Kamo

Nootropics for Reading Enhancement

13 posts in this topic

When reading books or articles, what kinds of Nootropics have you tried that promote increased reading speed with comprehension and retainment? 

I have tried:

• Noopept
  • Sulbutiamine
  • Vinpocetine
  • Uridine 
  • Phenibut
  • L-Theanine
  • Alpha GPC
  • Lions Mane
  • Qualia Mind

Asking for any second opinions on the ones I listed as well as recommendations of others not mentioned.

I know about Modafinil, but this substance is by prescription only and (U.S) customs ceased my order when i tried to get it a version of it online. (Provigil, Modalert, Artvigil, ect..) so Im unable to obtain that one, so exclude any opinions regarding its effects.

Focus on the solution, not the problem

@Kamo

If you want reading speed you could stop reading words verbally in your mind. Also this Tim Ferriss video has some good points. Also if you have trouble with your concentration then I would just practise meditation more. I would also say that healthy vegan food makes you more relaxed than any of these supplements. One more tip for reading more could be to try audio books once in a while.

Edited by Kksd74628

Who told you that "others" are real?

@Kksd74628 Thank you for the advice, I seen that video before, and use that advice. I have actually done all the things you mentioned. Concentration is good, no issues there. Daily meditation and diet helps with that already. Audible is a great app, I listen to many books on there often, mainly while Im driving or in the gym. I don't struggle with my reading and need to supplement to fix a deficit, I was just wondering what nootropics would enhance it even more than naturally, to take advantage of potential benefits they can provide, So I was just looking for second opinions on the nootropics themselves in regard to reading. I know I don't actually need them but I enjoy taking advantage of using tools.

I do however, notice the subvocalizing of the words in my mind as I read, I have heard Jim Kwik mentioned something about that before, it doesn't seem to slow me down reading that way so I haven't tried to not do it, lol. It seems quite automatic as if its not something I can actually influence? Do you know how to reduce subvocalizing?

@Kamo

There are many ways to reduce your subvocalization free in the internet, but one practise that I found out was to use this site and trying to increase the speed to the point that your subvocalization can't keep up. You need to copy paste something here that you would like to read and then change settings as you like and for example for me it is easier if there is only one row of words. That would be the exact same way than just using your finger, cursor or some other pointer to "track" where you are reading.

You will most likely still pronounce some words in your head, but that at least reduces it and also trains you to read faster. So just trying to read faster helps to cure this. One guy on the youtube said that it's imposible to take all subvocalization away, but who knows. At least for me I don't NOW subvocalize all words when I read, but just some of them so basically there comes skips in it, but still I understand everything that was being said.

Also I would say that supplements or even diet won't help your reading speed, because that is just about techinque. They help only for concentration skills. I would also ask that what is the point in reading faster. If that is just to get more information then I suggest reading from high quality sources, because there are more and better information packed into same amount of text. What are your thoughts about this?

-joNi-

Edited by Kksd74628

@Kksd74628 Thank you for the site link, I actually already have an app that does exactly that on my tablet! lol Doing it on my laptop with that site will be put to good use. As I mentioned though, Im not specifically looking to read faster. Just opinions on the nootropics, But I have alot of books from Leos book list id like to finish, they seem like high quality. I find that some of the nootropics help with mental fatigue, as I get tired of reading for long periods of time, as well as they help in retaining the information I read. That was my experience with some of the ones I mentioned. 

@Kamo

First of all Leo has video about nootropics and you can google about them whenever you want. As I said good cure to mental fatigue can be found in extreme high quality diet. The point is that it does not matter how good additive things you put into your car tank if the main fuel is horrible to begin with. If you are taking coffeine I would stop that completely.

Also drinking enough water, sleeping well on good pillow and bed, physical sport and meditating regularly is really important if you want to maximize your energy levels. Kriya yoga helps to increase your energy levels in your body so I would also suggest you to check that. In case you want to talk more I am open to that so keep asking questions, if you will.

@Kksd74628 I also have watched both of those videos. Thats how I learned about some of the nootropics mentioned, but i been taking some nootropics for years before Leo came out with that video. I rarely drink coffee and my diet is based exactly on that video as well. lol. I have 3 Kriya Yoga books from Leos list. The one is quite in depth but I have not set a good routine with it yet. So like I mentioned im not deficit in these areas your advice is aiming to improve, I have the information about them, I guess what I am truly seeking is a conversation with someone who also has tried these nootropics and hear what they think about them. So I came to the forum for personal reviews by people who I know are doing development work like myself, which i think is more valuable to me than reading something online under product reviews.

CDP Choline is probably better for reading than Alpha GPC, worth a shot

On 22.2.2022 at 8:58 PM, Kamo said:

When reading books or articles, what kinds of Nootropics have you tried that promote increased reading speed with comprehension and retainment? 

I have tried:

• Noopept
  • Sulbutiamine
  • Vinpocetine
  • Uridine 
  • Phenibut
  • L-Theanine
  • Alpha GPC
  • Lions Mane
  • Qualia Mind

Asking for any second opinions on the ones I listed as well as recommendations of others not mentioned.

I know about Modafinil, but this substance is by prescription only and (U.S) customs ceased my order when i tried to get it a version of it online. (Provigil, Modalert, Artvigil, ect..) so Im unable to obtain that one, so exclude any opinions regarding its effects.

unfortunately modafinil and piracetam are the most effective i've tried

never tried noopept or sulbutiamine but read good stuff about it on reddit

most stims are too stimulating for me

@Ry4n CDP, Oh yeah? Ok cool yeah ill check that one out! Thank You! What have you experienced, quality wise from it?

Edited by Kamo

@PurpleTree I tried anirecitam. thats similar to piracetam, It was too stimulating for me too.  Like chugging a gallon of coffee lol. Noopept is another racetam but not as stimulating but great for information absorption. I find im able to recall what I learned while on it more effectively than when not using it. its super subtle and but you'll recall the finer details  of things, which can be useful when your focusing on retaining specifics. 

FWIW - I recently got some sulbutiamine for the first time in about 8 years just to try it out again since I remembered it having a positive impact on my reading and memory during professional school. 

Long story short - I can’t take this stuff ?

I forgot how bad it makes my pee smell AND - on top of that - I get this intractable bitter vitamin taste in my mouth and I can’t make it go away for hours and hours. 

Has anyone else experienced this? 

The only thing that ever made my pee smell worse was Adrafinil. Makes your pee smell like industrial solvent ??

The concept of irreversible brain damage has always terrified me the most in health.

There really needs to be more research on drugs like modafinil tbh. I don't know if it's a mega miracle or the new cigarette

Psychopharmacology is such an interesting field, but I do not really have the ability to read academic studies like that, would take me hours.

TBF, this article looks particularly intriguing ... I'm gonna have to try & read it. Too many big words but I get the gist is that no one really knows anything. I feel like anecdotal is the best evidence.