyone Has Thought Of.

18 posts in this topic

Music is about the human condition.  As someone who's passion is music, and who wants it to be there career. How does one continue to create and enjoy music if we are to detach ourselves from the human condition to live a fulfilling life? For better clarification, an example, Music is about love, sex, sadness, triumph, heartbreak, so on and so forth. These are all human conditions. And in order to be enlightened or to simply just be more fulfilled in your life. You can not attach and identify yourself with theses things. Yet this is what music is all about.  It's a wonderful invention that connects us all. But if we are to tread this path of enlightenment, All of that is abandoned, and would seem no longer useful in the enlightened persons life. So how does one continue a career in music? What could I write about? all I know is the human condition, that's all music is. I was reading for an hour on Eckhart Tolle's book The Power of Now, today, And been practicing what I have been taught in this book, And already feel a little at peace, and learned alot from this book, which is already making me feel detached from theses human conditions but then leaves me blank on what to write about in my music, which originally was going to be heartbreak and sadness, but I've learned in the book to not attach and identify with those. So this is a very serious matter right now. I do not want to give up music. Can enlightened people still make music of the human condition? Without having to get attached right? If that is possible, that is great! Cause they should still feel emotions right? There not like stoic I believe. Excuse my ignorance there.

It is completely possible for enlightened people to express themselves. For example, Rupert Spira is a great enlightenment teacher and is also a well-known studio potter :D

It is true that as you become more self-aware and have a better understanding of existence the content of your music may change, but this doesn't mean the music should stop. Let your music be an expression of Truth.

This thought have definitely arisen before :) Enlightenment doesn't stop you from anything :) 

On 1/17/2017 at 3:56 PM, Arielle said:

Music is about the human condition.  As someone who's passion is music, and who wants it to be there career. How does one continue to create and enjoy music if we are to detach ourselves from the human condition to live a fulfilling life? For better clarification, an example, Music is about love, sex, sadness, triumph, heartbreak, so on and so forth. These are all human conditions. And in order to be enlightened or to simply just be more fulfilled in your life. You can not attach and identify yourself with theses things. Yet this is what music is all about.  It's a wonderful invention that connects us all. But if we are to tread this path of enlightenment, All of that is abandoned, and would seem no longer useful in the enlightened persons life. So how does one continue a career in music? What could I write about? all I know is the human condition, that's all music is. I was reading for an hour on Eckhart Tolle's book The Power of Now, today, And been practicing what I have been taught in this book, And already feel a little at peace, and learned alot from this book, which is already making me feel detached from theses human conditions but then leaves me blank on what to write about in my music, which originally was going to be heartbreak and sadness, but I've learned in the book to not attach and identify with those. So this is a very serious matter right now. I do not want to give up music. Can enlightened people still make music of the human condition? Without having to get attached right? If that is possible, that is great! Cause they should still feel emotions right? There not like stoic I believe. Excuse my ignorance there.

Check out Martin Ball

This is the Enlightened guy Leo did an interview with about 5-Me0. He's likely enlightened...and makes pretty cool music.

On 1/17/2017 at 9:56 PM, Arielle said:

Cause they should still feel emotions right?

It seems like, yes.

I like this quote from Nile Rodgers, at 0:52 "spiritual, primal, intellectual and physical levels"

Edited by Soulbass

Yes! they are not exclusive in any way! You can do anything whether you are enlightened or not. Thinking that the human condition is not something you can explore anymore just because you are on this path is an illusion I believe. The human condition is wonderful to explore, it is so dramatic and funny, it has so many shapes and colours, why would you want to deprive yourself of this big show? You might not attach to the story presented by the actors on stage, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy going to the theatre anymore..

So now which performance is it you want to direct ? :P 

@Arielle Enlightenment puts you MORE in touch with the human condition, not less.

You cannot even fathom or appreciate the human condition until you've awoken from it at least once.

If anything can super-charge your creativity, it's enlightenment. Every artist should become enlightened, if only to improve their art.

The biggest thing that gets in the way of great art is ego.

It's interesting that artistic-types are the ones you tend to love psychedelics. Psychedelics are like raw divine inspiration.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It's interesting that artistic-types are the ones you tend to love psychedelics. Psychedelics are like raw divine inspiration.

I can relate. Even before I learned of psychedelics from you, I already had little playful ideas in my mind involving psychedelics (and rainbows too, for some reason). Now that I do know about it, my imagination is still pretty much the same but I am yet to actually take psychedelics for myself. Maybe I'll do a little "Before and After Psychedelics" comparison with my art to show the results when it happens.

14 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@Arielle

If anything can super-charge your creativity, it's enlightenment. Every artist should become enlightened, if only to improve their art.

Same goes for singing. Everyone can have an amazing voice if they let their soul and passion shine through, it's good spiritual practice too because really putting that sound out of you can flare up the ego quite well. 

On 1/19/2017 at 4:39 PM, Leo Gura said:

@Arielle Enlightenment puts you MORE in touch with the human condition, not less.

You cannot even fathom or appreciate the human condition until you've awoken from it at least once.

Oh wow I did not know that. Thank you for this!

@Orange Yeah I think life will be kinda bland and boring without going along with the human condition. Well said!

29 minutes ago, Arielle said:

@Soulbass Very intriguing! is Nile Rodgers an enlightened individual?

Who knows...

All artists are bit enlightened.

Edited by Soulbass

On 1/17/2017 at 3:56 PM, Arielle said:

Music is about the human condition.  As someone who's passion is music, and who wants it to be there career. How does one continue to create and enjoy music if we are to detach ourselves from the human condition to live a fulfilling life?

one idea, you could be more in-touch with the human condition through mindfulness. anxieties, fears, and etc. don't get erased - it has been said that a mindful person feels them more intensely, but is just more able to not be carried away. You can even become more in touch with your intuition. 

be inspired by the experiences of others, maybe. Moreover, you can work strategically and with research not only to find new ideas, but also how best to express them. You can focus on the quality of the sound and words, making those great doesn't need the human condition. 

and of course - mindfulness is one of the experiences of being human. music inspired by mindfulness for mindfulness is valid content - or perhaps, music that inspires mindfulness or similar, in people who are unaware of it. catch the attention of the masses, but then hook them by tricking them into authentic experiential states hehe. well, not really sinister, if that's implied by "trick" xD

in that line even, study psychology and similar fields, and figure out ways to use sound and vocals to inspire certain emotions in a person by the science of music instead of by the passion of your own experiences. classical music, isn't that all about using sound to inspire emotions? maybe research classical history for some ideas of what you can do. 

I saw an inspirational short video by an artist, and it needed music. that music was inspired by the story it was made for - so work with an artist or game designer etc. and fit music to what its purpose is instead of finding inspiration for pop music.