Raphael

Synchronicity Vs. Confirmation Bias

13 posts in this topic

In the video below Christina define synchronicity as "A strategically placed sign from your higher self and the universe to help guide you in the material world.", she also adds that "Synchronicity happens when we don't expect them" and "A synchronicity have meaning to the person". At a moment she makes a distinction from the science perspective that see synchronicity as confirmation bias "The tendency for the brain to see what it is looking for.".

I'm currently in a phase of life where I experience what seems to be synchronicities almost everyday. This is a bit overwhelming and I hesitate to take actions on them but my intuition is telling me to take actions. I noticed that my intuition is often right and not following it in the past led me to difficult situations. I'm often afraid to follow my intuition.

What are your thoughts on synchronicities and confirmation bias? Do you operate more from a spiritual perspective here or science perspective or a combination of both?

Edited by Raphael

You need moderation and balance with everything. 

Paradoxes exist everywhere. Two conflicting theories coming together and you have to balance and juggle between two opposite yet related concepts. 

Much of life is all about striking a balance between different things. It's a dance. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@Raphael pls do note that Christina is mostly a hippie type teacher. she's so cheerful and her videos are nice to watch. but, her takes are not meant to be taken literally at all and needs further questioning.

i think   this synchronicity is a confirmation bias plus a manifestation of the subjective form of reality. this is what all new age types bring forth connoting meanings to numbers and so forth. If you believe so, it will be. and they will mean what you subconsciously want them to mean .they are not objective facts per se. LOA folks have massive teachings around these numbers and meanings and my guess is they mean nothing other than the meaning we attribute to it .

human mind is an ingenious apparatus. beware of its workings.

my mini-blog!

https://wp.me/PcmO4b-T 

lol im done reading this post and my time is 11:11. hilarious

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, 'This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful.' The moment you see it, the head stops running thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts running. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

Ever since I have been taking entheogen medicines, I have been having hard to explain synchronicities that occur before and after ceremonies.  I will give one example of what they are like.   One night, I went to see the movie “Gunda”.    It was a movie about a pig and gave a pig’s eye view of the life cycle on a farm.   When I was returning from the movie, I went to my mailbox and opened it to get the day’s mail.  In the mailbox was a giant envelope, and on the face of the envelope there was a picture of a pig.  The envelope wasn’t even addressed to me.  It was  put in my mailbox by mistake.  It was from some animal rights organization.   Nothing close to this has ever happened to me before or since and was the first time I have received someone else’s mail.  It’s hard to explain this by confirmation bias.  I have had other strange synchronicities which are hard to explain by coincidence or confirmation bias.  Our minds connect with the universe and we have the ability to become more sensitive to the connections.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/awards/story/2021-01-04/gunda-documentary-pig-farm-animal-rights

Vincit omnia Veritas.

Indeed something to ponder and contemplate about.

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

I think that there are two types and that they are hard to distinguish between.  One is caused by the universe giving you messages and the other is caused by seeing things that confirm what you already believe to be true even if they are not - and this does happen a lot because they both come in through the same way - but one way you can tell the difference is by how high of a vibe you were in - another is to journal because if you are having syncs, they will show up in patterns that you are 'not' looking for - that seemingly happen out of nowhere - and you can pick up on them later, like you might have recorded some syncronicities in your writing during a high vibe state that you find at a later date that isn't part of a confirmation bias story.

I have also had confirmation bias, and the difference is that cb leads to psychosis or is accompanied by it and the person's life doesn't get better, but worse - and they are acting like, kind of crazy.  A synchronicity will lead a person towards an awakening experience while cb leads - often - towards psychosis or at the very least a collection of falsely held beliefs that go nowhere.

Synchronicities are the result of being more aware of the present. They were always there, you just didn't notice.

I think its both as well,  but yeah it can be hard to distinguish between the two. 

Are the synchronicities you're seeing every day based around the same sort of things that you feel the universe is pointing you to one big decision that maybe you're afraid of acting on? or are they different? 

It happens to me sometimes when they are completely random and out of the blue to where I'm more inclined to believe it's an actual synchronicity rather than confirmation bias. But there was a time I was having a lot of them about the same thing, they had to do with a relationship I was really struggling with and at the time I dont think I really wanted to be in. So with that it could've just been me looking for excuses or justifications to get out. Who knows it could've been actual signs from the universe trying to point me in the path of not being with him or it could've been confirmation bias. So hard to tell! I'm with you though on having struggles following my intuition

@Raphael

Stop and be very careful.

I had many synchronicities at a certain time and it drove me mad, I even ended up entering someone's house that I knew only professionally at night without anyone's permission because of "intuition". From my perspective now, you are best dropping all of these words like magic, intuition, "signs", angels, etc. even god. I would stick to what you KNOW. Take care of your life man. But then again losing my mind seems to have drastically improved my chances of succeeding with personal development.. i don't know shit, good luck, DON'T look for signs, CONTEMPLATE instead. 

Your mind is the meaning-maker remember? You are telling yourself stories. BE. CAREFUL. 

I'm currently experiencing a lot of growth, everything is changing for me. I see it happening and this is a bit disorienting. Also, my entire life's emotional baggage started to come up to the surface a few months ago and in consequence, I have been experiencing strong emotions that always led to some healing so far.

Because of that, my state of consciousness varied a lot very quickly and I'm noticing things and opportunities that I wasn't noticing before. This is overwhelming sometimes. I noticed a lot of what seemed to be synchronicities or confirmation bias yet I preferred to stay careful and didn't take action on them immediately except in 2 - 3 cases.

A few months ago, I got more interested in learning how to learn and learning about how the brain works and neuroplasticity so I decided that I would take a course this year and also bought the book "How to Think Like Leonardo Davinci". After that, I noticed that some people on this forum are interested in learning how to learn and Leo wrote some things about Alpha waves, Beta waves, etc., and his brain training machine. This example looked a bit like a mix between confirmation bias and synchronicity.

Two weeks ago, I took the decision that I would live my life in a way that contributes to the development of the most sophisticated brain that I can develop by forcing myself to see things from different perspectives, trying to find paradoxes, be as neutral as possible, stay open to learn from positions that I dislike, trying to see the systems into place, etc. After taking this decision, one person that came to my mind was Daniel Schmartberger so I got curious about him and wanted to know more about his education and started a do some research to understand his path, and yesterday someone opened this thread... This one looked more like synchronicity.

What do you think about this?

1 hour ago, Raphael said:

Also, my entire life's emotional baggage started to come up to the surface a few months ago and in consequence, I have been experiencing strong emotions that always led to some healing so far.

1 hour ago, Raphael said:

I noticed a lot of what seemed to be synchronicities or confirmation bias yet I preferred to stay careful and didn't take action on them immediately except in 2 - 3 cases.

ignore my previous post lol. I didn't understand that I was experiencing strong emotions, i thought that something magical was happening to me and i at some point I consciously chose to go down a rabbit hole and threw out the concept of bias as anyone who goes down a rabbit hole does.