Holygrail

is 20 minutes of kriya yoga a day enough?

30 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Stop confusing newbies with absurdities.

It hurts that you say that. I was telling the truth.

@Holygrail If you are starting a Kriya practice 20minutes is OK, but later when you get the hang of it learn new exercises.

My sessions last up to 50minutes, and it's almost the most basic stuff in Kriya that I do.

Mahadev

1 hour ago, Pete- said:

2 hours! Doenst sound like a quick method. 

Every solid meditation method I know has 2 hours requirement. To do Vipassana they encourage you to go on a 10-day retreat and then practice 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the evening between the retreats, and they advise at least 1 retreat a year, ideally 4 or something, so yeah, meditation takes up time.

1 hour ago, Pete- said:

Don't do kriya. Kriya only pulls some energy up. Not so good for really head orientated people.

Does this have anything to do with reality, have you practiced Kriya Yoga, have you talked with any kriya teacher who told you what is good for which people from their experience? Or is it just pure gossip.

Edited by Girzo

2 minutes ago, Pete- said:

Yes been there , done that.

From what teacher? Or books

Edited by Girzo

6 hours ago, Pete- said:

Don't do kriya. Kriya only pulls some energy up. Not so good for really head orientated people. With good chi kung you use the whole body. Dont forget to tap the bones and energetically clean them. You also get more grounded. Refine the energy through the whole body. When your energy is to the max it will flow over the head and open the crown palace.

By using the whole body you will get that maximum of power to launch the spiritual body.

Just do 10.000 times enlightenment chi kung/primordial chi kung. (very simple form) . Look out its powerfull , don't do it to much.

Its so simple it baffles the mind.

@Pete- Where can I learn more about that?

4 hours ago, Girzo said:

Every solid meditation method I know has 2 hours requirement. To do Vipassana they encourage you to go on a 10-day retreat and then practice 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the evening between the retreats, and they advise at least 1 retreat a year, ideally 4 or something, so yeah, meditation takes up time.

Sounds like realistic expectations to me.

"The journey never ends, the point of arrival is always now." 

@Pete- Weirdly cool video. Hits some core ideas right. Has little to do with Kriya Yoga originating from Lahiri Mahasaya, though.

I am also pro-movement, I like Hatha Yoga the most, but I would refrain from comparing 2 hours of Lahiri's Kriya with 15 minutes of gi gong because it's not what you imagine it to be.

If I remember correctly, the techniques of Kriya Yoga are a means to an end to eventually not rely on any technique anymore, and to go straight to the Parvastha 'beingness state'.

I initially started with 5 minutes and eventually ramped it up to 90 minutes. As I became more familiar with the utilization of the breath, instant Parvastha access was second nature.

BUT, the longer I did the Kriya Yoga techniques (or if at all), the deeper the Parvastha became. I guess that's the whole point of the techniques - to sink deeper into your own being.

7 minutes ago, Pete- said:

Kriya yoga is just bringing energy to the head, essentially isnt it? With a lot of stuff around it.

Yes, it is. It is basically pranayama and some pranayamas with bandhas and mudras in more advanced techniques. But the guidelines tell you to practice it in a specific way to get specific results. And as said above by @EmptyVase, the accent is put on achieving a meditative state called Parvastha and abiding in it.

@Holygrail I asked this question last year on the kriya-yoga forum after buying the book. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/kriyayoga/comments/mju8b7/how_long_to_practice_kriya_yoga_a_day/

I mixed it with 1h mindfulness meditation, so doing 1h 20 a day I lasted max 6 weeks. I learned a lot conceptually, yet it was not really suited for my current life style and I saw that I need to dedicate 3h at the end to be very serious with it. I just skimmed my notes in the book I did it for approx 6 weeks. After realizing I have to do it for 3h a day I thought this is unsustainable for my current life style. 2h is doable when I see what Leo wrote and skimming the book again. I might have skimmed to the wrong part. Yet 2h is definitely smth. feasable. 

I noticed after mixing the practices that the breathwork is quite good to incoperate, yet I was advised from advanced teacher to not fuck around with breathwork to much if there is no guidance or teacher. So, I mainly stick to meditation. Definitely felt better than doing regular meditation even if just 20 minutes. Although it was quite intense learning the stuff conceptually and pratically. 

20 minutes is not good in my experience. It was interesting, yet not good for the long-haul. This is as much feedback as I can give.