Hardkill

Jordan Peterson supports psychedelics

57 posts in this topic

On 14.2.2022 at 9:02 AM, Leo Gura said:

This work is never just a matter of a mechanical technique, it is matter of intention and deconstruction.

Mechanically doing a technique is not consciousness.

This video of a monk kind of puzzled me. At around 2:50 he says that he has been a buddhist monk for about 17 years and then at 8:20 he further says that his goal is to reach enlightenment. He surely gained a good amount of wisdom but still has no idea what enlightenment is after 17 years, which proves your point 

Enlightenment is not about transcending greed or ending suffering, as he says. That's just a desirable side effect. Also greed is not bad if you take it into the existential. Freeing the mind of all delusion, as he further said, is the more correct encapsulation of what enlightenment is about 

It's realising that >you< are the Buddha 

Would saying "I am Buddha" in a buddhist temple be as offensive as saying "I am Allah" in a mosque?

Edited by Jakuchu

Assuming you mean the Kundalini Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan; what you have to understand about is that it's not really Kundalini Yoga. It's hatha yoga dressed in the garbs of Kundalini Yoga, singing Sikh mantras. It's wonderful for general wellbeing but not very good for growing spiritually. Besides, Hatha yoga seems to be more of a prepatory system anyways, something you do to prepare the body before you crank up the voltage with intense energy practices. Not to say it isnt possible to have mystical insight with it, it's just that you're better off doing kriya yoga.

True Kundalini Yoga is supposed to be an incredibly potent tantric (occult-based) practice that requires initiation and transmission. Where are you going to find people capable of such things? Not even Sadhguru is willing to do Kundalini Yoga because it's apparently too risky to do it with people who haven't had the necessary preperation.

17 minutes ago, Twentyfirst said:

JP had an awakening of being the witness of his thoughts but his ego misinterpreted it 

reality shattering stuff right there... 

On 2/14/2022 at 3:47 AM, Jakuchu said:

This video of a monk kind of puzzled me. At around 2:50 he says that he has been a buddhist monk for about 17 years and then at 8:20 he further says that his goal is to reach enlightenment. He surely gained a good amount of wisdom but still has no idea what enlightenment is after 17 years, which proves your point 

Enlightenment is not about transcending greed or ending suffering, as he says. That's just a desirable side effect. Also greed is not bad if you take it into the existential. Freeing the mind of all delusion, as he further said, is the more correct encapsulation of what enlightenment is about 

It's realising that >you< are the Buddha 

Would saying "I am Buddha" in a buddhist temple be as offensive as saying "I am Allah" in a mosque?

The Buddha said you are not a true disciple if you say I am enlightened or I am a Buddha as there is no I to be either of those things and both of those things are arbitrary appearances which in truth mean very little. 

Summarized from the Diamond Sutta. 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

9 minutes ago, BipolarGrowth said:

The Buddha said you are not a true disciple if you say I am enlightened or I am a Buddha 

That's not what I said 

@BipolarGrowth That was a joke and a correction

The joke: since I am Buddha, I didn't say that quote 

The correction: I said "I am Buddha", you said "I am >a< buddha" 

Edited by Jakuchu

3 hours ago, BipolarGrowth said:

@Jakuchu I see. The point is essentially the exact same thing whether you say a Buddha or Buddha/the Buddha

There’s no one to be a Buddha, the Buddha, or simply Buddha

No, it's not the same. "I am God" is not the same as "I am a god" 

That "no one" is Buddha 

Edited by Jakuchu

2 minutes ago, BipolarGrowth said:

@Jakuchu The point of there not being a you applies in both cases however

Self > no self 

Edited by Jakuchu

5 hours ago, Twentyfirst said:

JP had an awakening of being the witness of his thoughts but his ego misinterpreted it 

If we're talking about the same thing, I believe he discovered the voice of conscience, which is a powerful realization in its own right. It's the ability to distinguish between different qualities of thought rather than thought and no-thought.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

1 hour ago, Twentyfirst said:

I dont think we are talking about the same thing. he was being the witness of his thoughts but he was unsure if he was really the witness or the thoughts. this is the video where he explains his experience.

https://youtu.be/Z6F-jyrSBgg

That is the video I'm talking about. I made a comment under it 3 years ago.

1 hour ago, Twentyfirst said:

interesting...no I get what you mean now, he developed a filter to notice the weak dysfunctional thoughts and recognize the beneficial ones

You can call it a type of intuitive, meta-cognitive, post-rational or holistic ability. It might be why women tend to be a bit more conscientious, because they're also more intuitive, verbally complex and emotionally attuned. After all, language, symbolic thought, human social bonds and nurturing capacity mainly evolved around the mother-child relationship. The voice of conscience is often felt like your mother telling you what you should do.