Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheOneReborn

A new religion for the 21st century?

10 posts in this topic

We went from polytheism, to monotheism, to atheism as the prevailing belief of global power systems. 

I think the next logical stage for religious thought to take is for religion to recognize that God is as real as the ego is unreal. Less ego = more God conciousness. More ego = less God conciousness. 

I truly believe that a new religion is the only way that modern man can find reconcile our enhanced capabilities since the last major change in religious thinking, with out desire for a connection to God. 

Do you think we will see a serious new religion in  the next 200 years that will catch on? I can see new age beliefs in the west coalescing into something more serious and standardized. I think this would generally be a good thing. 

It's pretty much impossible to predict what will happen, but history is full of different religions, so its possible for new ones to form, or for new sects to be formed and take on popularity.

I don't think a connection to God will ever change though or that any valuable religion will change that core aspects of God since it is a common theme, for example, that God is Love, in all major religions regardless of geography. 

I don't really see New Age taking off because its not grounded in any tradition or person. A lot of the practices like tarot reading or seeing numbers are awful too in terms of providing practical Truth or value. 

Edit: @PurpleTree I do wonder how psychedelics will move forward in the future given their being discussed in a scientific way in the present time!

Edited by SgtPepper

i think it would be interesting

building psychedelic temples and all

a new renaissance 

The religion of the future is “animism” which was the religion of our ancestors.  Monotheism is a relatively new invention, which is killing the planet.   The monotheists were given dominion over the earth by a God in a dualistic framework, and the earth is viewed as “resources” to be exploited and consumed.  Science and technology are the updated version of monotheism.   Our ancestors saw the earth as living.  The plants were living spirits.  The animals were our brothers.   The rocks, plants, and animals were respected and shared, without exploitation.   We are part of nature.  If we don’t return to the old beliefs, our civilization will end.     

Vincit omnia Veritas.

3 hours ago, TheOneReborn said:

We went from polytheism, to monotheism, to atheism

Actually we didn't. A huge global population is religious. And don't forget that sometimes atheism can itself become a religion. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

I would guess that contemplative spirituality is the future (and the present, given the popularity of meditation and mindfulness). But to be more than shallow, contemplative spirituality requires a structured container. That's why the traditional religions are not going anywhere; they are simply being upgraded.

Money and science are the most successful religions out there which birthed technology which is also a form of religion.

Ideology is the new religion. People are dogmatic about their world views: a popular new one with young people is the planet is doomed, society is evil and we should all go to war with people we deem evil.

Personally I think philosophy is more important than "religion", you can follow the lessons and teachings of any religion and gain more insight than tying yourself down to worshiping figures. A more universal concept of god allows you to dip and out of religions, see their value without judging them as "right or wrong."