Unio

When is one old enough to start using psychedelics?

24 posts in this topic

Hey!

I am tempted to try some psychedelics for personal development but I am 18 and worried that it might stunt my brain development. Is this just the "say no to drugs" seminars I attended in middle school lingering or is it a valid concern I have?

happy to hear your thoughts :)

Few good long term research is available for age groups. Simply because there was a ban on using psychedelics for research without government approval.

Id say try it when your 23-24 thats the age I used them at, but also and for credibility’s sake, I’ve heard that brain development is not over until your 25.

If you need psychedelics badly to resolve your depression or some other issue/reason I’d say wait until 20. Take into account that your reasoning, planing, being driven by impulses varies as you grow up. Theres less chance that you might take more than you can handle, or think you got a good handle on ‘tripping’ but then end up in a bad situation if you trip when your older. 

I would say at least 25, or when you are more or less self-sufficient or in a position to make life changes based on psychedelic insights.  At best, psychedelics will offer greater self-knowledge, i.e. this is what's dysfunctional in my life and this is how I need to change it.  And sure, spiritual insights can be a part of that, because how you view reality will have an impact on every aspect of your life.  But you still have to make actual life changes in order to benefit.  In short, psychedelics are not a magic bullet, but an aid, a tool to facilitate change.

Think Leo in one episode sayd that if it was up to him, he would put 5meo in water supplies so you could get it in your tab water. So I suppose as soon as you are old enought to drink water :)

51 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Think Leo in one episode sayd that if it was up to him, he would put 5meo in water supplies so you could get it in your tab water. So I suppose as soon as you are old enought to drink water :)

This is a dangerous way of talking about this topic. Many people tried to “turn the whole world ON” when LSD was first being made, Almost all I heard of went to jail for this.

This is beside the point that taking 5-Meo would make you unable to tell between pain and pleasure or your surroundings. People who are stupid enough (and also probably uninformed, young and daring) suffocated in swimming pools while on 5-meo.

Leo jokes about this but he really should be more responsible, giving that his audience can be young and feel like they have nothing to risk.

25 + years old, non negotiable, and don't put psychedelics in tap water, very irresponsible.

7 hours ago, Gregory1 said:

5.5 years.

5,5 years of what?

8 hours ago, Gregory1 said:

Depends on how mature you are.

Yeah, a girl in my high school (17 at the time) tried a pretty large dose of DMT willy-nilly without any theoretical knowledge of spirituality or anything like that. She ended up getting so freaked out by what she experienced that she temporarily regressed from a solid stage green to blue and went to a pastor to repent her sins. LOL 

Edited by Unio

@Unio I felt the need to use psychedelics, ever since the age of 22-23, but It never happened, I always asked the people around me that I knew had this stuff. But they always dodged my question and it never happened. I was so bummed out by it. Until age of 28 when I started using them after a psychedelic retreat. And then I understood that It never happened for me (then), because I wasnt ready. I wouldnt have been able to handle it.

I would recommend 25+, I know It sounds aweful and something a parent would say. But after what I have witnessed from others and myself.
Its like that for a reason. The psyche of a human, isnt fully developed until the age of 25. Some are lucky, "early" bloomers. I would say that I was a semi-latebloomer.
This is only my advice, and recommendation. But you are responsible for your reality ;)

“Life is just a break from an Infinite Orgasm. Prolong your break for as long as you want. Ride that wave. But don’t forget where you're headed.”

You have a lot of tools available to you right now. You have: Nootropics, Meditation, Cold-showers, Eating a healthy/healthier diet, Exercise, Shamanic breathing, Living a healthy lifestyle, Connecting to like-minded people, Cutting out bad influence and friends and people that arent the best for your development. Reading books and helping your big-picture understanding of life and reality. (Leo's booklist) and your own intrests.
Build up a great foundation, as good as you can, and whenever you do start using psychedelics with good intentions, you will have a smooth and easy time making sense and accepting the gifts that psychedelics offer you. Bad trips will and might happen, but in hindsight, it will make you grow so much more.

“Life is just a break from an Infinite Orgasm. Prolong your break for as long as you want. Ride that wave. But don’t forget where you're headed.”

2 minutes ago, Vincent S said:

You have a lot of tools available to you right now. You have: Nootropics, Meditation, Cold-showers, Eating a healthy/healthier diet, Exercise, Shamanic breathing, Living a healthy lifestyle, Connecting to like-minded people, Cutting out bad influence and friends and people that arent the best for your development. Reading books and helping your big-picture understanding of life and reality. (Leo's booklist) and your own intrests.
Build up a great foundation, as good as you can, and whenever you do start using psychedelics with good intentions, you will have a smooth and easy time making sense and accepting the gifts that psychedelics offer you. Bad trips will and might happen, but in hindsight, it will make you grow so much more.

I agree. I really don't need psychedelics right now. I'm just kinda curious but I will happily wait until 25. I kinda see it as a tool that I will only unlock on higher levels. 

3 minutes ago, Unio said:

I agree. I really don't need psychedelics right now. I'm just kinda curious but I will happily wait until 25. I kinda see it as a tool that I will only unlock on higher levels. 

<3

Probably 25, with all the brain development stuff.

But if you stumble upon Actualized.org, Alan Watts or other non-duality material, and your mind accepts the ideas, you could probably be able to surrender more easily then the average person we're talking about here.

But if you're going to delve deep into this stuff, it's probably good to live a "normal" life until you're 25 anyway, and see the limitations of pleasure and material success first, so you don't open up for more than you can chew while still building a fulfilling life story.

"Beware of unearned wisdom" - Carl Jung

20 hours ago, Unio said:

Hey!

I am tempted to try some psychedelics for personal development but I am 18 and worried that it might stunt my brain development. Is this just the "say no to drugs" seminars I attended in middle school lingering or is it a valid concern I have?

happy to hear your thoughts :)

If you are worried, dont even try psychedelics. Because you aint ready yet.

44 minutes ago, Khan 0 said:

If you are worried, dont even try psychedelics. Because you aint ready yet.

What if I would have used the word cautious instead?

8 minutes ago, Unio said:

What if I would have used the word cautious instead?

Yes you could. But the one who is being cautious will die. Thats what i am saying.