Leo Gura

Following Users Banned

104 posts in this topic

Taking down the video sounds like the right decision.  I don't know why some people couldn't respect it.  If it spreads, it's the same as leaving it up.  Clearly, there is some percentage of people, even if a small one, that can't handle that kind of material.  This entails serious consequences. There is also such a thing as "need to know" in my personal opinion.  Most seekers need to focus on the basics to get their lives in order.  

It is a hard knock life for the members who thought they were smart.

Edited by StarStruck

In Tate we trust

6 hours ago, Hello from Russia said:

Yeah, Leo should sell the forum for sure

Good rename would be coatforyour2ndate.com which would serve 50% as a pickup forum and 50% as a coat shop

Basically keep the dating section and remove everything else

That is not funny:ph34r:

In Tate we trust

The forum should teach non-attachment.

One good idea would be a maximum period of time that any single user can spend here. 12 months max for example.

The forum itself should have a clock somewhere counting down to the day it gets deleted, i.e. two years from today.

This would be a good exercise in non-attachment for everyone.

Apparently.

19 minutes ago, Medhansh said:

Yes, it is sad indeed.

The one man who was straightforward and blunt, not scared to lay out the raw truth in front of us as it is, is holding back now.

The thing is, he has already offered everything you need to know to have a much better life.  Unless you have already implemented all the basics you have no business complaining about some one video he has pulled.  And I guarantee that many here people have not implemented all the basics, and some haven't implemented shit.

2 hours ago, AuroraDream said:

bruh,

have you heard of snowden?  he exposed that they dont just monitor for terroism and security.... its a clear violation

That is why I am very careful not to read PMs unless my hand is forced, and no Mods are allowed to read them.

Obviously it is a power ripe for abuse. It is like the ring from Lord Of The Rings, and I am Frodo putting it on once in a while as it turns me evil. I do not want the ring, but I have it in my pocket to protect the kingdom.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

It’s kind of silly to PM on someone else’s forum without the assumption someone else is reading it. Move offline if you want a highly sensitive convo 

7 hours ago, Something Funny said:

@Thought Art  yes. But as far as I can remember he didn't say anything about PMs. He said it in the context of people starting threads asking for the video, which at least I personally interpreted as forbidding to share it publicly. Which makes sense, because sharing it publicly has a totally different impact vs sending it privately to one person who asked for it.

He said sharing in general. I’ve read the forum guidelines so I assumed he’d be looking at pms 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

9 hours ago, soos_mite_ah said:

wait.. @Leo Gura so you can see everyone's pm's?

@Leo Gura

I think this is the reason why it should be made much more clear that there is no privacy on this forum. The fact that Leo can read everyone's PM's goes against the expectations of pretty much everyone who uses the internet and other forums.

Sure it is written in the Guidelines, but I think it is the responsibility of the owner of the website that this is made clear, and knowing that many people choose not to read guidelines just causes unnecessary harm and violations of privacy. For the same reason that you can't just sneak into your TOS some sort of absurd clause that says using this website costs 1000€ and then sueing people for not having paid it. A similar thing happened to me as am kid and it turned out it was illegal to do that.

Aside from the law and whether this is some sort of breach, morally speaking I think it should be obvious that in such a situation it is on the owner of the website to ensure that everyone using it will be informed by this. Much like websites like Facebook should be informing Users how their information is being used and not just sneak it into the TOS.

I was also surprised by the fact that Leo could read PMs, so were many others, that alone should tell you that you are doing a really bad job at informing people, independent of the expectations you put upon them. You should want them to be informed and make it your responsibility, precisely because you are the more conscious one and you are aware that there will be completely unnecessary negative consequences by you not doing so.

And I remember that I read the Guidelines when I registered.

Edited by Scholar

Glory to Israel

I Think there will be videos in youtue in few days criticising leo reading pm ?

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

36 minutes ago, Scholar said:

@Leo Gura

I think this is the reason why it should be made much more clear that there is no privacy on this forum. The fact that Leo can read everyone's PM's goes against the expectations of pretty much everyone who uses the internet and other forums.

Sure it is written in the Guidelines, but I think it is the responsibility of the owner of the website that this is made clear, and knowing that many people choose not to read guidelines just causes unnecessary harm and violations of privacy. For the same reason that you can't just sneak into your TOS some sort of absurd clause that says using this website costs 1000€ and then sueing people for not having paid it. A similar thing happened to me as am kid and it turned out it was illegal to do that.

Aside from the law and whether this is some sort of breach, morally speaking I think it should be obvious that in such a situation it is on the owner of the website to ensure that everyone using it will be informed by this. Much like websites like Facebook should be informing Users how their information is being used and not just sneak it into the TOS.

I was also surprised by the fact that Leo could read PMs, so were many others, that alone should tell you that you are doing a really bad job at informing people, independent of the expectations you put upon them. You should want them to be informed and make it your responsibility, precisely because you are the more conscious one and you are aware that there will be completely unnecessary negative consequences by you not doing so.

And I remember that I read the Guidelines when I registered.

It has been written from day one that PMs are moderated. Underlined even.

I am not here to babysit you.

You are here as a guest in my house, using my time. If you don't respect that I will shut it all down. I am not Facebook and I'm not here to build you a spiritual social platform.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

19 minutes ago, Scholar said:

Does he really need to make that explicit, are people really not aware of that possibility? He is the owner and creator of the website, like any other administrator he is going to have full access to all the data. Just like Facebook, Reddit, or text providers, they will be able to look into anything they want to. It's not like there is some magical barrier they can set up for themselves not to be able to see private messages.

Like if a crime was committed, how do they think police are able to gather evidence? I'd be amazed if it's that common expectation that people have of things being hidden. That's quite naïve.

hrhrhtewgfegege

28 minutes ago, Something Funny said:

@Thought Art ok, I guess it is my fault for not reading forum guidelines and Leo's messages more carefully. Although I still think he could have pinned a post somewhere about it.

But I still feel guilty because one of those people basically got banned for being kind enough to share Leo's video with me after I asked him.

Honestly, it’s unfortunate. But, don’t take responsibility for other peoples actions. 9 people sent me messages asking for the video. You weren’t the only one. People feel needy and entitled but let this be a lesson to respect the others peoples wishes surrounding their work.

◭"89"

7 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

It has been written from day one that PMs are moderated. Underlined even.

I am not here to babysit you.

You are here as a guest in my house, using my time. If you don't respect that I will shut it all down. I am not Facebook and I'm not here to build you a spiritual social platform.

I think your attitude is unhealthy.

5 minutes ago, Roy said:

Does he really need to make that explicit, are people really not aware of that possibility?

Clearly they are not. The issue is that it wouldn't be difficult whatsoever to ensure that everyone is informed, by simply having that warning as part of the PM system itself so even people who don't read the guidelines are aware. The issue is that Leo expects things from people that they will not do, and he is too stubborn and incompassionate to ensure the safety of everyone. There is a reason why we made wearing a belt in a car required by law.

He has a very typical self-help attitude and it's toxic imo.

Edited by Scholar

Glory to Israel

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Just as an FYI, I take efforts to not read your PMs as much as possible. I believe PMs should be kept as private as possible. I try to only skim through PMs if a serious undermining of the community is afoot.

Mods do not have the ability to read PMs to prevent abuse.

"As private as possible"

Read that statement out loud with a straight face.

Imagine the government installing cameras in everyone's homes; "but we will only look at the footage if we think it's necessary". Yeah, that's grade A bullshit.

It's your forum, you can do as you like. But don't call a potato a cherry when it's clearly a potato

Edited by vizual

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

You coooould however, set up an automated PM to everyone newly on the forum, informing them of that privacy limitation!

@Scholar No, the problem is people aren’t taking responsibility for themselves and blaming Leo who is literally providing a service to leagues of ungrateful people. 

when you first come in the forum the first thing I see is the top posted thread telling you to read the rules and guidelines. 

If YOU aren’t taking responsibility and saying it’s Leo’s job to clean your behind you are unfortunately being self entitled, ungrateful and not taking responsibility.

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

1 minute ago, Thought Art said:

@Scholar No, the problem is people aren’t taking responsibility for themselves and blaming Leo who is literally providing a service to leagues of ungrateful people. 

when you first come in the forum the first thing I see is the top posted thread telling you to read the rules and guidelines. 

Here is the difference between me and Leo for example:

Me:

"Everyone should read the guidelines but I know that many people won't, which is an issue because this means many people will be uninformed about the fact that there is no privacy on this website even though the expectation will be that there is. Because I think breaching privacy is a serious thing, I think I should find a way so that ensures that atleast people know about this one particular thing because of how important it is, after all I don't want people to think they have privacy on here, because even if they don't read the guidelines for whatever reason (which I know most people won't because that's just how the internet works, and I have no way of screening these people out anyways) their privacy is still important to me. Therefore, I will create a system that ensures that whenever someone sends a message, they are informed that it is not private. This way I have reduced harm, because after all, there is no free will, there is no such thing as people being ignorant, there is only reality taking place and therefore all I can do is use my compassion for the most loving outcome."

Leo:

"It's not my fault that they don't read the guidelines lol, fuck these idiots if they choose not to do it it's they fault their privacy gets breached. I'm not willing to do anything, they deserve it if they are this stupid."

Glory to Israel