axiom

Could you burn yourself alive?

48 posts in this topic

Having sat in completely motionless meditation, 10 hours a day, for weeks on end, the realisation struck that any amount of pain can be transcended. All emotional pain and all physical pain is only within the imagined body and its conditioning. This is not merely a "trick" as some have suggested here, but is really just recognition of truth. 

There is footage out there of monks who have burned themselves alive as they sit motionless. I'm not advocating for anything here obviously. But when it is noticed that the body is just an idea, even such an extreme act is seen with complete calmness and peace.

Could you do it? 

Apparently.

I hate to be that guy, but it's quite possible they could be on an extreme opioid overdose in conjunction with meditation, with the self-immolation. I'm a firefighter, the damage/pain fire and chemical burns can inflict on a person is..... unsavory to say the least. It's hard to imagine a state where someone could transcend or detach from that, but I am open minded.

I'd like to believe there is something more going on there.

hrhrhtewgfegege

Why would I want to do that though? Seems kinda dumb and achieves absolutely nothing. Apart from you becoming a crisp.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

2 minutes ago, vizual said:

Why would I want to do that though? Seems kinda dumb and achieves absolutely nothing. Apart from you becoming a crisp.

I'm not asking whether you'd like to do it. I assume most people here wouldn't actually like to do this - unless they want to pay some sort of masochistic homage to Pringles :)

My question is about whether you think you could do this and remain non-identified with the body throughout the experience?

Apparently.

People really get triggered around this topic for some reason lol.

Anyhow, I think it's possible to have that level of trancendence. After all awareness is beyond death and suffering. That implies the worst pain in the universe also. Buddha wasn't joking when he was taching trancendence of suffering imo.

Edited by Salvijus

Everyone could burn themselves, by mistake. It's incredible that doesn't happen often.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

I wonder if spontaneous human combustion is a real thing or just an urban legend

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

2 hours ago, axiom said:

I'm not asking whether you'd like to do it. I assume most people here wouldn't actually like to do this - unless they want to pay some sort of masochistic homage to Pringles :)

My question is about whether you think you could do this and remain non-identified with the body throughout the experience?

If you truly had no more attachment to your human existence or finite self...you would stop imagining all of it and the dream would go poof.  The fact that you are still imagining that you could transcend it throughout the experience means you would have to still be attached in which case it wouldn't be possible.  Its only possible if you transcended any attachment in which case everything within this dream would instantly cease to exist forever.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

1 hour ago, Salvijus said:

Anyhow, I think it's possible to have that level of trancendence. After all awareness is beyond death and suffering. That implies the worst pain in the universe also. Buddha wasn't joking when he was taching trancendence of suffering imo.

If you have the level of transcendence to burn yourself alive with no pain? What is stopping you from having the level of transcendence necessary to solve your issues without needing to burn yourself alie?

@axiom

(Also no advocation for this act here)

When “it’s” all seen through, there is only love-bliss, and not even. 

There is no ‘you’ which could be burned alive, have levels of anything, or remain un-identified. 

But of course, thought…

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

17 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@axiom

(Also no advocation for this act here)

When “it’s” all seen through, there is only love-bliss, and not even. 

There is no ‘you’ which could be burned alive, have levels of anything, or remain un-identified. 

But of course, thought…

Yes... I wonder if there was a struggle to remain disassociated as they burned. In at least one video I recall the monk appeared to be perfectly non-reactive.

Apparently.

I've done enough strong determination sitting and had enough results with the practice to see where it leads long term, and under extreme training. I believe it is entirely possible for the human mind to uproot the aversion to pain, but the amount of practice required to achieve this is so incomprehensible, I'm not confident one could do it in a single lifetime unless they completely devoted themselves to the path of liberation. 

2 hours ago, axiom said:

Could you do it? 

I can't even jump into a pool that is slightly colder than room temperature xD

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

nah

i went to wax my chest once at the beach and already that was too much for me, much worse than tattooing, i prevailed though

11 minutes ago, axiom said:

Yes... I wonder if there was a struggle to remain disassociated as they burned. In at least one video I recall the monk appeared to be perfectly non-reactive.

There isn’t that separate self, “one” who is or could be disassociated, or even who burns, or who is reacting or reactive. 

https://www.actualityofbeing.com/contemplations-1

Even Squarespace so to speak, adds that ever so subtle “-1” ha! 

@PurpleTree

”Ahhhhhh Kelly Clarkkksstooon!’”

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Nahm At the relative level there is a sense of self and a sense of burning. God can convince itself it is the body.

Apparently.

The book of Not Knowing by Peter Ralston describes him getting his tooth drilled without any medication, claiming there was no pain at all.

4 hours ago, Roy said:

I hate to be that guy, but it's quite possible they could be on an extreme opioid overdose in conjunction with meditation, with the self-immolation. I'm a firefighter, the damage/pain fire and chemical burns can inflict on a person is..... unsavory to say the least. It's hard to imagine a state where someone could transcend or detach from that, but I am open minded.

I'd like to believe there is something more going on there.

Thanks for the job you do. I knew a firefighter captain (or was applying to be a captain?), he was the dad of some good friends of mine. Really wonderful and friendly guy. Always remember him doing "emergency driving" in his people carrier for us when we were young.

Anyway, back on topic it should be possible. Theoretically it IS just a reaction of the mind. If someone could turn off senses like hearing or seeing etc, they should be able to turn off feeling too.

4 hours ago, Salvijus said:

Because there is just something off about it. It almost has a sinister vibe to it 

Does this look god-like to you? 

832787_Wallpaper2.jpg

Edited by Jakuchu