Lisa Ann

Conscription

7 posts in this topic

What are your opinions on conscription? Should it be maybe implemented elsewhere, in your country? In Finland it is mandatory for all men to serve in the army for 6, 9 or 12 months. I think it's good because it improves health and well-being and makes people socialize. And obviously you get to learn and do cool things you wouldn't be able to do anywhere else.

Edited by Lisa Ann
Changed of to or

if it's mandatory i think it should be for everyone, not just men.

i didn't go because i come from a leftie background/neighbourhood 

in hindsight i sometimes thought maybe could have learned "something"

my country is at peace anyway, no conflicts

Edited by PurpleTree

That’s the disadvantage of being in a country with a small population. There aren’t enough volunteers. 

"Wanting keeps me from the awareness I already have it. I already am it.” — Byron Katie

It would probably be great for a bunch of things like discipline and preparing young people for the professional world, but ultimately it I think it would be a waste of peoples time since if a war ever broke out that was significant enough to raise conscripts it would be a nuclear war which means we're all dead anyways (if you're lucky).

I think those taxes would be better spent on ecological restoration, infrastructure, and helping the least fortunate.

"Given enough explosives any moron can blow up a building, don't YOU wanna be that moron?"

4 hours ago, Roy said:

if a war ever broke out that was significant enough to raise conscripts it would be a nuclear war

Not really, in Finland conscripts would be used either way because it is reserve army

Not everyone is meant to do every job. Some people make terrible soldiers and going in the army does not only not help, it makes them worse.

Some people really benefit from going in the army or forces. You can't take one shoe and put it on everyone.

Plus people and their parents should be deciding where they are educated or trained and who they ultimately become.

Edited by BlueOak

It's a human rights violation and fucking sucks t. a finnish man

But many say there is no other way to secure Finland. And I think it's good that the soldiers are the people themselves, controlled by the people. It means that civil war and such internal violence is more unlikely.

Everyone is waiting for eternity but the Shaman asks: "how about today?"