SQAAD

Leo's Video About Bias Makes No Sense To me

36 posts in this topic

I've watched Leo's video about Bias and it left me confused completely. Some things I understood. Some others don't make sense to me yet... 

For example I see the point in becoming less biased against people of different race. But I don't see the point of even discussing bias about things like sexual aversion or attraction. It's just built into the biological system.

Let's make a distinction between Bias towards Mental positions and Bias of The Body. Bias of the body cannot be changed. Your body does not like pain or a knife slicing through your fingers like butter. This is Biology. Not bias. 

The reason I don't want my moms vagina is because it won't produce the same pleasure and dopamine for me. That's just biology. It's not logic. It's not philosophy. Its not a simple mater of preference. When I prefer normal temperature vs being frozen to death it is simply because the pain of being frozen motivates me to avoid it. My body forces me to like and dislike certain things. Your mind cannot ever like or love getting tortured to death. It's a bodily system you cannot change. 

How can I ever choose to prefer dying a horrible death by cancer when it feels so gaddamn awful? Even if I choose it still it doesn't change much. 

Our bodies motivate and force us to like pleasure and dislike pain. Biased or not it makes absolutely no difference. I would like to love everything. Our bodies are not designed this way. God made us biased and we cannot be unbiased to things like enjoying sex or disliking torture. 

Also if you were to be unbiased then why do personal development? Why take supplements? Why be biased towards understanding? Why treat your illnesses? 

Simply because you like it. You like certain things. And dislike others. Your body prefers eating ice-cream over a piece of turd. 

This cannot be changed no matter what mental gymnastics you do. Not liking pain is not a bias. It's biology. Or we could say its a bias of the body that cannot be modified. Only mental positions can be modified. Good luck ever preferring turds over ice-cream or torture over sex even if you are as conscious as Ramana Maharshi. Even he had biases because he had a body forcing him to. 

It doesn't matter if in the absolute sense everything it's the same. Because we only operate from the relative. In our experience differences exist. Our bodies cannot be fooled into liking everything. 

Bias is a good thing. That's why you have it. It's part of God's design. God doesn't want you to enjoy pain. It's meant to be unpleasant. Therefore it's not a mere matter of a simple bias. 

Edited by SQAAD

But God would

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

9 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

But God would

@Thought Art God designed it so we dislike pain and enjoy pleasure. We cannot override this system. 

Nor do I see a reason to override it. 

Edited by SQAAD

@SQAAD You don’t need to. I don’t think that is the point. 

God also created a world in which you can and do feel those things. God wants to be how it is… which includes pain and pleasure and all the shit your biases against. God is all of that and fully embraces all of it.

There are people out there who do enjoy sex with their mother, or a goat, or pain. People have weird fetishes. Bugs, animals and aliens all have their own thing too. 

Dung Beatles love shit. Some animals willingly die during mating etc…

You don’t need to give up all your biases but it may be useful to understand how your biases work and shape you and how they are finite and relative to you. 

Your self biased as a human, and a human with a particular cultural programming. What you think right now is ‘biological’ is also up for debate. 

God is all humans, all species, all emotions, all taboos, as kinks, all feeling all possibilities and infinities.

You are just one limited aspect of this grand totality 

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

@Thought Art

2 hours ago, Thought Art said:

I don't think God's mind is free of all biases. I think God prefers that we are in a state of ease most of the time. That's why he created pain and suffering as signals to help us navigate this maze towards a more fulfilling life.

When Leo says God has no biases maybe he means something I am not understanding right now. What I am interpreting when I hear that God has no biases is that God doesn't care at all about our well being which is very threatening and scary. If that's the case then we are dealing with a God that is stupid. 

I believe God has bias towards creating the most magnificent dream possible. 

31 minutes ago, SQAAD said:

@Thought Art

I don't think God's mind is free of all biases. I think God prefers that we are in a state of ease most of the time. That's why he created pain and suffering as signals to help us navigate this maze towards a more fulfilling life.

When Leo says God has no biases maybe he means something I am not understanding right now. What I am interpreting when I hear that God has no biases is that God doesn't care at all about our well being which is very threatening and scary. If that's the case then we are dealing with a God that is stupid. 

You are referring to avoidance of pain and suffering. But avoiding pain and suffering doesn't seem to promote awakening. If God created pain, then perhaps he did it so that in its transcendence, realising that it is NOT YOU, you come home. 

Accepting pain and suffering as it arises, without identifying with it, is the way. Pain is "good" in that respect. It's useful. Just ask a Vipassana meditator.

In my own experience of Vipassana, moving the awareness around the body for day after gruelling day, hour after gruelling hour, focusing on sensations (mostly pain due to holding the same positions for such long periods) it was eventually recognised that "I" am awareness alone: Not awareness plus bodily sensations. Not awareness plus thought. Just awareness.

When this realisation struck, I couldn't stop smiling and laughing. It is pure liberation.

Edited by axiom

Apparently.

The problem is Leo is inconsistent and equivocating in his communication so you will get confused

Essentially the human perspective is just a single lens, so your belief that you have this innate inbuilt inherent objective attraction, isn't ultimate true

Everything can be transcend... EVERYTHING including your humanity, and when you do, you realise being a human is a bias, and you want to overcome as much as possible.... ever wonder why monks etc renounce biology? do you see the meta pattern here? (leo himself still hasn't grasped this pattern)

Pure God contains all possibilities 

◭"89"

2 hours ago, SQAAD said:

@Thought Art

These are YOUR biases 

◭"89"

19 hours ago, SQAAD said:

@Thought Art

What I am interpreting when I hear that God has no biases is that God doesn't care at all about our well being which is very threatening and scary.

I just image God bending like the ouroboros and being threatened and scared by his own ass. 

It makes no sense to you cause you're biased.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@SQAAD That video was soo good man. Try to understand it may require watching a few other videos.

21 hours ago, SQAAD said:

God designed it so we dislike pain and enjoy pleasure

Hell yea otherwise it would be infinite love which already is the case so life would be pointless. 

Anyone who says they’re enlightened on this form in anyway is not, except me I am. 

@SQAAD

Of course you don't want something that is harmful for your ego and you will justify that act with all arguments that come to your mind like it's just biology, god designed it that way or I don't see reason to overdrive it. Isin't that crystal clear that you won't participate in process that kills you in the end? Your game you play is to be alive and that's it. Everyone wants a long life, guess why.

Of course racist would say that oh it's just so natural to hate other races, because it is just our defense mechanism that god created for us and I cannot see why would I overdrive that on purpose.

Could you see that this bias is so strong that you even deny its existence?

You don't like pain, because it's alert system of your body that indicates when something is wrong from YOUR POINT OF PERSPECTIVE FOR YOU.

First of all there is no you that those things are harmful for, so stop believing in "I" that you can't even find from your direct experience (you may argue that you have sense of self, but that is just product of that belief) and come talk here again after discovering NO-SELF.

In the end only thing that matters is that "you" enjoy life as much as you want, so do whatever you want and believe in anything that serves you, but when it comes to discover what there is without your assumptions then that does not depend from what you think and what you want.

Love yo <3

Who told you that "others" are real?

@Leo Gura

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It makes no sense to you cause you're biased.

Could you elaborate some more please?

Isn't the point of all this work we are doing to live the best life possible(which is a bias)??

If you were not to prefer one thing over another then how would you even live? What would you even choose or desire?

How would you even make a Choice what to do in life?? This is why it makes no sense after a certain point.

If you were to love everything the same you would be paralyzed by indecisiveness. You would be a total madman.

I know you said that we cannot remove all biases. And thats because it would be pure insanity. 

Edited by SQAAD

@ChrisZoZo

3 hours ago, ChrisZoZo said:

@SQAAD That video was soo good man. Try to understand it may require watching a few other videos.

Hell yea otherwise it would be infinite love which already is the case so life would be pointless. 

Yes the video was one of his best. But i find it super confusing. For the last 7 years Leo has been creating Biased content towards living the best life and Understanding.

And now with this video it left me completely puzzled. What would it even mean to have no biases?

Does that mean its fine to live the worst life possible too?

How would you even Choose what to do next if you were to have no biases??

This is very threatening and negates his previous work in a way.

Edited by SQAAD

@Kksd74628

1 hour ago, Kksd74628 said:

@SQAAD

Of course you don't want something that is harmful for your ego and you will justify that act with all arguments that come to your mind like it's just biology, god designed it that way or I don't see reason to overdrive it. Isin't that crystal clear that you won't participate in process that kills you in the end? Your game you play is to be alive and that's it. Everyone wants a long life, guess why.

Of course racist would say that oh it's just so natural to hate other races, because it is just our defense mechanism that god created for us and I cannot see why would I overdrive that on purpose.

Could you see that this bias is so strong that you even deny its existence?

You don't like pain, because it's alert system of your body that indicates when something is wrong from YOUR POINT OF PERSPECTIVE FOR YOU.

First of all there is no you that those things are harmful for, so stop believing in "I" that you can't even find from your direct experience (you may argue that you have sense of self, but that is just product of that belief) and come talk here again after discovering NO-SELF.

In the end only thing that matters is that "you" enjoy life as much as you want, so do whatever you want and believe in anything that serves you, but when it comes to discover what there is without your assumptions then that does not depend from what you think and what you want.

Love yo <3

I am not denying my biases. Biases of the body as like not enjoying pain are undeniable.

Also there is no 'you' But there is a body that is designed in a very specific way. It needs biases to survive. I am a puppet of the body. So is everyone else.

The body is a force of nature and it wants to survive. Good luck changing that. 

Edited by SQAAD

7 minutes ago, SQAAD said:

How would you even Choose what to do next if you were to have no biases??

One without any bias would probably be in samadhi I think.

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

@Thought Art @Thought Art

20 hours ago, Thought Art said:

These are YOUR biases 

We are all biased. Thats the point. Even God is biased in some way. Its not anything goes. All possibilities doesnt mean no preferences over the best dream possible.

God would be stupid if he designed the universe without a preference. He is not biased in the sense that he treats us all equally. But i am talking about smthing else here.

God is biased towards the best dream because 'He' is intelligent. 

Edited by SQAAD

@SQAAD

There are no biases of body. There is bias that someone wants to keep body alive and therefore it needs to do whatever is needed to keep that functional. You are not conscious what pain is, because after all it's just sensation and I did strong determination sitting meditation and when I finally surrended to the pain, suffering went away and there came bliss. Suffering is resisting that what happens anyways.

2 minutes ago, SQAAD said:

God is biased towards the best dream because 'He' is intelligent.

Now you just made that up and see that this is also a thought.

Point is just to be conscious of all biases and what you want and when you know what you want then be "biased" towards that. Thing is that most of us have lot of biases that actually lead to the opposite direction that where we really want to go. Also when you "want" something and when that does not happen you suffer, because things didn't go your way. That's the main reason why you should stop being biased towards things that you can't control.

Hope that this helps you to understand better : ) 

Who told you that "others" are real?

4 minutes ago, Kksd74628 said:

There are no biases of body

I think if body didn't have any bias for survival then it wouldn't bother to heal and maintain itself 24/7.

Edited by Salvijus

Those you do not forgive you fear.