Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shiva99

Milk problem

6 posts in this topic

I haven't been drinking milk for a very, very long time apart from a little bit in my coffee. Whenever i drink a whole glass of it now, my stomach starts bloating and i get crazy cramps. What could this be? I'm not lactose intolerant or anything.

Edited by Shiva99

"I should've been a statistic, but decided to go against all odds instead. What if?" - David Goggins.

3 minutes ago, Shiva99 said:

I haven't been drinking milk for a very, very long time apart from a little bit in my coffee. When i drink a whole glass of it now, my stomach starts bloating and i get crazy cramps. What could this be? I'm not lactose intolerant or anything.

Hmm, how do you know that you are not lactose intolerant?
This sounds like a med-school exam question of someone who is lactose intolerant because bloating/cramps are textbook typical for that haha! 

Edited by undeather

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

5 minutes ago, undeather said:

Hmm, how do you know that you are not lactose intolerant?
This sounds like a med-school exam question of someone who is lactose intolerant because bloating/cramps are textbook typical for that haha! 

I don't think i am lactose intolerant because i never had problems with this. I used to drink tons of milk when i was young without any problems.

"I should've been a statistic, but decided to go against all odds instead. What if?" - David Goggins.

46 minutes ago, undeather said:

Could lactose intolerance develop throughout life even if there wasn't anything during childhood? How common is that? 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

10 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

Could lactose intolerance develop throughout life even if there wasn't anything during childhood? How common is that? 

Yea, very common. 

There was a video that explained it nicely but I can't find it now. 

Edited by Opo

53 minutes ago, Shiva99 said:

I don't think i am lactose intolerant because i never had problems with this. I used to drink tons of milk when i was young without any problems.

13 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

Yeah, thats absolutely possible - there are 3 distinguishable ways an intolerance can manifest: 
- Congenital complete genetic defect (very rare)
- Primary: Usually decrease in lactase activity in childhood/adolescence (only affects adults) 
- Secondary: As a result of a small intestine disease (e.g. celiac disease ; transient after gastroenteritis)

The frequencey varies enormously worldwide: lowest prevalence in Northwestern Europe, rates incline across southern Europe and the Middle East and are highest in Asia and most of Africa!

@Shiva99 : Easy way to find out! Iam 95% sure its just a simple lactose intolerance, which can develop throughout your life (as mentioned above). Get tested at your local general practitioner! 

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke