How to be wise

Reduce your rice intake

20 posts in this topic

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

Already done.

Eat brown rice rather btw.

it depends on where it has been grown, but mostly yeah it contaminated with shit from bad farming.

Edited by Windappreciator

11 minutes ago, PurpleTree said:

are organic potatoes a good substitute?

i don't know it depends on what organic in the farming practice.

but if you peel them most is out.

so they say

25 minutes ago, Windappreciator said:

i don't know it depends on what organic in the farming practice.

but if you peel them most is out.

so they say

my great-grandparents apparently ate potatoes every lunch

they became 95 and 96 yrs old

but who knows what kind of, pesticides etc. were used at the time and if there was less metal toxicity

Edited by PurpleTree

Regular rice isn't even that great of food. Glycemic Load through the roof, nutritional content poor, fibre super low. The typical white rice with 0.6 grams of fiber per 100g is a poor source of nutrition, shoots your blood sugar through the roof as if you just ate a snickers bar. 

There are better choices such as wild rice, brown rice, red years rice. All of those contain significantly less Arsenic and there are ways to remove up to 75% Arsenic content. @Average Investor made a youtube video on how to do that on it recently, check that out. 

But whenever worried about rice go for other wholegrains, much better sources of fibre and nutrients: buckwheat, quinoa, millet, amaranth, teff. kamut, oats, (and other ancient grains) 

1 hour ago, PurpleTree said:

compared to typical low fibre white rice, yes definitely. Compared to something like high fibre brown rice, buckwheat or other whole-grain, not really. But nutritionally speaking, potatoes are a pretty complex food and a good source of many nutrients. Sweet potatoes are a better choice tho 

Also, one thing about arsenic is that you can't avoid it 100%. Because it is a natural component of the soil and over milenia humans have actually got pretty good at eliminating with half-life being only about 5 days. So another strategy is not to have those foods all the time to allow your body to remove any trace arsenic. So it comes down to eating a large variety of foods and not sticking to traditional meat & rice diet. 

Also, fibre and different polyphenols in plants may help you remove arsenic even more efficiently so again it is not as simple as "rice is bad because of arsenic" , it comes down to what else is on the plate. This is a same issue with mercury for example. Absorbtion from a can of tuna if it is combined with shitload of vegetable swill bee significantly less then is you just eat can of tuna with bread, with insufficient fibre, colonic transit is slowed down and heavy metals have more time to leach onto carriers and be absorbed and even reabsorbed again once detoxified through the hepatic circulation. 

Gut health is also important. For example overgrowth of colonies of beta-glucuronidase can accelerate the reopening of toxins that passed through glucuronidation pathways(used to detoxify xenobiotics and many drugs)  and lead to reabsorption of toxins that have already been processed. Typical low fibre high meat diet is a paradise for beta-glucuronidase overgrowthSame if the gut health is messed up, one will probably absorb way more toxins. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

10 minutes ago, PurpleTree said:

my great-grandparents apparently ate potatoes every lunch

they became 95 and 96 yrs old

but who knows what kind of, pesticides etc. were used at the time and if there was less metal toxicity

It really depends on the lands they are grown on, how it has been treated.

but you should be fine, just peel.

how about lentils.

they're surely a healthy, delicious food?

also a great source of protein, i could eat lentils almost everyday.

are they also killing the tree?

3 hours ago, PurpleTree said:

how about lentils.

Potatoes should be good since they grow under the ground. Even if the plant gets sprayed with something, they won't directly get pesticides and stuff on them.

Lentils grow in pods. Generally stuff that you have to peel like oranges, etc it's safer to eat unorganic than stuff like apples where you eat the skin. But rice plants also have a covering on the rice that you have to thresh it out of, so it might still pull chemicals out of the soil just like rice, idk.

Also the potatoes you buy at the store are generally grown in North America where we have more strict standards, vs rice and lentils grown overseas in countries with less health and pollution regulations.

People from Okinawa live longer than anywhere in the world on average and they eat lots of purple sweet potatoes, so that'd be what I'd go with.

Edited by Yarco

7 minutes ago, Yarco said:

Also the potatoes you buy at the store are generally grown in North America where we have more strict standards, vs rice and lentils grown overseas in countries with less health and pollution regulations..

not for me, i'm from europe and potatoes are obviously grown here

i buy every vegetable organic, rice too but that's usually from asia

On 2/4/2022 at 8:08 AM, Michael569 said:

All of those contain significantly less Arsenic

this is false. Brown rice has more Arscenic than white. @Michael569

check your facts mr. nutritionist

Edited by Yali

2 hours ago, Yali said:

Brown rice has more Arscenic than white.

That's probably correct.  However, on a deeper level, it has not been persuasively demonstrated that urinary output (how much arsenic people pee out after eating one or the other) in people eating one or the other differs significantly. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5502079/

Quote: 
"Another study used NHANES data to examine the association between brown and polished white rice intake separately and urinary arsenic (both t-As and i-As) concentrations in adults (Wu et al., 2015). Both white and brown rice consumption were associated with higher urinary t-As. However, urinary t-As excluding arsenobetaine did not differ between participants who primarily consume white versus brown rice. Mean urinary concentrations of the sum of arsenic metabolites excluding arsenobetaine were 11.5 μg/L among participants who ate <1 cup/day white rice, 13.1 μg/L among those who ate ≥1 cup/day white rice, and 7.9 μg/L among non-rice eaters. For brown rice eaters, the mean urinary i-As concentrations were 10.9 μg/L among those who ate <1 cup/day brown rice only and 13.1 μg/L for those who ate ≥1 cup/day brown rice. "

My take on this would be that: 

• it probably depends on where the white & brown rice is sourced from (exposure seems to differ based on geographical location of growth)
  • It may be that while white rice has less arsenic, the high fiber content of brown rice is important factor in how much is absorbed vs hug much is excreted. And then nobody easts just the rice, we eat other foods with it that may influence tissue absorption of arsenic
  • individual differences (genetic and otherwise) in arsenic detoxification and elimination may be important as well 
  • it also depends on the volume of rice consumed per period of time. Higehr portions consumed regularly may cause larger buildup over time, for example if someone consumes 1/2 cup daily vs if someone consumes 1 cup twice a week. 
  • it also depends on how we cook it, there is some clear data on this that the more we cook the rice and especially if we rinse it once or twice the more of the arsenic is removed 

In summary, I think the topic is probably more complicated than just saying rice A is bad and rice B is good. There are a large number of variables in play. If you can, link me any data that shows the significantly higher urinary output of arsenic after brown rice consumption vs white rice consumption if you have any. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569

I'll ask my question here:

Is organic food worth buying if the nutritonal content is the same as conventionally grown food?

The quantity at which pesticides are found in conventionally grown food is not dangerous 

Edited by Yali

I think as a general rule, avoid eating any kind of grain as much as possible. The first settlements of agriculture were found about 10000 years ago, when we as species star gathering as societies. Before this we ate mostly meat, some fruits a little bit of vegetables. So for the most part of our evolution we didn't touch grains, not at all. 

3 hours ago, Juan said:

be more respectful towards

I don't respect nutritonists in general.  @Juan

Much of their advice seems to be based on belief rather than direct expierence which I find highly problematic. 

Edited by Yali

8 hours ago, Yali said:

I don't respect nutritonists in general.  @Juan

Much of their advice seems to be based on belief rather than direct expierence which I find highly problematic. 

@Yali well, still, he is not calling you with any names right? Nutritionist people are doing their best to help humanity at large anyway so. I just think that we should threat others they way we wanted to be threatened too, depending the circumstances of course. If I don’t like somebody’s take, I move on, ignore it, if not then I see if I can expand awareness on the subject asking certain questions, either questioning somebody’s knowledge/belief system (maybe to help him out, you name the example) or try to move forward the conversation. 

I know for a fact that @Michael569 has done A LOT for the forum. But hey man, at the end, you do you. ??

Edited by Juan