Natasha

Over the counter pain meds that work

17 posts in this topic

I started using Aleve for my back pain it it has given some relief. I'm also on a anti inflammatory diet. And meditate to have a better spiritual perspective on pain.

What other ways have you discovered to keep pain at bay?

Thanks for your feedback.FB_IMG_1642209399978~2.jpg

What is the cause of your back problems? Did you get a diagnosis?
Do you actively try to resolve this issue at the moment? 

Almost all back pain issues can be completely or at least partially reversed through the right form of exercise or physiotherapy. The pain management is mainly there to bridge this period, reduce suffering and give you some good nights of sleep.

Long term treatment with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Aleve could come with some serious negative side effects, so be mindful about this. For short term pain management, its completely fine though. Also, you should consider taking a low dose acid blocker during this treatment. 

Some alternatives are: (I will list the acting agents, since each country will have different names)
- Misoprostol + Diclofenac combo
- Ibuprofen (Stay below 1400mg/day - otherwise dont use it)
- (Acetaminophen) 
- Ointments if the cause is in the musculature

I really dont like herbal/plant based stuff when it comes to pain management - in my own experience, they just dont work as well as the usual drugs.

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

Some form of mild exercise may be helpful. Exercise can act as a natural analgesic to the body. It increases the concentration of endocannabinoids and there it increases an army of other useful molecules like dopamine, serotonin and norepinephrine which may have some mild pain-soothing effect not to mention major mood-boosting effects. 

Now of course you don't want to go and do deadlifts with an injured back but finding something that works well and does not cause too much pain might be a great idea. 

But in the long run if there is some sort of mechanical issue (e.g. herniated disc, or spinal damage) it should probably be corrected surgically 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@undeather Compression fractures in T6 and T12 and ruptured discs throughout lumbar section of the spine L4 through S 1. Paraspinous - normal.

@Michael569 Ive been doing core exercises  at home and try to stay active and mobile. My goal is to maintain quality of life  Still working. The doc is pushing for a surgery, but I won't be doing it. I've been doing some research online and it seems back problems , even severe ones resolve themselves with time. Yesterday pain got pretty bad, so I got Aleve, but this morning I woke up with messed up stomach and feeling like throwing up. I took probiotics and some pineapple. Going to eat some breakfast now. I did take Aleve with food yesterday

@Natasha

Are back strengthening exercises already in your core exercises? 

That might not be possible, idk, but I have multiple back / neck injuries and found I was strengthening just about everything but neglecting the back (and neck), which made the back worse. Switched that up many years ago and there hasn’t been any pain or noticeable issue at all. One size doesn’t fit all of course, just a consideration. ?? *That and the anti inflammatory (and no dairy) diet.

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Nahm I kind of do what works for me as far as exercises go. There would be 2-3ays of intense pain followed by 2-3 days of sympom free days. I found this chart online while researching how nerves heal and it has been a case witj me. It has to get worse before it gets better.

IMG_20220211_111026.png

2 hours ago, Natasha said:

@undeather Compression fractures in T6 and T12 and ruptured discs throughout lumbar section of the spine L4 through S 1. Paraspinous - normal.

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

@Michael569 Ive been doing core exercises  at home and try to stay active and mobile. My goal is to maintain quality of life  Still working. The doc is pushing for a surgery, but I won't be doing it. I've been doing some research online and it seems back problems , even severe ones resolve themselves with time. Yesterday pain got pretty bad, so I got Aleve, but this morning I woke up with messed up stomach and feeling like throwing up. I took probiotics and some pineapple. Going to eat some breakfast now. I did take Aleve with food yesterday

Waking up with a messed up stomach can already be a sign of a damaged gastric-mucosa.
PLEASE think about getting a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) for at least 2 weeks to prevent ulceration. No amount of taking it with food or probiotics will prevent this from happening if you are unlucky. 

Most back injuries will get better to the degree your core & back musculature is getting stronger. 
The best bet you have is getting to a physiotherapist who really knows what he is doing.
My knowledge about surgeries in that case is limited, therefore I wont say anything for or against it :)

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

@Medhansh @Nahm

1 minute ago, undeather said:

Waking up with a messed up stomach can already be a sign of a damaged gastric-mucosa.
PLEASE think about getting a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) for at least 2 weeks to prevent ulceration. No amount of taking it with food or probiotics will prevent this from happening if you are unlucky. 

Most back injuries will get better to the degree your core & back musculature is getting stronger. 
The best bet you have is getting to a physiotherapist who really knows what he is doing.
My knowledge about surgeries in that case is limited, therefore I wont say anything for or against it :)

What do use for those?

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

@Medhansh @Nahm

What do use for those?

Will regulate your stomach-acid production and minimize the chance of getting stomach ulcers during NSAID-therapy.
I do not advocate for a long term treatment with PPI's but they absolutely make sense short term. 
30 percent of patients treated with NSAIDs suffer from dyspepsia, which is also the most common reason for discontinuing the therapy. About 10 percent develop an ulcer, 1 percent ulcer complications.

Talk to your GP about this. 

Edited by undeather

- Rainer Maria Rilke

@Natasha

You know I love scales. ?

I’m still kind of wondering about specifically, back exercise. I’m deducing is might not be possible quite yet to to do isolated / back exercises quite yet.  The only other thing that comes to mind, is a dreamboard. There’s just something about looking forward to a lot of stuff to come that expedites healing. Can’t put a word on it really. Wishing you the best, sending healing vibes. ??  

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Nahm Thank you for the kind words. I envision complete healing in 1-2 yrs. In the meantime, working on mobility and range of motion. I don't do anything strenuous, can already get in and out of bathtub by myself, get dressed/undressed, in/out of bed. Just 3 mos ago couldn't do any of those by myself, so I'm moving in the right direction in baby steps. I have strong willpower and great self discipline and positive attitude of not giving up. 10 yrs ago I healed cancer without an oncologist just by researching and taking the right steps. I work on my victim mentality and. I see these trials as opportunity for growth. Thank you so much for your support and understanding :x

Trauma release exercises (TRE) by David Berceli may help.

Here's a link to a free, and professionally done course by a practioner: trecourse.com

Perhaps, regular messages may help too

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

@Ulax I had 2 massage therapy sessions and had a ton of pain the following night/day afterwords. Will look into the program in the link, thank you!

I'd look into Medical Medium's Cleanse to Heal if it resonates. I think so often back pain isn't just back pain, there can be all sorts of interconnected stuff going on. There's also reiki and yin yoga if you can do it safely. 

Also I've been told my doctors before that you can combine tylenol and ibuprofen if you need to, tylenol isn't ideal because of the liver and ibupfrofen because of the stomach so I think it helps to use both moderately rather than rely on one or the other.  There's also steroids shots if you are in a ton of pain and really need them. Also might look into TENS units, acupuncture mats, actual acupuncture, CBD oil, check into your shoes, check into the mattress you sleep on, etc. Have you tried swimming? It makes a big difference for me. Just throwing ideas out. Hope you feel better and some some relief soon. ❤

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@mandyjw Thank you for the suggestions :x Yes,have made mattress adjustments, comfy shoes, better chair with lumbar support at work, etc. My doc prescribed new pain meds Tramadol that has been working so far today and not messing up stomach. I was finally able to take a decent nap  and move around without pain yay. Hope it keeps working.