Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ZZZZ

Considering medication for anxiety

9 posts in this topic

So I've recently started a high-stress career that I've been training for years to begin. I generally handle high stress situations well, and I never would've considered myself an anxious person, but I'm now realizing the effect that anxiety is having on my overall wellbeing. It's not necessarily affecting my work performance, but I am taking work home with me (mentally) when I have any sort of uncertainty or negative outcomes on the job. Coworkers are also occasionally describing me as anxious (which is the first time in my life), and my interactions with others are also being negatively impacted by my demeanor when I start to get overwhelmed.

That being said, I've had several significant people in my life who have changed their lives for the better by starting anti-anxiety medications, and they've recently suggested that I try the same. I would also consider their anxiety levels to be much higher than mine, with panic attacks being one of the major symptoms that I tend not to battle with. I personally do not take any medications right now, and I know the benefits that a good diet, meditation, exercise, etc. can have on mental health. If I'm being honest, my meditation practice has been the only area where I really feel like I've been lacking lately...

I tried to start ashwaganda to see if I would get any benefits from that, but I would describe the effects as mild-placebo at best. I guess I'm just looking for a different perspective on the situation, and would like to hear what others in this community think about the situation. Something tells me doubling or tripling my meditation time (from a measly 10 minutes a day) with higher consistency would really help, but at the same time, the physical effects of my anxiety haven't been very fun to deal with either. I'm of the opinion that I just need to be a bit more disciplined with my mental health, but I've also been a bit in denial about the whole thing for a while too, so I'm not really sure what to think.

I can rely on some aspects.

I also deal with internal and external elements in my life that need to be managed/changed for better health.

I know and use many therapeutical methods (talk therapy, breathwork, yoga, meditation)  to compensate for that. But if the stress hits a certain point and becomes too much, I think that medication may be useful. I resisted medication A LOT and tried to meditate my way out of depression. But was the medication that helped me consistently during certain periods.

If you are smart, medication will probably not have considerable downsides. Get the information about what you need, be aware to change the meds if necessary, and be serious about the treatment for the period that you and your doctor decided to apply it. 

Most important: find out in life what is aligned with your mental, physical and spiritual health and connect yourself to that more and more. 

If you don't have an environment in which you can connect, contribute and feel happy with other people, I highly recommend you to find it (church, temple, sports, art, hobbies). People talk about diet and meditation but really underestimate the psychological necessity of healthy and spontaneous relationships with other people. 

Imo anti anxiety medication is only worth It as an ocasional thing.

For long term solution I see It as a terrible mistake. 

@Hugo Oliveira Thanks for the perspective, I agree. I am definitely lacking that sense of community ever since my work environment has become more volatile and toxic. I've considered starting brazillian jiu jitsu recently, but I've been worried about how the physical strain would further throw off my routine and stress my body.

14 hours ago, ZZZZ said:

I've considered starting brazillian jiu jitsu

Great choice! Become one of those killers and come back to say if some anxiety can still bother you. :D

Best bro! 

Uncertainty is a gift. It’s literally the present. Think it through; certainly would spoil fun and excitement. Notice those who know, and the dullness, the striving to appreciate, the struggle to except the gift.

Thus there are no negative outcomes. There is what you don’t prefer and what you do prefer, and you are the creator, and the discord of judgment is felt therein. When what is wanted is manifest, judgment is then a projection of doubt, and the resolve is the recognition that when one doubts, one inevitably feels disappointment in thinking it so. 

If a career is defined as high stress, said career is inherently defined as unwanted. But “career”, is not perception. It is the very interpretation, “high stress“, which is felt.  The justification, the cover-up of that is a discordant interpretation; “is anxiety“. 

And just like that, that one is the creator, that one has manifested what one desired… and the thrill and excitement of unending conscious creation, the experience of it “in the flesh“, and that which one wants more, a yet more profound inspiration to manifest, to simply be written on the dreamboard and looked forward to; is veiled.  

“There’s a big hard sun, beatin down on the big people, in a big hard world.” EmfV

“You can get it wrong and still you think that it’s all right.” ? ? ?

”but tell me… How does it feel?!… How does it feel to be on your own? With no direction home?! Like a complete unknown!! How does it feel?!!“  BD

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Nahm It's definitely a frame of mind and labeling issue at its core, which I understand when I am calm and unattached. However, in the moment, I get overwhelmed and buried so deep in my own mind that I cannot help but repeat the same thoughts and worries, further attaching myself to them, and robbing myself of the present moment.

But I will work on embracing uncertainty... Perhaps I just need to regularly remind myself of this until it becomes easier to maintain. 

@ZZZZ

Give Grounding a try. 5 minutes, maybe 3 - 5 times a day. It’s a very simple exercise but can make a profound difference. The intermittent practice does become the default / the connectivity is felt through the day. 

Also, ‘catch’ thoughts like ‘in my own mind’. It’s a ‘bridge’ thought in a way, contributing to the repeating / attaching. I understand what’s meant, but also notice you can’t really be in a thought… (my own mind). 

And for the worry… consider worrying as an emotion, vs, thoughts as worries. This opens up a different interpretation, recognizing worrying as an emotion as guidance regarding, the thoughts. Or, how some thoughts feel.  Though it might sound odd at first, express doubt on purpose. It’ll feel better than worrying. 

Certainty can’t be found in experience, only change. That is exciting imo. But certainty can be found within, where there is never change, and that is most comforting imo. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

What do you really enjoying doing? 

Are you currently consuming any caffeine? Another herb you can try in addition to ashwaganda is lemon balm. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost