Judy2

I. Can't. Meditate.?

182 posts in this topic

I've tried. A hundred times. Three hundred times. Sevenhundred times. Nothing changes. I always start by making the commitment to "just observe my thoughts", but after a few seconds I'm lost in thought again. Or I'll try to turn my gaze inwards to detect any position i am still identified with, to then see that that itself is something that is seen, disidentify and go one level meta (that's the theory). But after a few minutes, if not less, i stop. Because it seems so hopeless.

It doesn't work. It's really frustrating and even though i try every day, there's no progress whatsoever. The lack of success is absolutely discouraging and i wonder if i'll ever get past where I'm at right now. It's literally been years without any siginificant progress.

So, what can i do?

It might be helpful to have more tangible goals, some frame i can hold onto. Something that makes it seem more manageable. I don't know what that would be though... i don't know how to navigate through this chaos.

Any advice? I'll take anything, really.

Dont do anything. Just go lie on the bed. Listen to something you really like, that puts you in a meditative state.
And just be. Dont fall asleep, just be. Let go of whatever you think is "you".

Edited by Vincent S

“Life is just a break from an Infinite Orgasm. Prolong your break for as long as you want. Ride that wave. But don’t forget where you're headed.”

@Salvijus I am already anticipating Nahm's reply pointing out all the delusion in my post above:)

But there must be a way, right??

Edited by Judy2

@Vincent S i either think(a lot) or i fall asleep. And i can't let go of myself...

I'll check out the video though

1 minute ago, Judy2 said:

@Vincent S i either think(a lot) or i fall asleep. And i can't let go of myself...

I'll check out the video though

Who is it that thinks a lot? Who cant let go of who? These are just thoughts. As @Nahm would say.

“Life is just a break from an Infinite Orgasm. Prolong your break for as long as you want. Ride that wave. But don’t forget where you're headed.”

There's no such thing as bad meditation. Even if u get lost in thoughts for 15 mins, and then you notice it, you call it success.   After some time, you will notice your distraction more, but don't be so harsh on yourself. 

Try meditation with an app, it might help at the beginning, it will remind you sooner, for example "headspace".

Watch Leo vid and try this out : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quiontVtJ5U&t=1257s&ab_channel=Actualized.org

Edited by Forza21

Good friend of mine used to say: Whatever comes to "your" mind: Imagine standing at a river that is flowing with water.
Whatever that doesnt feel good or is a thought. Put that on a leaf and let it flow with the stream of the river.

have you read Eckhart Tolle?

that's what helped me get into it, although i don't meditate that often

@Vincent S Yes. But to the me that isn't really there it seems like I'm there, so during meditation the i that isn't there ought to look for itself to find out that it isn't even looking for itself?...because it's not there, you know.

So of course I'm already not there but it still appears that way...which is why it has to be questioned to find out that it's not actually there, right?

@Judy2 I would suggest you reconsider your perception, of what it means to meditate. Here's some ideas and suggestions:

1. Don't make meditation about thoughts, or the lack of thoughts

2. With eyes closed, focus on sensation or sounds. With eyes open focus on an object, a lit candle is a good way to go, or sit in nature and simply look at a tree.

3. In doing number 2, and during your practice of continually returning back to focusing your attention, on an object, sounds, or sensation, you are creating the habit of being present, and the more present you become, the more you'll uproot.

4. Sound the vowel O for 1 minute, then do one minute of focused attention on suggestions in #2, repeat, repeat, repeat. Don't worry about a specific set time, just feel it out.

5. A crazy busy mind, is a sign of internalized suppressed energy/emotion and so to sit and attempt to be calm, focused, or present, this is opposite of what you should be doing. Go for a run, hike a hill, dance, and then when you've moved some energy, sit and rest, and practice suggestions from #2

6. Make sure to deal with any mommy or daddy issues, uproot, expose, and release, and in turn you'll be more at peace, and in turn you'll go exponentially deeper with your meditation

Any questions? 

Edited by Johnny Galt

My 2 pennies. Reframe and change your goal to creating a consistent meditation habit or practice (just doing it everyday) instead of trying to "successfully meditate" regardless of how you define the goal of meditation. Dont worry about the goal. Pushing through the frustration when you try and fail is the biggest obstacle when you're trying to develop a habit. And i think pushing through that frustration should be the purpose itself by the sounds of it. You're going to have a hard time with meditation regardless of what you're trying to do with it until a consistent habit is formed. 

Meditation is mostly ineffective unless you do it at a hardcore scale. In other words, book a cabin in the woods and force yourself to meditation for 10 days straight. Then you will see some progress and results. Although of course as soon as you return back to the "real world" you will lose most of those results.

This is why people meditate for decades and never awaken. It's highly inefficient. For it be effective you must do it very strictly and for long periods of uninterrupted time. Some people who simply have higher baseline consciousness can benefit from mediation rapidly, but this is the exception not the norm.

You can meditate every day for 40 years and never realize you are God. In fact I would bet on this for most people. This is the reality which explains why most of the world is asleep. And this is what most meditation teachers won't tell you.

God-realization is beyond anything a normal human can meditate her way to. An enormous amount of time can be wasted doing meditation in this weak-sauce way.

You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

Do a different technique :)

I've spent hundreds of hours meditating and got barely any results. Meditation for sure isn't for everyone. 

If I don't feel results in relatively short time frame, then i don't bother with the technique.

@Johnny Galt That seemes helpful, thank you. I do cry a lot when i try to meditate, so it's not like I'm actively suppressing my emotions. Actually i love it when it gets intense and on some level it's lovely to be angry or sad or hopeless or whatever it is that comes up.

@Leo Gura Is there benefit to having a daily meditation practice even if it doesn't take you to the highest states of consciousness?

@Judy2 What different types of meditation techniques have you tried to implement? Not all work equally well for everybody.

1 minute ago, Yali said:

@Leo Gura Is there benefit to having a daily meditation practice even if it doesn't take you to the highest states of consciousness?

Maybe. Depends on what you'd do with that time otherwise and how effectively you meditate.

If you're just sitting there daydreaming and calling that meditation then it's mostly a waste of time. I suggest you meditate very strictly or don't meditate at all.

You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

@AsEyeAm The habit is already there, but it always ends the same way with me daydreaming or worrying.

@Leo Gura We spend most of our day in thought. 30 minutes of focused meditation should still provide benefits even if it doesn't take you to crazy states.

Edited by Yali