The Problem With Acceptance

JJR
By JJR in Personal Development -- [Main],
After watching the latest video on controlling anger, I had to ask this question that's been in my mind for a while. The question is about acceptance vs. taking action. I understand that anger can be controlled by seeing things holistically and trying to understand why things are the way they are, but I don't see how acceptance is always the best option. For example, Leo suggests at the end of the video that if your partner cheats on you, you should try to understand why this happened and to dig deep until you reach acceptance. In this case, even if you chose to accept, the decision to also leave that partner might be an easy one. But what happens when you're faced with a situation where you must choose between action and acceptance? If you want to live an actualized life, you have to know when it's time to take responsibility and improve your situation. If your partner acts selfishly or breaks your trust, for example, there must be a tipping point where acceptance and understanding prevent you from experiencing a better relationship with more joy and happiness. How do you know when to accept things as they are and when it's time for a change?
  • 7 replies