Ruth

Why doesn't anyone I know care about consciousness and reality?

38 posts in this topic

For as long as I can remember I've felt both curious about and incredibly perplexed by reality and consciousness. I used to ask my parents a lot of questions about life when I was very young and they said I would grow out of it. I'm now 24, I've been watching Leo's videos for about 6 years and I'm more curious than ever. Whenever I talk to anyone about it, they act like I'm insane and they say that it's never even crossed their mind and it's not worth thinking about. How can you possibly think about anything else? Do people really go through their whole lives never wondering what's actually going on? 

Haha, I was saying this exact same thing to my roommate a few months ago.  And I mean like exactly.  I’ve been pondering about this a lot lately, and the best I can figure(based on what I’ve heard many people say) is that people actively try to avoid these topics because deep down, they know that if they question reality and themselves too much, they’re ultimately going to find that the meaning they tacitly project onto their lives will collapse and they will become groundless.  

Have you noticed that most people seem to just kind of ghost through life like zombies, distracting themselves with activity after activity, project after project in a way to fabricate meaning in their life, almost like they are just trying to distract themselves from thinking too much?  I’ve literally heard people say things like “I don’t like being alone with nothing to do, because I start to think too much” as if that’s a bad thing.  Ultimately, I think people are afraid of falling into nihilism, and so they want to stay within the confines of their little fantasy world they’ve created for themselves the way Wanda literally did in Marvel’s “Wanda Vision”.  

I really do think that deep down the ego knows that it’s not real, and so in order to survive, it has to do everything in it’s power to distract you from seeking truth.  It knows that Truth is death. 

Edited by The Lucid Dreamer

@Ruth This is something I have also thought about often throughout my life. It's hard for me to understand how most people are not interested in this. I can't think of anything more fascinating. 

"Do people really go through their whole lives never wondering what's actually going on?"

Yes, most people seem content to be lost in the dream. There isn't anything wrong with that. They are just choosing a different experience. I imagine at some point everyone will get the urge to wake up. Consciousness is in a cycle of going deeply asleep and then awakening out of it.  

Edited by Matthew85

@Ruth I understand what you're saying, I feel the same way. But I guess God made it that way so it can enjoy this dream as much as possible. Knowing the Truth too soon would ruin the experience of being a human being.

1 hour ago, Ruth said:

Whenever I talk to anyone about it, they act like I'm insane and they say that it's never even crossed their mind and it's not worth thinking about. How can you possibly think about anything else?

Hahahahaha... :D

Do people really go through their whole lives never wondering what's actually going on? 

Yes! xD

Most people are like animals. Welcome to humanity.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

i know a few people who talk about such stuff but i don't see them very often

but i'd like to know much more people who are interested in that although eventually there doesn't seem much to talk about so it's fine

Questioning reality isn’t that useful.

Fame, sex, money, entertainment — these are more appealing pursuits for humanity as a whole.

Besides, survival demands pragmatism, not contemplation.

Revisiting deeply held assumptions is inefficient. The mind is pretty efficient. By default, it won’t waste time with already established “knowledge”, unless moved in that direction deliberately.

Edited by UnbornTao

59 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Do people really go through their whole lives never wondering what's actually going on? 

Yes! xD

Most people are like animals. Welcome to humanity.

Bro chill ???

Anyone who says they’re enlightened on this form in anyway is not, except me I am. 

30 minutes ago, The Lucid Dreamer said:

I mean, technically humans are animals. ;P 

Some more than others ;)

There are many people who contemplate existence seriously, but you don't see them often for various reasons. But "many" does not mean "most". Most people are busy playing out their community's stories and so they don't have, let alone dedicate, time for contemplation. But there are degrees to this interest. Some people can't get enough of contemplation. Others can't take in one or two thoughts. Most people are spread out across the spectrum.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

@The Lucid Dreamer @UnbornTao I suspected the reasons might be something like this. I think it does seem pretty scary or just irrelevant to some people. @Matthew85 @Tyler Durden I think what you say is an interesting way to look at it. There's nothing good or bad about it. Everyone is here to live a different experience of reality. 

@Leo Gura Sounds like you understand how I feel haha! 

45 minutes ago, Ruth said:

@Leo Gura Sounds like you understand how I feel haha! 

You described my entire life.

omg, that's exactly my thoughts! Yes, im in shock too, when i realize, most people care only about what to fuck, eat, and what car to buy. And of course all the celebrities drama and gossip about them. LIKE WHY? WHY ARE YOU HERE? WHO ARE YOU? WHAT'S THE MEANING OF LIFE?  "oh well, i don't know. Did you see Paris Hilton's new shoes though?"

lol.

But my question is, how to forgive those people, and how to talk with them without getting frustrated? How to have smalls talks basically? 

i always get annoyed, and unfortunately,  those are member of my family also, so i need to meet them someday...;)

Edited by Forza21

@Ruth YES they do, and I'm just as baffled by it as you are!!  For example most people I know are enthralled by sports and talk about it all the time and worry about their teams as if it were a life or death crisis.  When asked about the existential nature of reality they either blow it off or say it's "just the brain".

I feel the same. When I was 7 I thinking about death and comprehending the magnitude of being in heaven forever, terrifying myself about death and giving myself anxiety attacks. Realizing that the fact that me even being here and existing was profound and how amazing that was. 

While my peers were thinking about cars or something. 

Today I'm walking around zombies that put more thought into their Christmas lists than into their lives. NOBODY thinks about what they want, what is the good life, what's the best thing to do, etc etc etc. I have yet to meet someone in the flesh that has more clarity than me. 

I forgive my past, I release the future, and I honor how I feel in the present. 

@ZenSwift That's so funny I used to do the same thing when I was really little! My parents would say that after you die you go to heaven. But I always wanted to know where you would go after that. When I was told that I'd be there forever it scared me so much. I couldn't wrap my mind around the idea of infinity. My mum would just tell me not to think about it. Now I've realised that we're there already. There's no-where to go but here, for infinity. But it doesn't have to be scary - the mind finds infinity so intimidating. 

3 hours ago, Forza21 said:

omg, that's exactly my thoughts! Yes, im in shock too, when i realize, most people care only about what to fuck, eat, and what car to buy. And of course all the celebrities drama and gossip about them. LIKE WHY? WHY ARE YOU HERE? WHO ARE YOU? WHAT'S THE MEANING OF LIFE?  "oh well, i don't know. Did you see Paris Hilton's new shoes though?"

lol.

But my question is, how to forgive those people, and how to talk with them without getting frustrated? How to have smalls talks basically? 

i always get annoyed, and unfortunately,  those are member of my family also, so i need to meet them someday...;)

the world is utterly perfect, everyone doing their absolute best per their consciousness level, they don't need help nor change nor intervention

you are the only one messed up

the world is here to trigger you into awakening but you will need to go in and stop going out

Because that would be ugly.

A beautiful garden has variety and diversity.

How boring life would be if it was just a bunch of non dualists, we need crazy people, they keep things fun :x.