softlyblossoming

Self Inquiry Questions

47 posts in this topic

@softlyblossoming Yes. Ask every possible question you can. Some hit different than others 

“The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.” ― Meister Eckhart,

1 hour ago, Guru Fat Bastard said:

Btw, "direct experience" means, the direct knowledge of , and/or, the direct awareness of.  You dont have to go through a second medium such as the mind,body,senses etc.,

Now this is interesting, @Guru Fat Bastard. I've used the term so much, but never really wondered about what it precisely means. I've bookmarked this post because it feels like a really key piece of info, but totally the kinda thing I'd forget :x. Shortly after reading this, I realised (what I'm assuming is 'directly') that not much, if anything, can ultimately be said about my direct experience.

If you've the time, could you just share your thoughts on trying to 'feel' experience (feeling based inquiry), as opposed to wondering about experience (thinking/mind-based inquiry)? I'd love to know more about the pros/cons and differing results of each approach, or any other observations you've made between the two?

Cheers for replying to my thread, mate!

1 hour ago, VictorB02 said:

@softlyblossoming Yes. Ask every possible question you can. Some hit different than others 

Thanks, @VictorB02. If you don't mind, I'd love to hear all about your experiences with various forms of self inquiry. How did you practice it, what novel angles did you come at the inquiry from, and what the heck happened to ya as a result? Much love, my friend.

Btw, I'm not sure if you take requests, but if you could do a video on this I might just love you forever, hehe :$

1 hour ago, VictorB02 said:

Some hit different than others 

@VictorB02 I totally get what you mean (I think :P). It's like the longer I use a particular question, the vaster the gap between the feeling/vibe it gives me as compared to the other questions. To give an example, it's been like the longer I inquire into 'awareness', the more differentiated it becomes from inquiring into 'observer'. Have you had this experience too?

Another huge thing I've uncovered recently is the difference between openly wondering about (for example) the nature of awareness, and trying to (for lack of a better term) feel the thing itself that the word "awareness" points to. I came up with a little schema for the different ways we can inquire:

• Feeling the thing 'x' points to
  • Wondering about 'x' concept
  • Trying to understand 'x' with logical reasoning
  • Some, usually intuitive (if not straight up accidental), combination of the above

What would you change to my pet model? I won't be offended, Victor!

What does it feel like to just relax and be?  You don't have to think about anything in order to just be.
You don't have to try to be. Just be. It's a letting go of all effort and/or trying to be something. Instead of wondering what it feels like to be "awareness" or anything else that may seem "special" or different,just feel what it's like to just be.  One thing you'll notice is a great relaxation. Like a great weight has been lifted. Like "ahhh,finally, I don't have to do anything or think anything, or be anything. I can just be."
Relax deeper and deeper into the feeling of just being. Nothing else. If thoughts come, just come back to the feeling of just simply being. The mind always wants to do,do do, or wonder "how do I do it" ,or "am I doing right." Ignore all of that and just be.

Edited by Guru Fat Bastard

Similarly, what does it feel like to just be aware? Not "aware of " anything in particular, but Just the simple experience of being aware. You don't have to do anything, or be aware of anything in particular.

16 hours ago, Godishere said:

@VeganAwake @VeganAwake @Nahm so... If the individual/ego/self is completely unreal. What is it? What are the sensations, perceptions, thoughts, feelings of I? What is this I? Because for example, you can have a psychedelic trip and realise this illusory nature of the self. But then you come back to the sober state or "yourself" and they are now just thoughts/ideas and memories about what happened(occuring now). 

So what are the feelings and not the thoughts of being I? If I self inquire, and focus on feeling(sober state) my body is still here? The room is still here? Do I need to "still" the thoughts more, or is enlightenment or the dropping of the self something that just happens without any force or tentative effort? Must I completely drop the idea and concept of "seeking" altogether?

It's definitely confusing when multiple sources say different things on here in regards to what actual enlightenment IS and means. It seems more intuitive to me that you can't "know" what enlightenment is but Leo seems to think otherwise.

Yes there is a conditioned body with sensations, perceptions, thoughts, etc...but it's empty.

There isn't a real YOU in that body experiencing said phenomenon.

The experience of there being an experiencer is the completely unreal part.

The one who is trying to become enlightened is the illusion of self.

There already isn't a real separate individual to become enlightened in the first place.

There doesn't seem to be a cause or a way to have this realization.... although it does seem to be more common after years of desperate hardcore seeking but that could just be an incorrect projection.

❤ 

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

6 hours ago, softlyblossoming said:

I realised (what I'm assuming is 'directly') that not much, if anything, can ultimately be said about my direct experience.

Well, what is present, is not an object. It doesn't have any particular form,shape or qualities other than it is just there..it is always present and aware. It is that, and only  that, which is, and is always present and aware.
What is being referred to as "you" or "I" is not an object. It is never,and can never be, an objective experience,or an object of knowledge which the mind can know. The question "who or what am I" is only a tool, that removes all seeming objectivity or objective experience,from the only subject there is, and is referred to as "I" . "I" is not a self, a person, concept,idea or experience of the mind or body. It is the ground knowledge from which all other knowledge comes. The mind goes "blank" because it's ability to know anything is limited to only objective knowledge or knowledge that is gathered from outside. The "blank" is the end  of its knowledge and what it can know. It can't go any further. So,"I", is not a blank,it only shows that what is referred to as "I" is not in the mind, or, an object known by the mind.

Edited by Guru Fat Bastard